PDA

View Full Version : can anyone give me a rough cost of what i'm looking at??

garthkates
08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
hey guys actually own a skyline atm(bit of a turbo junky) but due to petrol prices and giving in to a long interest of mine i wanna get my hands onto a NA civic hatch preferably ek model

i wanna know what kinda prices plus the gains i would be looking at to get

a b18c conversion
a k20a conversion
and an h22a conversion,

and if anyone has any examples plz feel free too chuck in any input as i am new to this NA jargan

thanx in advance
Garth

dc2dc2dc2
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
which civic?
ef?
eg?
ek?
Vi?
other?

garthkates
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
i would be probably getting an EK gli or something like that and cheap and just the best bang for your buck what do you guys reckin

TheSaint
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
depends what you want out of it, different motors have higher and lower gains but they also have different feels

im not saying that turbo motors are simple, it is easier to get straight power out of a turbo with bolt on mods, but it is a lot harder and more complicated to mod a NA motor and when it gets this detailed you will actually see different results from different motors AND the types of modifications you do, you must choose which combination and feel that you are going to like, the best way to do it is to spend time reading on here and youtube different combinations of cars, motors and mods and see which one appeals to you the most

at the moment i am looking at getting a cheap EK civic for a b16a conversion, i want to pull the whole car apart and rebuild it as a EK9 replica, alot of people say to me .. why dont you get a B18c?? but i have already had a DC2 integra so i want something different, i dont want huge power but i want a nice little package to play with, so b16a is what i want to check out

'i dont want huge power' - you prob smirk at that considering were only talking NA 1.6 vs NA 1.8 but it will be difficult for you to guage power coming from the 6cyl turbo world, for us honda enthusiasts we feel the difference from a 100kw to a 120kw to a 140kw engine, with the nissans etc your talking 450bhp++ for a neat modified package so you will have to fine tune your power expectation and look at different feels/packages

my 2c from my experience

garthkates
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
that makes sense, helps alot appreciate it mate

dc2dc2dc2
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
bang for buck i guess keep it stock dseries and turbo it.

definitely bang for buck there.
B16A is eh
K20 is if u got plenty of cash laying around
H22A is eh.
probably B18C is best option on budget and slightly more exciting than a b16

fatboyz39
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
bang for buck i guess keep it stock dseries and turbo it.

Ask all the d series turbo guys on the forum. Bang for buck :zip:

TheSaint
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
the B16a2 and the B18c2 are the most fun motors to work on with the 'vtec punch' vtec crossover

id go for the B18c for the best 'honda' experience, B18c2 is from the VTI-R DC2 integra and isnt bad, but if u have a few more dollars in your wallet than a B18c7 is the way to go, all round better (more fun) motor thats been done up in the honda factory already, the ITR (type-r) gearbox and ITR b18 is one of the most fun and best engines for a light car conversion

the best car i have ever been in was a B18c7 Crx Del Sol - that was so much fun, personally liked it better than the 450bhp silvia's etc that my other mates have

Jarkz
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Whats your budget on conversions/modifications after you've purchased the EK? (sedan or hatch btw)

depending on budget I will give some advice.

K20 will always be the number 1 swap, but the H22a & B18c are great

conversion... and a little easier on the pocket unless you plan to do some DIY.

What location are you in? speak to some of the traders in your area.

OMG.JAI xD
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
sell the skyline.
get an eg
s2k engine
dc5 gearbox.
inlinepro s2k conversion kit.
and be the first in aus. or at least ozhonda. =]

have fun.

garthkates
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
definetly a hatch and i am really into the shape of the EK, can someone tell me what's wrong with the h22?? this has a been a trend in ppl saying the k20 is heaps better.

s2k engine would be ****ing awesome but i'm looking at a budget of around 8g 's on top of the car is this realistic or am i looking a lil too cheap

hisoka
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
does this mean spending 8 grand +plus the car or including the car ??

