PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between civic type-r & vti-r?

sui
28-10-2003, 08:14 PM
i own a 97 civic when i was getting it registered the guy told me that there is only 2 civic type-rs in AUS can yous help me spot the difference?? :?:

cheers sui

wynode
28-10-2003, 08:20 PM
If people have moded their EK (i'm assuming we are talking about the EK) then from the exterior it can be hard to spot.

But basically things like wheels, factory kit (inlcluding rear wing) and a few others will tell the difference. Ek9 I think it is on here has a CTR (he posted pics awhile back.

Performance wise its a totally different setup ;)

sui
28-10-2003, 08:25 PM
what do u mean by totaly different setup dont they still have b16a/2??? can u list the MAIN differences thanks mate...

skoota
28-10-2003, 08:27 PM
I've seen a Civic Type R - early EK one inbloody Springvale in Victoria - of all places.... so I woulda thought there's more than 2 of em in Aust. :?

wynode
28-10-2003, 08:31 PM
There are 2 types

1. Civic Type R and
2. Civic Type Rice!

Its hard to tell the difference from the exterior if the ricer is talented ;)

sui
28-10-2003, 08:32 PM
There are 2 types

1. Civic Type R and
2. Civic Type Rice!

Its hard to tell the difference from the exterior if the ricer is talented ;)

lol , how about performance wise? vtiR vs Civic Type R , i always had the impression that VtiR is the the Type R ....

EG5
28-10-2003, 08:34 PM
what do u mean by totaly different setup dont they still have b16a/2??? can u list the MAIN differences thanks mate...

Vtir EK4 Oz spec : b16a2 powered
jdm EK9 : b16b powered
they are completely different engine

wynode
28-10-2003, 08:35 PM
NO NO its like comparing the integra Vti-r to the CTR

CTR has higher compression pistons, more aggressive cam profile, bigger swaybars, recaros.....the list goes on.....

sui
28-10-2003, 08:46 PM
whats the power diff? btw civic vtiR and EK9 CTR ??

XXpl0Sive
28-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Check the tachometre, the CTR should rev higher :D
That's how I tell Integra models apart!

A'PEXi
28-10-2003, 09:33 PM
lol there are heaps of differences between ek9's and other civics, some visual ones are obviously wheels, kit, interior (gauges, dash, carpet, seats) etc etc.... and engine obviously the b16b .... more power, high compression ratio.

fueltank
28-10-2003, 10:02 PM
isn't CTR 5 lug in the EK line up?

The rest are 4 lug if I'm right.

sesshoumaru
28-10-2003, 10:14 PM
real obvious differences include

-5 stud wheels (although can be replicated on an ek4...)
-big fat recaros (although, can also be replicated :P)

then u could look inside, at the dash, trim, etc...

BPA
28-10-2003, 10:24 PM
http://www.quantum.net.au/ablew/Civic.htm

outlines a few differences between the two...not sure how accurate the specs are

AP1 F20c
29-10-2003, 08:31 AM
When you see a Type R on any Honda, it's straightaway a R ... That's the easiest way to tell. :roll:

one more chance
29-10-2003, 10:26 AM
easiest way, is check the VIN number...it will have EK9 written somewhere.
But the cosmetic differences are the 5 stud wheels, headlights, CF dashboard, recaros...they are the more obvious changes...

Trust-Me
29-10-2003, 11:05 AM
To the guy that started the post, what is your question exactly? do u want to know the differences b/w the civic type r or vtir and a ctr??

coz if ur talking about the CTR, yes there is 2 version of th CTR, only different is the year that it came out 96-98 and 99-00, their front bar....its the front bumper that you really can tell them apart...

cheers

Civic Type R
29-10-2003, 11:30 AM
hehe

There are two versions of the JDM civic Type R but not as youstated.
Civic Type R and Civic Type Rx
The Rx has a few more creature comforts and alum foot pedals etc but the rest of the car is exactly the same.
Now, for the easy to sopt differences between the VTiR and JDM delivered Type R. (assuming we are talking about the EK shape here)

looking at the car these are the differences.
Type R has a duller/creamier paint job - called Championship white. Paint colours also include, phoenix yellow, milano red, black and silver.

