PDA

View Full Version : Honda Australia planning to trial cooking model UK Civic hatch

aaronng
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
UK Civic hatch for Oz
http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2931179.aspx

Prepared to spend $35K for a Civic? You'll have to be if you're after the funky five-door Civic hatch

Honda Australia is close to securing supply of a non-Type R hatch model to add to its top-selling Civic line-up. But the bad news is the funky UK-sourced five-door will cost around $35K by the time it arrives loaded with extra equipment over the current sedan models.

Honda Australia says the five-door hatch is now firmly on the agenda. It will be offered as an up-spec Civic, to create pricing room between it and the sedan and hybrid Civic models.

Company boss Lindsay Smalley said at the launch of the Accord Euro in Vienna this week that Honda Australia first approached the UK division for supply of the hatch model almost three years ago.

"Our first step was to bring in Civic Type R; in low volume," says Smalley. "If you look at the small car segment, we currently only compete with the Civic sedan, and the sedan component of that segment is only about 40 per cent of total sales. So we see a hatch variant as a real opportunity for us."

Preventing the company from making moves sooner is the fact sourcing the cars from the UK is more expensive compared to Honda's plants elsewhere (such as Thailand for the Accord and Civic sedan) thanks to increased logistics and shipping costs.

The exchange rate for the Australian dollar versus the British pound sterling is also prohibitive, and no Free Trade Agreement exists to allay duty, which would be added on top of an already strong UK currency. The premium for the European Civic hatch over the sedan could be as much as $5000.

"We also need to consider where an up-spec model would sit within our line-up, without cannibalising other products in the range."

According to Smalley the current (first) generation Accord Euro and the five-door Civic hatch are dimensionally similar, and would also be close on specification and therefore share market or buyer target.

However, the second-generation Accord Euro is larger and more powerful than the outgoing model.

"We now see an entry point for the five-door Civic," says Smalley. "We've spoken to dealers and our next step is to bring a five-door to Australia for market research."

Senior Vice President for Honda Europe, Ken Keir said sales of the UK-built Civic hatch would be beneficial to the company not only from a volume point of view but for the "buzz" and prestige of selling the model in a highly competitive market such as Australia.

"For Honda [UK], it [export to Australia] was a major step forward. I would liken exporting cars to Australia to where we were four years ago, when we first exported Civic three-door back to Japan. That was a big psychological goal," said Keir.

"When Australia came up for the Type R the buzz was fantastic, because we've gone to the 'other side'. It's not the volume but the statement that's important. In the UK, Australia is important; it's emotionally meaningful."

According to Keir and Smalley, "Best case" for local timing on the Civic hatch would be middle of next year; sometime after the "minor" mid-life facelift expected for the model.

The UK-built hatch also uses ISOFIX child seat anchor points which 'fail' ADR approval, furthering delay. Honda Australia says it won't apply for dispensation to have the seat fixtures pass scrutiny for sale.

aaronng
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I wonder what Honda Australia is smoking to want to bring in the 1.8L 5 door Civic hatch at $35k?

EGB18CT
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
wtf 5door hatch for 35k? so this is ment to compete against like focus, mazda 3, vw's? pfft all they need is the 5 dr sedan type r, or bring in like gli base model, your vti or si like the states and a type r version... looks like the type r wont be coming...

aaronng
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
It seems that Honda Australia has lost touch with its customer base, preferring to bring in what they think is good, rather than what the customer wants. Looks like they are going to repeat the US-sourced Accord fiasco and suffer a few years with low sales...

sendok
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
5 door ? ? ? ? WTF.. stop it please, killin me LOLz

SPEEDCORE
08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I wonder what Honda Australia is smoking

I want to know too.. $5k is a hefty amount to slap on a car in that segement.

ShAwNeX
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
For that price it better come with standard GPS/navigation system and 17" (if not 18") wheels. Otherwise it's way too expensive. A little bit more and you could buy the Type-R.

amato2
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah wft is honda thinking man... like if i wanted a 5 door hatch id buy the jazz for half the price!!!! n spend the rest on mods (turbo) i tell ya these Honda execs need to get booted out!!!

But at the same time maybe they are targeting it more for the upper class hatches like BMW 1 series... or the audi A3.. that is if it comes with standard GPS, leather n 18in.. id buy that over the shitty underpowered 120i

still think its stupid... like why wont honda bring in a new NSX and S2000... i mean audi have brought in there new super car the R8... n BMW is about to release theirs so i dun see why honda would bother with a 5 door hatch instead of reinstating to the world that a japanese company like Honda can make equally if not better cars then their german rivals!!!

Rant over!...

dyljoy
08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
We don't need 5 door civic like that wit this price, pls give us FD2R instead~

bennjamin
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
$27k or so inc on roads...that would be a winner.

aaronng
08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
$27k or so inc on roads...that would be a winner.

VTiL driveaway is about that price already.... and the article says it is about 5k more for this hatch over the sedan. I'd rather buy a Civic Sport for that price!

kenshin
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
bah... who will buy it over the Type R... its crazy pricing...

then again why would they bring in 2 different Type Rs...

even though one is sedan one is hatch... wouldnt they be competing in the same market segment...

honda management is without leadership...

they should have brought in the FD2 from the start... then they could bring in this 5 dr hatch model...

danielj
09-05-2008, 12:24 AM
for around that price..i'd get a focus xr5T

SPEEDCORE
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
even though one is sedan one is hatch... wouldnt they be competing in the same market segment...

One would think that... but my take on it is that both Rs would cater to different people.... young girls and boy racers (they are one and the same really :p ) most likely attract hatch demand, while your slightly older buyer... even possibly young family would not pass down a 4 door variant.

I honestly believe both could be succesfully sold side by side here in Australia.

quenjose
09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
From an advertising viewpoint, i think Honda Australia is trying hard to leverage and build on Honda's image as a premium automotive brand.

Looks like a marketing direction... selling "premium" automobiles, trying lure customers away from the likes of BMW, Lexus etc. Eventually... it would be sort of like packaging a camry as a lexus... thus more money for honda...

aaronng
09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
One would think that... but my take on it is that both Rs would cater to different people.... young girls and boy racers (they are one and the same really :p ) most likely attract hatch demand, while your slightly older buyer... even possibly young family would not pass down a 4 door variant.

I tend to disagree... being a slightly older buyer, I would only buy the FD2R if I had another car as a daily. Because I wouldn't want my kid riding in a baby seat in the FD2R feeling every single bump in the road.

SPEEDCORE
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Bumpyness I guess is subjective.... if the DC5R and DC2R (I know 2 doors) are anything to go by, and an indication of what the ride quality is like in the 4 door R, I would have no issue with with using it for my little ones capsule in it. I didn't feel those two cars (stock) were overly harsh at all... quite livable. Sydney roads I have heard leave alot to be desired so I guess that would be a big influence on your view.... not that SE QLD are anything to write home about.

Still.... do you feel it would sell concurrently with the UK offering?

EDIT: Interesting view quenjose.... given Honda AUs mention of looking at introducing Acura to oz.

quenjose
09-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't that explain why they'd import the FN2R over the FD2R?

I think Honda is trying to cash in on the many people who are buying VW Golfs, Peugeot 307s and BMW 1/3 series...

Because the the FN2 is pretty much a "european" civic, so they're obviously expecting that buyer segment to notice that and consider them as an alternative. Kind of like a luxury spec euro civic, not just any japanese hatch.

Its not just about how much value for your dollar you are getting nowadays, its also about how much "image" your getting for your dollar.

kenshin
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM

I think Honda is trying to cash in on the many people who are buying VW Golfs, Peugeot 307s and BMW 1/3 series...

Because the the FN2 is pretty much a "european" civic, so they're obviously expecting that buyer segment to notice that and consider them as an alternative. Kind of like a luxury spec euro civic, not just any japanese hatch.

Its not just about how much value for your dollar you are getting nowadays, its also about how much "image" your getting for your dollar.

makes sense... but these days people will do their research... i really cant see anyone buying a up model standard FN2 when the Type R version is 3-4k higher... then again...

aaronng
09-05-2008, 07:10 PM
makes sense... but these days people will do their research... i really cant see anyone buying a up model standard FN2 when the Type R version is 3-4k higher... then again...

