PDA

View Full Version : Weird noises coming from my car..

Suzii
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I have a bit of a problem, when it rains hard and I hit the accelerate (fast/slow.. doesn't matter) or brake, i can hear a loud creaking noise and feel vibrations all coming from under the car that doesn't stop until I release brake/ accelerator. It's mainly coming from the driver/ passenger section of the car. I have no clue why its doing that :(

bennjamin
05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
interesting.
Could be broken driveshaft , or engine mount / torque mounts , or even something up in the gearbox.

Mind you , NO ONE here can diagnose an issue , by your word of mouth.
Best to take it to a mechanic asap

vinnY
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
warped rotors causing the wobbling and brake pads vibrating against the caliper causing the other noise?

ben's right though, best take it to a mechanic

Suzii
07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Will do, thanks anyway

SuiJin
08-05-2008, 01:41 AM
shoulda told me, woulda taken you to my mechanics. there pretty much all family friends :p everyone could pass as my girlfriend and get discounts :p except for dudes. lol i anit gonna look gay for you guys.

Paul1985
08-05-2008, 02:15 AM
warped rotors causing the wobbling and brake pads vibrating against the caliper causing the other noise?

ben's right though, best take it to a mechanic

I was thinking the same thing until i noticed he mentioned while accelerating aswell.

If you get a bad steering shudder under braking, your rotors are prob warped, but if it's under accelerating also...

vinnY
08-05-2008, 02:24 AM
i don't see why a warped rotor wouldn't cause some sort of wobble even on acceleration
it'll be hitting the pads constantly as it goes round and make the whole shaft/wheel become unbalanced thus the wobbles

otherwise heaps of stuff that can cause the shudder
broken engine mounts, damaged drive shaft, wheel bearings, gearbox bearings
list goes on and on unfortunately :(

Paul1985
08-05-2008, 04:32 AM
i don't see why a warped rotor wouldn't cause some sort of wobble even on acceleration
it'll be hitting the pads constantly as it goes round and make the whole shaft/wheel become unbalanced thus the wobbles

otherwise heaps of stuff that can cause the shudder
broken engine mounts, damaged drive shaft, wheel bearings, gearbox bearings
list goes on and on unfortunately :(

Pretty sure the rotor wont be constantly hitting the pads.
Its when you apply the brakes and the calipers pistons push the pads against the rotor...

When this happens and the rotor is warped, the pad is contacting the warped surface and it is causing pulling or pushing slightly on the rotor which in turn is slightly pulling or pushing the wheels, thus coming through feel in the steering wheel as shudder under braking...

Thats how i thought the brake shudder occurs with a warped rotor, at least thats what i was taught at trade school.

kayot1k
08-05-2008, 07:55 AM
did you remember to let that guy out of your boot ?

vinnY
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
paul; you're probably right, just putting my info out there as a theory not fact :)

on second thoughts kayot1k might be right, did you?

jdmlvn
08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
agreed with what paul was saying.. and this is my 10cents

when braking with warped rotors you get the push and pull feel and the reason for that is there are parts on the rotor that have more contact and presssure (because its warped outwards) and then theres parts where is has less contact and less pressure and hence the lack of braking power.

so its pretty much braking harder in some spots of the rotor and weaker at other parts.. of course this happens at the speed your wheels and rotor turn.

correct me if i'm wrong guys..

VTECMACHINE
08-05-2008, 10:57 AM
LOL I was thinking ABS... until I read accellerating too

Paul1985
08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Ben's answer is prob closest to what the prob is..

Another thing it could be is your cat... mine makes loud rattling sounds upon startup, doesnt really shake the car though.