PDA

View Full Version : vtec

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
hey. i wanna fix my vtec so it actually works. previous owner couldnt get vtec to work. so they wired up some 12v narva thing to it.. the oil pressure switch isnt plugged in.. so its got the wiring from the solenoid to a little narva 12v charge thing. then goes to the ecu. engine has a little oil leak at the head gasket. my guess is not enough oil pressure ?? thats why vtec wasnt working.. well im after a site that might be able to tell me how to re-wire the oil pressure switch back up ?? just like where it goes after solenoid.. etc etc

cheers

CRXer
05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
So VTEC works with the setup u got now?

VTEC solenoid= 1 wire straight back to ECU

VTEC pressure switch = 2 wires,1 wire(black) goes to thermostat housing ground point,1 wire(coloured wire) goes straight back to ECU,simple.

Wire it back to standard(test all wires & connections) & we'll do some trouble shooting from there.

VTEC pressure switch should be closed when VTEC not operating btw.

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
ok.. no oil pressure thing at all.. not plugged in..
cause previous owner when they put engine in couldnt get vtec to work. im guessing maybe cause of oil leak ??? its not vtec that is working... its some 12v charge thing...

CRXer
05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Im not following u dude.........

Is there an oil pressure switch attached to the engine?

Do u have the plug & wiring to plug into said oil pressure switch?

Is it a VTEC enabled ECU your running(get the code off the side of it if u dont know)?

Does ur car rev smoothly all the way to 8000 rpm(ie is VTEC working)?

A small oil leak shouldnt stop the proper operation of the system.

Take pics & post them if ur having trouble explaining.

Benson
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
for the oil pressure, wire it to the vtec wiring. Then send that one wire to the vtec pinout

CRXer
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
for the oil pressure, wire it to the vtec wiring. Then send that one wire to the vtec pinout

Huh Benny?

If u wire the oil pressure switch to the solenoid,the pressure switch opens when it sees high enough oil pressure & will therefore cut power to the solenoid = no VTEC.

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
ok. previous owner couldnt get vtec to work. so they just wired up the narva 12v thingy to it.. the oil pressure switch is the green thing yeah ?? well it has it on the motor.. but nothing connected..

CRXer
05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
U still havent answered my question,does VTEC work now with the NARVA thingy connected?

Yes the pressure switch is the green thing as u see in the pic below,mine has a plug with 2 wires connected to it,u need that & then wire itup as i said in the first post.Ignore writing on the pic,it was for something else.

The VTEC solenoid is the grey plug just to the right of the pressure switch(green thing),1 wire,u need to take that straight back to the ECU & disconnect the NARVA thingy & throw it in the bin.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1075Small-1.jpg

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
ok well this is my solenoid : sorry shit pics
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4073/oilpressureswitchrx6.jpg

then the wires go from that to this narva thing :
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9489/narvarr9.jpg

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
then that narva thing goes to my ecu...

CRXer
05-05-2008, 08:54 PM
U still havent answered my question,does VTEC work now,yes or no? It will help a lot if u answer this.

U need to go to the wanted to buy section & post up a thread asking for a VTEC oil pressure switch plug with some wire hanging out of it,so u can wire this up.Or go to the wreckers & find one.

It looks like theyve hooked up a relay to try to make it work at the moment,triggered by god only knows what.

We also need to work out if u have a VTEC enabled ECU,maybe thats why they have gone for alternative means.

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
i said. vtec doesnt work. what is engaging is not vtec. i have p30 ecu. at 5200 rpm it changes revs. its not vtec. its something to do with that narva thing..

CRXer
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I dont exactly know what u mean by "changes revs",but anyway go get the bits u need,the ECU is the right one,& wire it up how its supposed to be,chuck the NARVA relay & all associated wiring in the bin & we'll see if VTEC works then.

ef-civic
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
and if it doesnt ?

ACTI0NMAN-1
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
what state are you in mate, i'm sure someone will be willing to have a look at it for you. looks like a 2min job to diagnose their wiring issue.

CRXer
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
If it doesnt,then we'll start troubleshooting from there.

It could be many things,ECU,oil pressure,oil pressure switch,solenoid,coolant temp sensor,VSS signal,even just simply bad wiring.

What are u worried about,it doesnt work now,so it has to be fixed,so get to it & find that oil pressure switch plug & wires & fix it.