They will buy the regular one if they can't drive stick. :p

panda[cRx]
10-05-2008, 02:22 AM
i have spoken to several people at honda aust that have mentioned they would like a 5 door hatch for the Australasian market, however this would mean a new factory in thailand so it wont be happening in the immediate future.

they are well aware we have not had a civic hatch for some time now and are losing sales to the corolla and other similar cars

i have also heard rumours on a hatch SMALLER than the jazz being planned for aust, no idea what this could be at this stage.

Sidor
11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
They will buy the regular one if they can't drive stick. :p

or need 4-door car

Mingy
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

This statement sounds about right.

what can i say. mature adults prefers expensive eurostyle ricers.

MZ3
12-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I would be keen on a civic hatch but not for that price.. another 5K more and you can get a civic type R. OR.. for the same price.. a beasty mazda 3 MPS =P

Tofu
14-05-2008, 09:49 AM
the pricing isn't an issue here i don't think.
as many have pointed out, it is looking like it's in competition with the low end european models, but i'd still buy a bmw 1series or audi A3 for the extra $$$ over a Honda Civic

sendok
14-05-2008, 11:17 AM
yeah, this is Civic not Accord, so the price doesn't make sense LOLz...

KenBoy
15-05-2008, 12:02 PM
yeh man if i was a buyer, ill rather pay 3-4k more for the FN2R, or a Civic Sport. 35k for a 5door civic hatch is abit too much.

DreadAngel
16-05-2008, 04:58 PM
;1679078']i have spoken to several people at honda aust that have mentioned they would like a 5 door hatch for the Australasian market, however this would mean a new factory in thailand so it wont be happening in the immediate future.

they are well aware we have not had a civic hatch for some time now and are losing sales to the corolla and other similar cars

i have also heard rumours on a hatch SMALLER than the jazz being planned for aust, no idea what this could be at this stage.

Something like the Honda Life or Zest you think?

bigdongers
21-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Because the the FN2 is pretty much a "european" civic,.

Now thats a good name for it. The Civic Euro :)

Worked for the accord :)

quenjose
21-05-2008, 09:59 AM
yeah, this is Civic not Accord, so the price doesn't make sense LOLz...

I think thats whole point here isnt it? :)

If it appeals to the boy racers here... then obviously they've targeted the wrong market...

Think "yuppie".... think mature adult, or rich housewife's upmarket shopping trolley. THink "i hate boy racers"... THink "european lifestyle"....

They're selling sophistication here... (or so i assume :)... not affordability.)

I think they'll sell well. Just depends on the marketing.

inzpector
21-05-2008, 10:53 PM
this is a great move and it will sell. try throwing your mountain bike into the back of a jazz. or a type R. some people do have a life, biking, skiing, etc, and they have friends as well. we arnt all boy racers.
about time, price irrelevant, cant wait.

Jake02
08-09-2008, 10:18 PM
i cant see why people are being so negative on this subject
the hatch is a very futuristic and good looking. this car should be brought in regardless of price - would you rather this (with a 103kW 1.8L) or a base audi a3 (with a 76kW 1.6L)? the honda is certain to have better equipment and looks much better than the a3.

i think the next boast honda needs to get on is the diesel boat. they're waiting for a stupid auto box on the great 2.2L 4cyl td. if you cant drive a manual, you shouldnt be driving a diesel at all! how great would a accord cdti, civic hatch cdti (which would get similar economy to a civic hybrid) or a crv cdti??? great!

SPEEDCORE
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
i think the next boast honda needs to get on is the diesel boat. they're waiting for a stupid auto box on the great 2.2L 4cyl td. if you cant drive a manual, you shouldnt be driving a diesel at all!

This is an interesting POV from a VAG product owner......

45SET
09-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow... I’ve only read the first page... and some of you have obviously never done any form of marketing or think everyone is interested in modifying cars.

The FN2r is in a niche market vehicle, and I would hazard a guess that it is the least sold Civic... why you ask, well the average person doesn’t want a "sports car", and would prefer just getting a car that gets you from A-B.

