PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Gen 2 CRX

Kenshin3180
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, maybe someone in the panel beating / spray painting industry.

I have an 89 Honda CRX which I am restoring currently and thought the best way to have it painted was to completely strip the car myself to a rolling shell, have 2 panels (front guards) straightened, have it soda blasted and primed, than take it to a spray painter to have it painted and baked. The car has no rust.

Now for prepping the car (straightening, soda blasting and primed) I have been quoted $1400 - $2000. Which I thought reasonable.

But when I called around for quotes for spray painting the car, most places wanted $7000 +

That’s about $9000 for the entire car and I still have to put the entire thing back together afterwards.

I did want the entire car sprayed including engine bay, inside, chassis and panels, but I thought it would be a lot cheaper being that the car was stripped, blasted to metal, primed and masked. It is only a small car and even has a glass roof that doesn’t need painting.

I am no expert and know very little about painting the car but I thought that if I had all of the work done up to where the car is primed it would be much cheaper to have it sprayed? I have seen top quality paint jobs on cars that has cost other people $7000 - $8000 for the entire car (much larger cars too), but that is without any preparation (Drive in - Drive out).

Am I going the right way about restoring my car? Can anyone give me advise on alternate painting methods that would have quality results? or maybe a spray painter that would not quote so high yet still have great results? (I want to restore the car to original quality)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Limo
07-05-2008, 01:38 AM
get other quotes dude. my friend can get cars sprayed for ~1.5-2k thats only the exterior(no engine bay or door wells etc) but to do the interior i'd say add another 1.5-2k.

otherwise invest in a spray gun and do it yourself, a few mates have done it, it does take some time and patience.. i'd say start with the interior, as most will be covered with plastic/carpet :)

A.C.S DRAG
07-05-2008, 08:31 AM
head over too www.crxaustralia.com for your crx needs.......

milkman
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
You get what you pay for most of the time.

timster1200
07-05-2008, 10:08 PM
You get what you pay for most of the time.

Very true, my old man recently restored a first gen civic, paint job set us back 6k and that was a good price. If you want a good job expect to pay that sorta cash.

Spite84
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
head over too www.crxaustralia.com (http://www.crxaustralia.com) for your crx needs.......

Is crxaustralia working? I've been there the last few days and no posts show up.

Snoop_gee
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Is crxaustralia working? I've been there the last few days and no posts show up.
of course its working... :cool::thumbsup: