PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Civic 4WD Motor dies when it warms up

-AJ-
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I have a 1989 4WD Civic that starts great and runs great but after running 5-10 minutes as it reaches running temperature it just dies, no missing or indication that there is a probem, it just stops. If I leave it a few seconds it starts again but ony runs for a few seconds then dies again, if I let it cool down it will start OK and run OK till it gets around running temperature (5-10) minutes the dies again. Haven't had time to get into it yet but thought I'd try here in case it is a common problem, will be looking into it on my next days off work. I assume the problem is temperature related but I guess you can never be too sure.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, many thanks
AJ

SHOGUNOVDDRK
03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
G'day mate

Is it fuel injected?

Injectors might need a clean or the Fuel pump might be dead :(

rayb3na_
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
4wd civic? is that for real.. hrmms reckon the whole udnercar is itnerchangeable with an eg?> lol

rawr
04-05-2008, 12:32 PM
^^ its the ef sedan. i cant remember the name.

sorry for hijacking!

-AJ-
04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
It's the twin carb model, they call it a 4WD but I wouldn't want to put it to the test, I think similar vehicles are now called all wheel drives. I am trying to get hold of a circuit diagram for it so that I can trace out and check the electrics.

AJ

ECU-MAN
06-05-2008, 09:09 AM
check the ECU for codes,

you might have a bad EACV or choke mechanism

sounds like the EACV though

nd55
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
> 4wd civic? is that for real.. hrmms reckon the whole undercar is itnerchangeable with an eg?

Honda civic Wagon circa 88-91.
trailing arms are longer and raise the body.
CRV trailing arms are similar and longer again.

EK civic had 4wd version (EK5 RTi) which Kiwi's got but we didn't.
EK also had a station wagon version, Orthia, with 2.0l and 4wd.
Trailing arms are supposed to be bolt on into EK, with eye type shock, but can't 100% confirm.

I've been trying to get a photo of the rear driveline, but no luck.

No luv from Honda Australia for 4wd civics.

Nick.

PS. Sorry for the thread highjack.

-AJ-
10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
It is definately a 4WD, it gives the option of either being 4WD or 2WD but you can't interchange from inside the car. You have to set it to one or the other by swinging a lever on top of the gearbox. It has a 5 speed manual gearbox and also a "Super Low' gear that can be selected if low range is required, only the one gear though.

I have checked for ECU codes but there weren't any. I may have solved the problem as it appears to be behaving itself. I found a dodgy connector block in the ignition circuit but I want to run the motor a while longer before being confident enough to take it on the road.

Thanks to everyone for their help, :D
AJ

98vtir
11-05-2008, 06:59 AM
does the 2wd feature make it fwd or rwd? sounds pretty rad

SHOGUNOVDDRK
11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Congrats on getting the problems soughted out :)

does the 2wd feature make it fwd or rwd? sounds pretty rad

No just FWD

Shame the AWD ones are so rare/hard to find in one piece here :thumbdwn:

-AJ-
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
When in 2 wheel drive the drive is through the front wheels, still wouldn't want to go too far off road in 4WD as the isn't a lot of ground clearance under it, ideal for dirt roads or if you're going to the snow. Also there is better traction with all 4 wheels driving, especially in the wet.

AJ

trism
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
i dont think they are aiming for 4WD off roading.

i think they are looking more for a WRX/GTR style AWD for epic grip

EDCivicPunk
17-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I know what i'd be doing if i were lucky enuff to own one these.
Rip out the front drive shafts and make it RWD. My only dislike about civics is the FWD. Otherwise i love my car :)