Type R has white Enkei 7spoke rims, with 5x 114.3 PCD. whereas the VTir has silver 4x100pcd alloys.

Type R has cleaner bodykit with front + rear lips and rear roof spoiler.

Type R has no sunroof.
Type R has white colourcoded side bumper beams.
Type R has red badging and noticeable decals
Type R has larger exhaust tip.

Interior:
well the most noticeable difference is the red recaros.
add to that, Type R steering wheel, and red everything else, carbon dash treatment and the titanium shifter.
I know there are lots more but thats answering your question :)

eknine
29-10-2003, 12:35 PM
other than the difference in engine equipped mentioned by "EG5"
and the VIN entioned by "one more chance", the facelift mentioned by "Trust-me" and the "additional info by Civic type r"

read these threads

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=732&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start =15

in short see this if you are after visuals (click the 3 links below)

if you want more , drop me ur email, maybe after exams when i have more time, i send you all the 3 series of CTR catalog(pre + post facelift and the Rx), + the ek4 catalog,(i will scan my hard copies for you.)

otherwse if you are in melb, why not hook urself up with one of the other forum member here by the nick name "ek9", he has the real CTR, you can check it out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eknine
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NsX wrote:
EK4 and EK9...
wats the differences in them 2?

engine is b16a and b16b respective both 1.6L

if you are in melb then you will get more luck searching for an ek9. otherwise be contented to go for the civic vti-r(ek4)

this can go on forever with the difference....maybe you should do a search on WWW -some research....readings.

unless someone here indulge you with every single info.

in short....read this

and see this

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5111/ or click on the red arrow for the rest
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5111/gallery2.html

some of the pix can be click for enlarge.

its has one of the most comprehensive pre and post facelift of the civic type r(ek9)

eknine
29-10-2003, 12:42 PM
btw, maybe the mods wold like to sticky this few links,
since almost every other 2 weeks we get a query like that and member just don't seemed to like search feature very much

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5111/

wynode
29-10-2003, 01:59 PM
I'll put a link to this thread, and in particular your link eknine. Thanks

eknine
29-10-2003, 04:21 PM
:thumbsup: thx Win, makes it easy, coz there is such constant query on the same old topic:)

btw the quantum is not my website it belong to some bloke in Melb uni :)

he has heaps of links of different cars, check it out here:
http://www.quantum.net.au/ablew/

EK9
30-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey ppls :D

Well, everyone here has pretty much already said it all... But probably the few easiest ways to spot a real CTR are the 5 studs, body kit and no rear wiper!!! (which can get annoying when your car is dirty as). In Melb, i know of only 5 CTR's, 3 white, 1 yellow and 1 black. This includes mine and a recent writeoff!

Like 'eknine' said, i'm in melb... so if you wanna check out my car, just pm me, no probs. Anyway, i'll probably go on the next melb cruise, and also might be doin a photoshoot with Vic soon too, so we'll upload the pics then.

It's not that easy finding really good sites on the EK9, the best ones are probably listed here already.

So are there any other CTR owners on this forum?

Civic Type R
30-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Damn a written off CTR !!?!
I bet every man and his dog is hanging around this one like a pack of vultures.

Well im converting my EK4 to an EK9 but thats as close i'll get to answering your question 8)

sui
30-10-2003, 09:14 PM
here is a pic of my ek4

upgrades are coming soon

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=91

have yous got a pic of ur beast??

EK9
30-10-2003, 10:37 PM
sweet looking civic sui... so clean and shiny!

here's mine... yup, i need a digital camera

http://users.123.net.au/vinh/ctr.jpg

sui
30-10-2003, 11:43 PM
sweet looking civic sui... so clean and shiny!

here's mine... yup, i need a digital camera

thanks ek9 ur civic looks awesome !! bigger brother :)

Civic Type R
31-10-2003, 11:46 AM
here is a pic of my ek4Nice Car !!! :)
Hey, what type of projector headlights are those ? Im investigating whether they're a good buy or not worth it. What are your comments on them over the stock ones ?

vti-2
31-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Civic Type R:
Hey, what type of projector headlights are those ? Im investigating whether they're a good buy or not worth it. What are your comments on them over the stock ones ?