T-onedc2
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
does this mean spending 8 grand +plus the car or including the car ??
8 grand + car

hmmm prob not enough for K20 conversion, I've heard closer to 15

IZY-10
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
with 8k look at b18c7. With left over money you can get a half decent exhaust

TheSaint
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
with 8k look at b18c7. With left over money you can get a half decent exhaust

agreed, on that budget you wll be looking at B18c7 with a mugen twin loop catback or [insert other good exhaust here] and a nice fujita or injen CAI system, the B18c7 has good headers and the cams etc are all setup pretty nice to begin with so that will help you with the budget

down the lines though you will have to look at:
headers + cat
brakes
braces + sway bars
bucket seats
ECU + tune (vafc2, Pfc, hondata etc)
probably more that i cant think of right now lol

hisoka
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM
yer with 8 grand to play with just get a b18c (this is the type R teggy engine), installed drive in drive out ure looking at anywere between 6 to 7 n half i think thats the going rate, and as old mate said you can get decent exhaust~

if you are good around the workshop you have other options , like d series turbo but yer thats up to you if you wanna turbo a d. i current have a d series however i have talked to some tuners around here and they advise me to just do a swap (pretty well respected guys) so yer up 2 u mate, i advise a swap to b18c

were r u located mate~

rawr
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
^ B18c7 is the AUDM type R motor

B18c2 is the AUDM VTI-R motor

B18c5 is the JDM type R motor

B18c6 > B18c7 > b18c2

go for the b18c7. Easy-ish to source, great bang for buck and in an EK you won't be disappointed. Well on the straight compared to a modified skyline you will.

TheSaint
09-05-2008, 12:11 AM

B18c2 is the AUDM VTI-R motor

B18c6 > B18c7 > b18c2

go for the b18c7. Easy-ish to source, great bang for buck and in an EK you won't be disappointed. Well on the straight compared to a modified skyline you will.

completely different experience tho, id rather be in a B18c7 ek than a skyline regardless of straight or corners =D

rawr
09-05-2008, 12:20 AM
I did say a straight didn't =P

Skylines are boatsssss haha

TheSaint
09-05-2008, 01:49 AM
I did say a straight didn't =P

Skylines are boatsssss haha

commodore = tugboat =(

something about big cars - theres like a sever in the connection in between you and the feel of the car

hondas just have that feel, complete control and precision =)

VT1-R
09-05-2008, 02:36 AM
get b16a and turbo it... Lol..$8k is possible.. though nid a lil more $$ for extras n unexpected shit when u turbo you car..

If not jus swap b18cR JDM Spec.. 200hp into an EK.. with basic bolt ons(I/H/E), clutch&fly and ECU, will at least match a mild modded GTS-T skyline...

Onli the GTR can completely smoke a heavily modded B18CR EK on the straights.. Other than that, mild modded skyline will be shocked to see the civic tailing close behind or even in front..lol..

Also, since u come from the turbo side of cars, you probably didnt see weight of ur skyline as an important factor due to the shitloads of torque from ur turbo.. However, for Honda which is N/a.. the lighter your car is, combined with gd mods(do some research) and a high powered N/a engine(b18cR) can really give you some good fun!!!

IZY-10
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM

no its not JDM type r motor is called a B18C

garthkates
09-05-2008, 12:31 PM
yeh well my r32 gtst is only putting out 150-160 rwk so i think a 1000 kg car with a not a huge difference in power, will make me happy. so the b18c is the best bet from the looks of it.

but what about the h22? the reason i ask is i saw this engine in an ek hatch in auto salon a couple issues back and it stuck for me. surely bigger engine would be better??(feel free to correct my lack of knowledge here)

TheSaint
09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
dman crap internet... i just wrote an essay on why i think the B18cR is better than the H22 but i lost it due to a damn page refresh ARG the following is from my experience

in short... H22 doesnt have the punch or kik or response that the B18cR has, it is a sweet motor but it is still only out of a VTI-R, the type-r is tuned with better parts and wilder cams at the factory making it a sweet out of the box package

i test drove Integra VTI-R (B18 - not the type-r even) and Prelude VTI-R (H22) and the prelude had more of a lazy cruise feel to it and not a very hardcore vtec crossover, the integra on the other hand had a mutch more satisfying feel, and a nice agressive vtec crossover

i test drove a crx del sol with a B18cR motor in it that was fairly stock with I/E and it owned! better than both the other cars and a EG with a vti-r b18

both motors have good potential dont get me wrong, but out of the box the B18cR will have the most punch and is probably the best motor to do a swap into an EK for a person with a wallet like yourself and me =)

