PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Spray paintin on Plastic??

CIV73C
10-09-2004, 01:12 AM
NEed some help and advice on spray painting on plastic.

will i need an undercoat of some sort? to get the paint stickin onthe plastic??

wat would i need ??

alan
10-09-2004, 02:20 AM
the guy at autobarn recommend me use plastic undercoat can thingy but i tried with and without using it and it seemed the same

Dr4g0n
10-09-2004, 04:21 AM
just make sure you degrease and dewax the plastic surface you wanna paint thoroughly. if you don't, when you spray the paint, it'll run off the parts that you didn't prep properly. use a fine sandpaper to roughen up the surface abit but don't make the scoring to big...light scratches only...

CIV73C
10-09-2004, 10:47 AM
yeah..i'll giv that a try dis arvo.. just sand the plastic down a lil and giv it a spray..
c how it goes

SiR JDM
10-09-2004, 02:27 PM
let us know how it goes mate =)

pics would b nice too :)

-MuGen PoWer-
10-09-2004, 04:29 PM
yeah let us know
interested to see the results

armak81
10-09-2004, 05:21 PM
You may require:

1. Steel wool (scuff up the plastic surface)
2. Prepsol (removes dirt particles, grease, fingerprints, other crap on the surface)
3. Plastic primer (can be bought in a can)
4. Light sanding, 500 or 600 grit should be good enough (if you primer is uneven)

this is the prep work I did to paint my plastic side mouldings

Ironfist
10-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I've done mine how the above ppl have suggested. Turns out pretty good.
Just make sure you hold the nozzle a fair distance from the plastic... cos i found it can be unforgiving in the bright light of where some bits may be a bit darker then others. Even with coats ontop to hide it.

CIV73C
11-09-2004, 10:30 AM
i prob wont b doin it soon.. im still deciding on wat colour i wanna spray it..
coz i was plannin on sprayin the oem fog light covers for an EG civic if u guyz kno wat im talkin bout..
just a lil indecisive atm..

Ironfist
11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Spray it the same colour as your car. Gives it that clean lower look imo

|N|
11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
just did the same to my car last week.. turn out pretty good..
:)

DCLXVI
12-09-2004, 01:45 AM
i used the regular undercoat paint from SuperCheapAutos.. it serve the purpose well. and the paint i used stick well to it too..

Sandin it down is very important during prep. Make sure the surface is smooth and free of grease or any wax compound. After each coating try wet sanding it with 1200 grit abrasive papers. but not for the final coat and the clears.

I completed my mirrors, my door handles and my door trims. The frost white from autobarn aint quite similar to those used my hondas.. therefore its abit yellowish in comparison. And the clears from autobarn makes it even more yellowish. So if you r sprayin it white. i suggest u use white polish & wax after its completely dry. buff it and it will look like a professional job. :P Good luck with the project.

SiR JDM
13-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Yea, ive seen Stan's (DCLXVI) paint job, the only thing wrong with his job was the colour of the paint, it does have a little yellow tinge in it, but that wasn't his fault..

Its good advice... take it :P!

michael_antoi
10-11-2004, 04:39 PM
i wanna paint the black strips on my doors and also the mirrors...

what should i do in order to get a spray paint exactly the same color as my car?

if anyone has sprayed there mirrors and side strips i'd love to see some pics

HRV-80Y
10-11-2004, 05:03 PM
easiet alternative is to buy a can of VINYL DYE colour u want...wat it does is sinks itself (colour) into the plastic itself...depending on coat...depends how deep it will sink into the plastic saving u from ugly scratch marks if u jus sprayed on top...

michael_antoi
10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
so the local repco or wateva can give me vinyl dye in the exact color i want?

bennjamin
11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I do not think this topic belongs here....

mytoycivic
11-11-2004, 08:24 AM
hmm you might want to go to a place to get the color matched...if your in sydney auto west paint supplies in penrith will be able to help