If you are building a CTR or are trying to get as close a match as possible i suggest you ditch the idea of projector lights and go for CTR ones. Or, simply pull your current ones apart and spray the inside a titanium colour so you get the same look. It will look better than projectors anyway, especially if you want the CTR look.

Civic Type R
31-10-2003, 12:53 PM
well theres a thought ...
hehe this would be my first fake EK9 mod LOL

Can you tell me anymore about this spray? Do u spray the clear acrylic lense or the housing on the inside ?

fried
31-10-2003, 01:04 PM
When you see a Type R on any Honda, it's straightaway a R ... That's the easiest way to tell. :roll:

what if i see a TYPE R on a lancer? is it an R too?

:wink:

vti-2
31-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Can you tell me anymore about this spray? Do u spray the clear acrylic lense or the housing on the inside ?

A few guys on this forum have done this mod. If you PM either VTi-RT or RAYTDR, both will be able to explain how to do it...

Or if they see this post, they can reply here... 8)

genesis
31-10-2003, 02:32 PM
You spray the housing..

pics here http://redlineau.com/gallery/albuo42

Civic Type R
31-10-2003, 03:07 PM
so its titanium spray is it.
who makes it ?

wynode
31-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Please discuss the 'spraying' privately and try not to deviate from the topic!

Civic Type R
31-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Wyn, this is still a part of the topic.
I cant see why you disagree with where this thread is going.

I am just after more information regarding this spray. Relax with the moderating 8)

eknine
01-11-2003, 09:46 AM
adam, why spray it, the genuine ek9 looks only very slight difference. in fact it take someone who know what they are looking at to tell the difference...i think if i can remember it it took 3 out 5 of my mates to spot the differece:)

why don't you just remove the headlight protector....that piece that is shielding the light bulb..the ek9 does not have it:)

edit, only the 99up headlights looks obvious smoked in color.

tell you what, if you need it just for the show and the items are not like heaps, i am willing to fly down to perth and loan you those, and at the same time check out the event...only if time permits it. - only problem, is that i have not been to perth and i don't know any there to put me up:(

what do you need?

the headlights
the ek9 brochures
the ek9 jap ownership certificate
the ek9 jap manual + service manual
the red floormat (new or used- does not makes a diff coz mine used is rather mint)

the above are just some of stuff that you know that i have and which reckon i can manged to carry.

Civic Type R
01-11-2003, 01:48 PM
hehe well that would be awsome but are you sure ?

You can hook up with us at our residense if you are that keen. Also the event - Motorvation - its on the 17 -18th Jan next year.
I am staying over at the event that sat night with a dozen others. Each entrant gets 2 tickets for stayovers if needed :D

I currently have the EK9 floormats in and all im missing are the recaros, red door skins and carpet. Im already in negotions with someone regarding the carpet and possibly the recaros :P

Getting back to the headlights.
Im personally a fan of the smoked appearance over the shiny silver ones of the VTiR. Im just fussy when it comes to things like that.

Keep in touch if you are coming to Perth :)

skoota
01-11-2003, 06:39 PM
How much u getting the Recaros for????? I want some for mine.

Civic Type R
01-11-2003, 07:38 PM
How much u getting the Recaros for????? I want some for mine.
its not a simple purchase, but an arrangement. So prices are irrelevent in this case.

skoota
01-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh ok - gotchya

eknine
03-11-2003, 08:16 AM
smoked appearance does not occur after the ek9 facelift, nonetheless, i can see that you are after that. i will keep it as original as possible, and the easier i mentioned is to take out thebulb protector

okay, when the event get closer, LMK. i see what i can bring down, the recaros are d.out of the equation, too heavy. as for the rear seats, maybe and depending what you are missing out.

Civic Type R
03-11-2003, 11:29 AM
cool :)
hey hit me up on my email addy. Im pretty sure it would be a better idea to continue the arrangement in private :)

apeterson@liswa.wa.gov.au.

AP1 F20c
03-11-2003, 06:51 PM
what if i see a TYPE R on a lancer? is it an R too?

I'm not good with Hondas, or in fact anything for the matter of fact. R or no R, to me it doesn't make a difference. So if someone decides to slap an R on a non-factory R, good for them and their cause. So what does the R mean? That's it's invincible or it scares people? Blah ... FUBAR. :arrow:

evil_mike
22-12-2003, 07:49 PM
I've seen a Civic Type R - early EK one inbloody Springvale in Victoria - of all places.... so I woulda thought there's more than 2 of em in Aust. :?

I think I've seen this guy too when I drove passed Springvale. The white one. I believe it's a fake. Not tooo sure, maybe I assume all Civic Type-R are fakes. However it looks stinkin 'HOT!

nallway2
22-12-2003, 11:02 PM
my friend lives in springie.... n his got a type r... a white one too... and im pretty sure its a type r... cuz i been in it b4... n his car sexier then my ek4 :P

civicboy
22-12-2003, 11:17 PM
ctr is faster than civic vti-r! =D

Civic Type R
22-12-2003, 11:28 PM
well u have to take a quick pic of it for us to see :)

lane-o
06-01-2004, 07:09 PM
i have yet to see one....don't know anyone with one! How hard are they to come by? What are they worth?

vti-2
07-01-2004, 02:35 PM
CTR's are very hard to come by. Most are rebuilds (which means they've been smashed and repaired) or they've been built from the ground up using VTi-R chassis's and in some cases CXi shells. :shock:

I wouldn't buy a CTR in Australia unless it was a private import from Japan. This costs too much so the odds you will find a clean, untouched CTR in Australia are pretty bad.

LatinoHatchCrap
08-01-2004, 06:58 PM
so much fuss about this *HYPE*-R :D !!
Just buy a B18c2/7 swap and you'll smoke all TYPE-R's

ckkl
09-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Most are rebuilds (which means they've been smashed and repaired) or they've been built from the ground up using VTi-R chassis's and in some cases CXi shells. :shock:

Actually you'll find rebuilds still use the original (and stiffer) EK9 chassis. Rebuilds use the salvage title from a written-off car and transfer the name to the imported car.

The trouble is getting an imported car out of the docks. Usually would require some rally permit or a visibly damaged car and chummyness with the customs folk.

gatecrasher
02-03-2004, 07:26 AM
I have a CTR but when i bought it had already been in an accident. My headlights look like local ones (not sure) and the bonnet is also local. Also I was wondering does the VIN number have to have EK9 in it?

eknine
02-03-2004, 07:28 AM
it shld have ek9 in it:)

Civic Type R
02-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I have a CTR but when i bought it had already been in an accident. My headlights look like local ones (not sure) and the bonnet is also local. Also I was wondering does the VIN number have to have EK9 in it?

take some pics for us to verify.

Civic Type R
02-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Roy i have a JDM EK9 VIN tag :P

wynode
02-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Lets keep this STRICTLY related to the differences between the vti-r and Type R.

replaced
14-04-2004, 01:10 AM

I think I've seen this guy too when I drove passed Springvale. The white one. I believe it's a fake. Not tooo sure, maybe I assume all Civic Type-R are fakes. However it looks stinkin 'HOT!

It's probably my friends ctr, he recently just had it probably around a year, he bought it for around $23,000 from one of his mates. It is a legit ctr no doubt about that, cept its registered as a civic coupe even though its a hatch LOL.. :twisted:

Civic Type R
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
and see this

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5111/ or click on the red arrow for the rest
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5111/gallery2.html

some of the pix can be click for enlarge.

its has one of the most comprehensive pre and post facelift of the civic type r(ek9)
ummm ive noticed those infamous links are now offline .. bummer :(

eknine
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
the owner has left for something better ...maybe...a CSL<laffz>
we stop chatting for a very long time now....i'll see if i can locate his email addy.

anyway, i'm surprised you still visit the site.

Adam, do up a better one on ur site...i'm sure you have more hits ;)

Civic Type R
07-07-2004, 01:23 PM
hehe funny you say that !
I am about to put up online my version of the differences. I was just checking some images from that site.