AzKik-R
09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a turbo Mitsi, and i love it, the feel of the acceleration is fantastic, however, I live in the desert, and i think i'll cook a turbo if i got one here, hence the reason i have a teggy.
I've just come back from NZ and been racing in my turbo, and MAAAN i miss the boost!!!!!
you WILL get the withdrawls.
I cant see a civic n/a keeping up with some skylines. lol I saw a guy fully mod up his civic, yes, has fantasticly quick response, but once i drop the mitsi into 3rd, and spool up, i'm overtaking him before he hits 4th.
My wagon does 13.4 down the 1/4, and it takes a lot to get a civic down to that time

kazam
09-05-2008, 07:11 PM
B18Cr - JDM Type R
B18C7 - Oz Type R
B18C5 - US Type R
B18C2 - Oz VTiR
B18C1 - US VTiR

thats it aye?

TheSaint
10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I have a turbo Mitsi, and i love it, the feel of the acceleration is fantastic, however, I live in the desert, and i think i'll cook a turbo if i got one here, hence the reason i have a teggy.
I've just come back from NZ and been racing in my turbo, and MAAAN i miss the boost!!!!!
I cant see a civic n/a keeping up with some skylines. lol I saw a guy fully mod up his civic, yes, has fantasticly quick response, but once i drop the mitsi into 3rd, and spool up, i'm overtaking him before he hits 4th.
My wagon does 13.4 down the 1/4, and it takes a lot to get a civic down to that time

honda isnt about big power, its about a package, its like a lifestyle choice lol

if u like extremely fast cars and big power stick with your turbos

if u want a small fine tuning package with amazing handeling, modability, that screams its head off than buy all means go Honda, it all coms down to your personal preference

if u want to decemate with little effort on the quarter mile stick with your turbo, if you want to put in some hard work and destroy some egos building a little NA monster get a honda =)

look up yonas's EGK24 vids on youtube man, they are sweet =)

i find hondas to be more of a circuit car rather than a quarter mile runner, but alot of crew on here have fun at the drags =)

VT1-R
10-05-2008, 12:59 AM

B18CR civic with bolt ons and tune in an stripped EG shell can do mid 13s.. Its possible bro..lol..

AzKik-R
10-05-2008, 03:25 PM
honda isnt about big power, its about a package, its like a lifestyle choice lol

if u like extremely fast cars and big power stick with your turbos

if u want a small fine tuning package with amazing handeling, modability, that screams its head off than buy all means go Honda, it all coms down to your personal preference

if u want to decemate with little effort on the quarter mile stick with your turbo, if you want to put in some hard work and destroy some egos building a little NA monster get a honda =)

look up yonas's EGK24 vids on youtube man, they are sweet =)

i find hondas to be more of a circuit car rather than a quarter mile runner, but alot of crew on here have fun at the drags =)

Agreed!!!
Honda's not really made for the 1/4 mile, but on the circuit, they do a very good job of cleaning up, and delivering consistantly fast times.

AzKik-R
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
B18CR civic with bolt ons and tune in an stripped EG shell can do mid 13s.. Its possible bro..lol..

aaah, so a 1.8l transplant, and gut out a civic, yeah, could work. but I think i got shot down in a forum for suggesting an EG with b18c, something about the EG being a rare car etc etc.
and the b18c eg that i raced, was in hamilton, maybe someone can look up the archives of one that had all the bold on parts, and it was only doing 14.4, and it was in the hot 4's magazine. raced it, smoked it, even from rolling starts.
but, like i said above, Honda's, circuit racing yes, 1/4 mile maybe not.
1/4 mile is not the only race.

kazam
10-05-2008, 03:35 PM
eg being a rare car? wtf? yeh maybe if your searching on pluto for one.

