PDA

View Full Version : BB6 prelude Headlight mounting

chris86
07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone, just had a look at a 2000 model Prelude Vti-R and I noticed that when you push on the headlights from the front gently they weren't stable, they would shift inwards and they would then spring back out to the front when I stopped pushing on them.

Is this normal?

I also noticed that the car blows out a fair bit of black smoke for a good one and a half seconds when driving the car hard at 6000rpm. What should I think of this?

nwa111
07-05-2008, 08:58 PM
the bracket or clip thing on top of the head light iis broken i no causse both mine are broken

chris86
07-05-2008, 09:20 PM
How do these things get broken? My guess is a front end accident?

nwa111
07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
if u push it in to hard or the guys was fiddling around with it . mine was broken cause my mate took da head light off trying to put in the hids but da hids didnt fit so wen he was putting it back he pushed it to hard and it snapped .hope dat helps

chris86
07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
That helps put things into perspective thanks for that.

Do you know much about the smoke when giving it a boot in vtec?

nwa111
07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
nah im not to sure could be burning alot of oil i heard wens its white smoke dats wen its bad but im not 100%

est1989
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
the smoke is normal.

Rollsta
08-05-2008, 08:31 PM
it's to show everyone you've hit VTEC :wave:

migoreng
20-05-2008, 05:34 PM
my left headlight looks fogged, just the top half of the light. the right one is crystal clear still.
is it possible to take the headlight apart to clean inside?
to take the headlight out do you need to remove the bumper or anything?

anyone know if it's possible to get that crystal clear look again?
i heard sanding with different types of grit sandpaper or using brasso??

also the bottom mount of my light is cracked. the light wobbles...and it sorta leans up slightly.
i was able to do a temp fix by putting some hard rubber strips between the top edge of the light and the metal frame to tilt the light forward again.

gReY-oNe
22-05-2008, 10:26 AM
my left headlight looks fogged, just the top half of the light. the right one is crystal clear still.
is it possible to take the headlight apart to clean inside?
to take the headlight out do you need to remove the bumper or anything?

anyone know if it's possible to get that crystal clear look again?
i heard sanding with different types of grit sandpaper or using brasso??

also the bottom mount of my light is cracked. the light wobbles...and it sorta leans up slightly.
i was able to do a temp fix by putting some hard rubber strips between the top edge of the light and the metal frame to tilt the light forward again.

it pretty straight forward to remove the head light
but u need to move the front bar as there is a clip just under there
front bar is only two bolts the rest are clips. so its prtety easy

try gettin a new clamp and bolting it on to stabelise ur head light. depending on which bracket some are easier to fix then other
i fixed an old one of mine but ended up not useing it anyway.

about the fogging. its like yellowy yeah?
u can use was and a buffing cloth after uve opened up ur head light to clean it
try not to use sand paper.

SXC-84K
22-05-2008, 12:36 PM
hey bao how do u take the plastic bit of the headlight off? mine seems to be stuck on by some really firm glue or sumthing. i wanna transfer the plastic bit from the headlight u gave me onto my existing 1 :)

_Vtekn_
22-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone, just had a look at a 2000 model Prelude Vti-R and I noticed that when you push on the headlights from the front gently they weren't stable, they would shift inwards and they would then spring back out to the front when I stopped pushing on them.

Is this normal?

I also noticed that the car blows out a fair bit of black smoke for a good one and a half seconds when driving the car hard at 6000rpm. What should I think of this?

I too had a lose headlight, I fixed mine by drilling and placing a screw where the plastic lug meets the inner fender at the top of the headlight housing.

As for the black smoke at 6000rpm this is totally normal for a vtec engine.

6000 rpm you are within vtec range, thus causing to run richer in fuel hence the black smoke

gReY-oNe
26-05-2008, 02:26 PM
hey bao how do u take the plastic bit of the headlight off? mine seems to be stuck on by some really firm glue or sumthing. i wanna transfer the plastic bit from the headlight u gave me onto my existing 1 :)

all u have to do is melt the glue off
then u can transfer it
not too hot
it will screw up the headlight
or if ur worried try a hair dryer
i never used it b4 so dont noe if it works.
i usally just shove it in teh oven :D

SXC-84K
26-05-2008, 07:20 PM
isnt the oven 2 hot? LOL

gReY-oNe
30-05-2008, 12:20 PM
LMAO NO!!
unless u put the heat up too high
just use the lowest heat setting on ur oven

ive done it b4 for supra headlights
never opend my prelude ones
but concept shoudl be the same

Luding
31-05-2008, 10:54 PM
prelude headlights are REALLY easy to take apart. Chuck em in the oven.

Put a cloth under the headlights wen u do it. Preheat the oven to 160C. turn it off then chuck the headlights in for about 6-8mins. the headlights would be hot wen u take em out, but not hot enought o melt it. Slowly ply the clips off then pull the headlights apart, sinch!

RIHIA
03-06-2008, 07:26 AM
i fixed mine from wobbling by putting some silastic in between the headlight and the steel bar behind it its holding real well and it does give it a tiny bit of movement if its needed.

dwn_boi
03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
prelude headlights are REALLY easy to take apart. Chuck em in the oven.

Put a cloth under the headlights wen u do it. Preheat the oven to 160C. turn it off then chuck the headlights in for about 6-8mins. the headlights would be hot wen u take em out, but not hot enought o melt it. Slowly ply the clips off then pull the headlights apart, sinch!

>_<" put my lights in the oven?

yaa and my headlights are wobbly too lol i think its a factory thing lol

also with buffing the lights i use Meguiars Scratch X that brings them up pretty good!