PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

nwa111
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
just changed timing belt on my 5th gen lude n its making a weird noise??
would any 1 wat it is ??

mclovin
06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
can you describe the noise for everyone as it could be a couple of things.

is it a whirring noise - if so it may be that the belt is loose and making the noise.

did you change the belt tensioner - if not it could have a fcked bearing and is being made worse as the new belt is a lot tighter than the old one.

give us a better description as it will give us a better chance of actually diagnosing the fault properly.

ECU-MAN
07-05-2008, 09:08 AM
as above was the tentioner replaced,

was it done by a place that knows Honda's ?

nwa111
07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
thanks for ur healp guys but i took it to the mechanic and they said the timing belt was to tight

andiiso
07-05-2008, 10:03 PM
yer if its a pigeon noise, the timing belt is too tight lolz like a high pitchish type .. mines like dat atm =p

teh_mechanic
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
as above was the tentioner replaced,

was it done by a place that knows Honda's ?

problem has been solved,but...

ECU-MAN , what precautions are there regarding honda timing belts/tentioners? interested for my own knowledge

migoreng
15-05-2008, 10:25 PM
hey. i seem to have a noise like this sometimes.
the thing is i can only hear it in the car. when i poke my head out of the window or look at the engine bay the noise can't be heard.
it probably happens for a short while then doesn't happen again for a week or so.
i notice when i use power switches in the car like aircon/power windows the sound seems to stop or doesn't sound as loud.
also it only happens when idling. as soon as any gas is applied the sound goes away.

like someone said it sounds like a pigeon noise...

any ideas?
i don't know if the timing belt was changed recently.
car has done 174k
i know the belt was done at just under 80k...
so the belt could have done nearly 100,000km or it could have been changed in the last year or 2...
is there a way to tell?

ECU-MAN
16-05-2008, 08:03 AM
problem has been solved,but...

ECU-MAN , what precautions are there regarding honda timing belts/tentioners? interested for my own knowledge

VTIR H22 uses hydraulic tentioners.

they should be replaced as you dont know if they will fail or not with in the next 100000km

sendok
16-05-2008, 11:00 PM
hey. i seem to have a noise like this sometimes.
the thing is i can only hear it in the car. when i poke my head out of the window or look at the engine bay the noise can't be heard.
it probably happens for a short while then doesn't happen again for a week or so.
i notice when i use power switches in the car like aircon/power windows the sound seems to stop or doesn't sound as loud.
also it only happens when idling. as soon as any gas is applied the sound goes away.

like someone said it sounds like a pigeon noise...

any ideas?
car has done 174k
so the belt could have done nearly 100,000km or it could have been changed in the last year or 2...
is there a way to tell?

did you notice if that noise comes when is at warm engine, cool engine, or something? probably it's need a change..

panda[cRx]
16-05-2008, 11:07 PM
i highly recommend AGAINST getting yout cambelt done by anyone unless you know they have plenty of experience with hondas and know what they are doing. many generic workshops have no idea how to do a simple cambelt change and end up calling dealerships for instructions.

and yes as for tensioners in preludes and accords, look for any signs of leaks and if u find any replace the tensioner. while it is a very safe option you don't necessarily need to change the tensioner at each cambelt change

car has done 174k
is there a way to tell?

not really, unless they know what type of belt was used at 80k (you can check if it's different now). otherwise it can be hard to tell. if you are unsure of the replacement history it's a good idea to just get it done. imo it's a better option than trusting a guess!
for those that don't know, the cambelt schedule on all hondas (with cambelts) is every 5 years or 100,00kms, whichever occurs first

migoreng
17-05-2008, 08:20 AM
;1689964']

not really, unless they know what type of belt was used at 80k (you can check if it's different now). otherwise it can be hard to tell. if you are unsure of the replacement history it's a good idea to just get it done. imo it's a better option than trusting a guess!
for those that don't know, the cambelt schedule on all hondas (with cambelts) is every 5 years or 100,00kms, whichever occurs first

the first belt change was done at a honda dealer.

the noise doesn't happen often. it happened like 5 days ago when i was leaving work at night and i think it has only ever happened at night. i've only had the car for 2 months. its probably happened 3 or 4 times so probably every 2 weeks.

i think it happens on a warm engine. the noise definately isn't there when i started the car when leaving work. i noticed it after 2 or 3 km of driving.

it only lasts for around 20minutes. when the car is idling with no electric things on you can hear it pretty clear.
when i turn on the aircon (low settings) it seems to make the noise a little quieter. operating the sunroof/windows seems to nearly eliminate the noise.

sendok
18-05-2008, 11:08 AM
^ agree with panda [cRx] it is best to have them check by a professional / exprienced Honda mechanic. belt and tensioner is the main to be checked. you can always open the belt cover yourself to check if the belt worn out or lose, but the best option is go to a pro mechanic to do it...

it's happen to me before, close to the time changing belt but after i change it, everything gone :D smooth!

trism
18-05-2008, 03:37 PM
the first belt change was done at a honda dealer.

the noise doesn't happen often. it happened like 5 days ago when i was leaving work at night and i think it has only ever happened at night. i've only had the car for 2 months. its probably happened 3 or 4 times so probably every 2 weeks.

i think it happens on a warm engine. the noise definately isn't there when i started the car when leaving work. i noticed it after 2 or 3 km of driving.

it only lasts for around 20minutes. when the car is idling with no electric things on you can hear it pretty clear.
when i turn on the aircon (low settings) it seems to make the noise a little quieter. operating the sunroof/windows seems to nearly eliminate the noise.

well if the noise changes with the operation of things electrical, then its obvious the problem has something to do with electrics.

if you cant hear it when you stick your head out the window, its not a engine problem, its prob inside the cabin

mclovin
19-05-2008, 09:31 PM
well if the noise changes with the operation of things electrical, then its obvious the problem has something to do with electrics.

if you cant hear it when you stick your head out the window, its not a engine problem, its prob inside the cabin

not exactly true. operating electrics, for example air con increases engine load which effects engine rpm. any noise that is being made by rotating components will also change or stop.

a lot of noises in the engine bay cannot be heard from outside the vehicle as they are simply drowne by engine or driving noises but can be heard from the cabin as harmonics come into play.