AzKik-R
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
eg being a rare car? wtf? yeh maybe if your searching on pluto for one.

**** dude, i dont know, search the forum where i got shut down for suggesting a b18c in an eg civic.

kazam
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88391

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76045

thats 2 links from a section with only 8 links, go paste em in that forum that flamed u.

post this link aswell

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/HONDA/CIVIC/private-results.aspx?State=New%20South%20Wales&N=4294965322+80+4294965250+4294931113+4294931740+4 294931640+4294933183+4294929757&Make=HONDA&distance=25&state_id=80&Model=CIVIC

VT1-R
11-05-2008, 01:22 AM
aaah, so a 1.8l transplant, and gut out a civic, yeah, could work. but I think i got shot down in a forum for suggesting an EG with b18c, something about the EG being a rare car etc etc.
and the b18c eg that i raced, was in hamilton, maybe someone can look up the archives of one that had all the bold on parts, and it was only doing 14.4, and it was in the hot 4's magazine. raced it, smoked it, even from rolling starts.
but, like i said above, Honda's, circuit racing yes, 1/4 mile maybe not.
1/4 mile is not the only race.

yup.. I noe what u mean.. B18C and B18CR has quite a difference.. b18C AUDM Vti-R integra has 170hp... Jap spec B18CR has 200hp.. so its 30hp power diff.. better response to mods and more power through vtec that bring it at least into high 13s bro.. B18CR in an EG with bolt ons tune etc can hit high 13s for sure.. And if B18C EG is a rare car, k20 EG will be god sent..

hisoka
11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
[url]http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/HONDA/CIVIC/private-results.aspx?State=New%20South%20Wales&N=4294965322+80+4294965250+4294931113+4294931740+4 294931640+4294933183+4294929757&Make=HONDA&distance=25&state_id=80&Model=CIVIC

shiet vti's are expensive in nsw lol, because they got a set of rims and sic intake yo its worth like 2 grand more lol

rayb3na_
11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
ek + b18c will cost you probably around 15k mark all up could be more depending on how much u source ur ek for.. best ek to swap would be gli or vtiR as they came with rear disc brakes.. i'd say go with the b18cR, if u wanted a b16a just buy an ek4.. if u got deep pockets ek + k20 but the minimum amount you will spend on a good k swap is the 15k mark and thats not including the car. hope that helped.

TheSaint
11-05-2008, 12:22 PM
**** dude, i dont know, search the forum where i got shut down for suggesting a b18c in an eg civic.

its not a rare car, their are alot of hondas running around with almost every combination of transplant possible $$ forbidding

in the states people do V8 civics

those ppl shouldnt have flamed you on the forums

back on topic,
the difference between the B18c(vtir) and the B18cR isnt just power, it has basically been modded already at the factory - they have already done the intake manifold, cams, stronger internals and a better gearbox/gear ratio, its not just more powerful it has alot more responsive feel, you can hit vtec in 1st and have no trouble in keeping it their all the way through the gears, after driving the B18cR and going back to the vtir i would say the vtir was sluggish, even the EG with the vtir motor was sluggish compared to the B18cR

RtN
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Just to contribute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhbGcTQKEc

LUD35
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
just my 2c. IF u have the money, go with the k20.

yes its alot of money for a conversion, but dam it puts a smile on the face everytime :)

and im smoking skylines in my k24 ek

send me a pm if you are looking at sourcing a jap motor

TheSaint
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Just to contribute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhbGcTQKEc

wow that was a great watch, thankyou =)

AzKik-R
14-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Hello People,
I come from NZ where the stated Civic is nowhere near being an endangoured species. I only said that i got shot down for suggesting the stated combination.
I think you should take the civic and drop in a type r 1.8l
just so there's no confusion. thank you

4age8u
15-05-2008, 09:36 AM
asweel men i agree with you i see mums dropping there kids of from anything like a gtr to a wrx to evos! man i miss nz:wave: