PDA

View Full Version : Powersteering noise

E_Honda
07-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I've noticed this happen only twice in the last month, when leaving work theres a right turn where i do close to a full lock turn, and I've heard like a high pitch sound, then i straighten up and its all good.

I'm guessing its probably to do with the car being cold and now with the colder weather it doesn't help.

anyone got any ideas or have this problem?

traumatized
08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
It sound more like a powersteering pump issue it may be on the way out. do you do alot of full lock turns while the car is still stationary? f this is the case you put alot of stress on the pump which will shortern the life of the power steering pump.

You could try changing your power steering fluid even if it isn't due for a change to see if it will help a little. Just remember to replace the power steering fluid with genuine honda power steering fluid.

E_Honda
08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
It sound more like a powersteering pump issue it may be on the way out. do you do alot of full lock turns while the car is still stationary? f this is the case you put alot of stress on the pump which will shortern the life of the power steering pump.

You could try changing your power steering fluid even if it isn't due for a change to see if it will help a little. Just remember to replace the power steering fluid with genuine honda power steering fluid.

I don't normally do full lock turns when the car is stationary, like i said mainly that right turn leaving work. I might change the fluid and see how i go. Thanks.

bennjamin
08-05-2008, 10:15 PM
that noise - a belt slipping. Either power steering or alternator or AC belt.

Why ? Worn belt , or some sort of grease/lubricant causing it to slip. Get it looked at

tony1234
09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
that noise - a belt slipping. Either power steering or alternator or AC belt.

Why ? Worn belt , or some sort of grease/lubricant causing it to slip. Get it looked at
yep^^^as above.i'd say belt is worn or stretched.you can try a product called belt grip by CRC.

traumatized
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
yes that might be also another reason as stated above, but i would have thought if the belt was worn or stretched then it would happen on almost every corner you take but that is my assumption

E_Honda
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Its definitely not every corner i turn, and when it did happen the other day i tried to get the car to do it again but i couldn't. I'm pretty sure its just when the cars cold and only when its close to full lock on a right turn, small turns dont cause the sound. It doesn't happen everyday either.

So could it still be a belt you guys reckon? or just replace the powersteering fluid like traumatized mentioned before?

traumatized
09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
no harm replacing th power steering fluid though, i doesn't cost much if you do it yourself, there is a good how to guide here that guides you through it. max it will cost you is $20

the diy guide isn't for the euro however it is the same concept you need to apply when doing the euro

here is the link: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15335&highlight=power+steering

just remember you need to use genuine honda power steering fluid.

tony1234
09-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Its definitely not every corner i turn, and when it did happen the other day i tried to get the car to do it again but i couldn't. I'm pretty sure its just when the cars cold and only when its close to full lock on a right turn, small turns dont cause the sound. It doesn't happen everyday either.

So could it still be a belt you guys reckon? or just replace the powersteering fluid like traumatized mentioned before?
Change belt 1st.Changing PS fluid won't fix the problem you're having.When you change belt make sure you check the tensioner.BTW how old is your Euro?

DR HONDA
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
What year modelled euro?

SPQR
10-05-2008, 07:22 AM
My 2004 Euro Std 5AT had a squeaking noise when turning the steering wheel quickly whilst manoeuvring slowly. It turned out to be a split power steering high pressure hose. It eventually developed into a noticeable leak of fluid. Honda replaced the hose late last year under warranty and the noise disappeared.

10KRPM
10-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Could be a common problem among euros....mines started making a noise when turning to the left while stationary.

Its an 06 Luxury euro.....methinks it may be time to change cars.

E_Honda
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Mines an 05 model. If you guys think its worth getting it checked asap i'll do it, otherwise i'll hold off until my 90k service which is about 6000kms away. Its not causing any problems, its just a noise i dont wanna be hearing.

tony1234
12-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Mines an 05 model. If you guys think its worth getting it checked asap i'll do it, otherwise i'll hold off until my 90k service which is about 6000kms away. Its not causing any problems, its just a noise i dont wanna be hearing.
Spray some silicone on the inside of the belt while the engine is running.i think you've just got a dry belt.

DR HONDA
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Could be a common problem among euros....mines started making a noise when turning to the left while stationary.