I have already posted the Integra Type R vs JDM R on my site - check that out. I am completing the EK4 vs EK9 now
yay :D

feel free to comment. I need feedback :)

eknine
07-07-2004, 01:30 PM
impressive...keep it up:)

Civic Type R
07-07-2004, 01:41 PM
The Civic VTiR vs Type R page will have lots more pics and info :)

civic_mods
30-08-2004, 02:42 PM
The Ek9 got 185ps which he Ek4 only have 170ps
EK9 will have 5 stud pattern wheels which EK4 doesn't~
and da body chassis of the EK9 is abt 40-50% firmer then the EK4(as i read from da article long tim ago,not sure how many %)
most of the EK9 are in white or yellow,and more important,they just available in 2 door hatch~

eknine
30-08-2004, 02:49 PM
The Ek9 got 185ps which he Ek4 only have 170ps
EK9 will have 5 stud pattern wheels which EK4 doesn't~
and da body chassis of the EK9 is abt 40-50% firmer then the EK4(as i read from da article long tim ago,not sure how many %)
most of the EK9 are in white or yellow,and more important,they just available in 2 door hatch~

ek9 doesn't only come in white nor yellow.

it comes in CWhite, PYellow, NHBlack and MSilver ;)

SIKCVC
30-08-2004, 03:10 PM
and only the JDM EK4 has 170PS the ausy EK4 has 160hp.

BlitZ
03-11-2004, 01:27 PM
CTR's are very hard to come by. Most are rebuilds (which means they've been smashed and repaired) or they've been built from the ground up using VTi-R chassis's and in some cases CXi shells. :shock:
Whats the difference in chasis?

isnt the CXI and CTR based on the same chasis...

BTW.
CTR and b16a engine arent completely different..
They do come from the same family and all parts are interchangable.
the ctr b16b is built more refined with better bits and pieces making it faster.

Handling characteristics are helped with firmer springs and larger sway bars and front stut bar.

CTR has slightly larger brakes and the to die for 5 studs..

CTR has a smaller steering wheel and recaros..

Serious the only major factors u shoudl acount for is handling and engine work (include youself an lsd)..

The rest is just rice..
why would u want to make yourself look like a type r... with the money jsut get youself an after market bar whihc will make it more unique..

just my 2 cents worth..

imashy14u
03-11-2004, 02:52 PM
VTi-R = Fast

CTR = Faster :D

Yeah, the CTR engine is much more refined and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the CTR uses different fuel mapping than the VTi-R :confused:

pgclee
04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
EK4 SIR - 160hp
EK4 SIR II - 170hp
EK9 CTR - 185hp

Wats the Main Differences?
Check out the rear windscreen - Total Black, and for back passenger as well...
Firewall - Much thiner i think or just a layer
CTR - Makes more noise than Vti-R when Vtec Engage (Std)
Check the Clippers, Bigger than EK4
Behind the rear bumper, there is another Re-inforcement bar or smth like that located inside...
Chasis - there is EK900xxxx something like that...
if you want more details, Weight the car, should be around 1050kg...hahaha...

If all of this = on that car...means that you're looking at a real thing...
and check those Jap words inside the car...hahaha...the only words that you can understand, err..may be..ehhh ..ABS???.hahahahaha....

Civic Type R
04-11-2004, 01:39 AM
ok the good ole returning thread.

please refer to my webpage - concerning this topic.

http://www.dohc-vtec.com.au/pages/linked/civic-vtir-vs-typer.htm

LowEk
24-11-2004, 08:40 PM
how would you about getting a B16B front cut EK9 and how much would u pay for one a mate of mine got a eg sir front cut he said he could get one for $5000 does that sound right???

cheers
LowEk

BlueSiR
24-11-2004, 08:49 PM
the withe type R? its a cxi shell,but rebuild. with all da EK9 parts, i mean all, everything! lolz and da driver got his lience suspended.

TypeRice
29-07-2006, 07:31 AM
hey does ek9 have the same disc breaks as ek4?

peace^^