PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a b16

4p1ay
06-05-2008, 01:50 PM
just a quick question about it being worth rebuilding it or just get another one... long term v short term and costs would be great... coz its hitting about 220000ks so seeing if its worth getting rebuilt...

vinnY
06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
both are a bit of a gamble, but if you wanted to keep the b16 then i'd say rebuild it
if you plonked in another engine with unknown history then you might just be replacing an old engine with another old engine

zco
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
buying a used b16a motor itself, will cost you about 1k

dupac->
12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
depends on what you wanna do?
if you're gonna leave it standard and not fiddle with it.. you should be fine with 220 000kms. its not actually on its last legs.. rebuild could actually wait.

4p1ay
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
yeah totally understand what you mean, and i will fiddle with it a little

zco where can you get a b16a for about 1k? if that is the price i may as well look into getting another one

edit: also any approximate costs on rebuilding?

omgzilla
14-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I've been looking into this myself actually. I've got a B16A aswell, just done the timing belt and water pump a few weeks ago (coming up to 200,000klms).

I'm starting to save for an inevitable rebuild at some point in the not so distant future.

Thinking about the given things you'll need for a basic rebuild (head only):

- Labour = $0 if DIY / Upwards of $1000+ at a workshop.
- VRS Kit = $250.
- Head Bolts = $200.
- Head Reconditioning (depending on severity of wear/damage) = up to $1000+.
- Water Pump (if needed) = $150.
- Timing Belt (if needed) = $100.
- Miscellaneous (oil, coolant, filters, hoses etc) = $250.

There will always be a few little things here and there that you may encounter, when doing the rebuild, that you didn't expect/account for, so it's a good idea to have that extra bit in your budget for the miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Then there's another thing; if you want to modify/add-on new bits whilst you're rebuilding such as upgrading cams, valve springs etc. Also - if you want to rebuild the bottom end aswell you can expect to pay for things like Main bearings, Conrod bearings, Piston rings, Oil Pan Gasket etc, not to mention a bigger labour bill again.

Those prices are a rough guide but it gives you an idea of the things to think about.

I'm sure there will be a thing or 2 i've missed out that the Honda heads will add to.

I'm thinking about pulling my motor out and possibly doing a B20 bottom end build aswell as a new HD clutch and lightened flywheel. But that is something to think about when the time comes...

sendok
14-05-2008, 11:15 AM
if u want to rebuild your b16, rebuild with upgrading the internals, so dont waste your money rebuild with the stock internal... :D

string
14-05-2008, 04:27 PM
if u want to rebuild your b16, rebuild with upgrading the internals, so dont waste your money rebuild with the stock internal... :D
Spending money on 'stronger' parts is a waste of money if you don't need it. Stock pistons are very cheap, and stock rods are very strong. If you are staying N/A, stock everything is the way to go, including ITR valve-train.