Its an 06 Luxury euro.....methinks it may be time to change cars.
The 05/06 suffer from rack squeal when stationary. The centre seal squeals on the rack shaft. Under warranty then thats a good time to have it replaced.

E_Honda
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Spray some silicone on the inside of the belt while the engine is running.i think you've just got a dry belt.

I'll give it a go, since its a cheap DIY option that might fix it thanks.

EuroAccord13
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM

I find dry lube more effective...

LXRY
21-05-2008, 09:47 PM
The 05/06 suffer from rack squeal when stationary. The centre seal squeals on the rack shaft. Under warranty then thats a good time to have it replaced.

My dealership dismissed this noise as "plastic or something rubbing somewhere" and not to worry cause it's nothing........thanks DR HONDA for clearing this up for me.

I will take this up with my dealership ASAP

Jaso
21-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I was sitting at the lights stationary the other day and a small deflection left or right of the steering wheel cause a slight rise in engine rpm...whats this? Is it anything to worry about?

power_of_dreams
22-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Just noticed it with my car. Only squeaks on the first corner after driving off though.

traumatized
23-05-2008, 07:18 AM
I was sitting at the lights stationary the other day and a small deflection left or right of the steering wheel cause a slight rise in engine rpm...whats this? Is it anything to worry about?

it should be ok, upon turning your steering wheel the powersteering pump puts extra load on your engine so to compensate your revs go up to cater for the extra load put on your engine

rambohung
17-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Recently I have a "creak, creak, creak" sound in the front, not sure is it the steering/CV/Suspension. It happen now everytime when I stop on the street where I live, then as I put into reverse backing into my drive way and turn wheel at the same time, the "creak" sound happen when the car start make the reverse move. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

LXRY
18-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Just noticed it with my car. Only squeaks on the first corner after driving off though.
shouldn't squeek at all, no noise.....

it should be ok, upon turning your steering wheel the powersteering pump puts extra load on your engine so to compensate your revs go up to cater for the extra load put on your engine

Very true nothing to worry about

power_of_dreams
18-08-2008, 06:29 PM
mmm, its only the first turn when I start up in the morning. I need full lock to get off the nature strip, could be happening later in the day but I hardly ever use full lock otherwise. Might take it to a carpark to see if I can hear it out.

johnnyofhk
19-08-2008, 12:11 AM
i got the same problem before, honda replace the whole steering rack for me, they said the fluid was leaking

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94241

rambohung
19-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Recently I have a "creak, creak, creak" sound in the front, not sure is it the steering/CV/Suspension. It happen now everytime when I stop on the street where I live, then as I put into reverse backing into my drive way and turn wheel at the same time, the "creak" sound happen when the car start make the reverse move. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

i got the same problem before, honda replace the whole steering rack for me, they said the fluid was leaking

Did u have the creaking sound as your car start moving when u have the full lock? Did Honda replaces under Warranty?

johnnyofhk
19-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Did u have the creaking sound as your car start moving when u have the full lock? Did Honda replaces under Warranty?

no matter my car is moving or not, noise appear as long as i turn the steering wheel(no matter at any position), honda replace it under warranty after i pick it up brand new car for 2 weeks :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

rambohung
19-08-2008, 11:10 PM
My click creak sound only happens when near full lock while the start of reversing. Will have to get them to check it out in my next service....

nozman
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my 2006 Euro has, for some time been making a squeeking noise when reversing to the left and wheels close to full lock.

Dealer has looked at it today and advised that they have lubricated the steering column seal and that has apparently curred the problem.

Given that the warranty is about to expire, I get the feeling that I am being given the brush off.

Anyone had a similar problem, and is so, what was the cause and fix. I want to be able to hit the dealer up ASAP to get it fixed.

SPQR
12-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I had a similar problem in my 2004 model. It turned out to be a leak in the high pressure power steering hose. The dealer replaced the hose under warranty. Have you noticed any fluid leaks stains your garage floor? (Assuming you have a garage.)

nozman
13-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply SPQR.

No leaks or puddles. Just squeeks....

Picked the car up from the dealer yesterday afternoon and they said that it was fixed. Half an hour later, I pull into a car parking space and it's back.....

Am going take the car back again. I seem to think that the dealers work the same was as insurance companies, they keep palming you off until they see that you wont go away.