PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant and steam / smoke! urgent!

I heart the SSS
05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Sup,

my cars been leaking coolant now and again (after a 15 to 30 minute drive).

I've been meaning to fix it but i haven't had the time to jack her up and check the water pump etc.

Today when i arrived at tafe, she pissed out coolant again and smoke was coming from under the bonnet!

Is it because it's cold outside today, and it's falling on cold metal so it steams ?

Or is it something serious!?

I'm going to leave early and try get it home (hope it lasts a 30 minute drive!)

Any ideas on what I should do?

bennjamin
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
white "smoke" ? Smelt kinda like off apple juice ? chances are its leaking onto the exhaust manifold somewhere. dont breathe it in !

WHERE exactly is it leaking from ?

If you HAVE to get home , open up bonnet and top up the reservoir + radiator with some sort of coolant or plain water as a last resort.

I heart the SSS
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
It's leaking from the underside of the car, on the side of the battery (right if facing the bonnet).

Around where the right engine mount is. (this is a guess from where it was dripping)

I was late for tafe so i didn't have time to examine, and my father taught me not to breath car related smokes in LOL

So it was hard to examine where it was coming from (shit load of smoke)

I guess i'll cruise it home and jack it up, and post more details and photos

I'm farking spewing

bennjamin
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
water pump gone probably. cruise home with ur HOT all the way up , and stop intermittently to top up the coolant that has leaked out. fix ASAP or you will warp your head or worse .

I heart the SSS
05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
That's what I thought too, the water pump.

Do drive home with hot on max and say 2 fan setting?

Thanks a shit load man! i owe you!

aaronng
05-05-2008, 10:29 AM
That's what I thought too, the water pump.

Do drive home with hot on max and say 2 fan setting?

Thanks a shit load man! i owe you!
I'd use max hot and max fan! Also, fill up with water (any water is better than none) for your drive home. Distilled water from the supermarket is best!

I heart the SSS
05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I will do this, I'll pick some water up from the canteen.

Thanks again mate.

Hope I make it home LOL

delsol9000rpms
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
similar problem with my brothers car... the coolant is leaking on to the extractors which is making smoke... apperently its leaking from something at the back of the motor... needs new o'rings to seal it upp??

soru
10-05-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree to the posts above. Don't drive for too long without any coolant. You will overheat the engine which might blow a headgasket and warp the head. Sounds like its leaking at waterpump area.

delsol9000rpms
17-05-2008, 12:19 AM
look carefully behind the inlet manifold after a drive... shine a torch around that area.. you should see the coolant around there.. you wnt mmiss it will be shiney..