If you have a look at the current market place, the higher sellers are:
Mazda 3
VW Golf
Ford Focus
etc etc

Do you notice something simular with all these cars? Yes they are all 4-door, 5-seat hatch backs... and they are all big sellers. They also do go into the high-$20k, low-$30k price range, and as we all know, Honda is considered one of the "upper market" Japanese car manufacturers, so it would make sense for them to sell the car for $35k.

Personally I think it would be stupid not for Honda to tap into this market, as there are more sales to be had.

aaronng
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow... I’ve only read the first page... and some of you have obviously never done any form of marketing or think everyone is interested in modifying cars.

The FN2r is in a niche market vehicle, and I would hazard a guess that it is the least sold Civic... why you ask, well the average person doesn’t want a "sports car", and would prefer just getting a car that gets you from A-B.

Mazda 3
VW Golf
Ford Focus
etc etc

Do you notice something simular with all these cars? Yes they are all 4-door, 5-seat hatch backs... and they are all big sellers. They also do go into the high-$20k, low-$30k price range, and as we all know, Honda is considered one of the "upper market" Japanese car manufacturers, so it would make sense for them to sell the car for $35k.

Personally I think it would be stupid not for Honda to tap into this market, as there are more sales to be had.
Are you basing your numbers on VFACTS? If you are, then they include fleet sales as well, something which Honda does not do. In fact, Honda had trouble keeping up with the demand of the Civic sedan, so even if they did sell to fleet, the waiting list would end up being much much longer.

Nax
09-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Mazda 3
VW Golf
Ford Focus
etc etc

ur sorta hitting it, and sorta not there. yes it is the least sold civic, not cuz people come in and go ewww sporty, they go OMFG 43k???? I get heaps of people coming in asking about it, then jumping back about three feet as if it were cooty ridden when they see the price. I think bringing in a civic hatch is brilliant, but its about 5-10k overpriced. the majority of people who come in lookin for a hatch are sitting in the high end jazz-civic range, but dont like the sedans, most 35-40k buyers are looking for something a bit more luxurious and rarely ask about hatches. I think if they dropped the price to suit for the average family, vti and vti-L range, then the sales would blow through the roof.

45SET
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
ur sorta hitting it, and sorta not there. yes it is the least sold civic, not cuz people come in and go ewww sporty, they go OMFG 43k???? I get heaps of people coming in asking about it, then jumping back about three feet as if it were cooty ridden when they see the price. I think bringing in a civic hatch is brilliant, but its about 5-10k overpriced. the majority of people who come in lookin for a hatch are sitting in the high end jazz-civic range, but dont like the sedans, most 35-40k buyers are looking for something a bit more luxurious and rarely ask about hatches. I think if they dropped the price to suit for the average family, vti and vti-L range, then the sales would blow through the roof.

Just doing a quick search I came up with the following:
Ford Focus ZETEC - RRP $26490
Mazda 3 Maxx Sport - RRP $28500
VW Golf 2L FSI - RRP $29500
Audi A3 1.6 - RRP $37200
BMW 120i - RRP $43300

The reason why people would jump back when you say its $43k is because you can buy a NEW WRX for $40k... which comes with 2.5 Turbo, 4wd, 2 extra doors... but the same "questionable" styling

Are you basing your numbers on VFACTS? If you are, then they include fleet sales as well, something which Honda does not do. In fact, Honda had trouble keeping up with the demand of the Civic sedan, so even if they did sell to fleet, the waiting list would end up being much much longer.

No... thats based off real world facts... as in what I see on the road or in a carpark.

Nax
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
isnt that basically what i just said, 43k = too expensive?

i doubt people jump back because they know the exact price of a new wrx, im pretty sure they jump back cuz 43k is alot of money

and rexes are overrated anyways

45SET
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes I agree with you, the FN2r is a very expensive car for what it is... and i'm sure people that are serious about a FN2r would know the price of a WRX and a Mazda 3 MPS... and a VW Golf GTi, (And a few others) as they are all in the market against each other and they would test drive all these cars.

I'm guessing your work at a Honda Dealership... it would be interesting to find out what other cars people are looking at when they come in to look at a FN2r... and when the 5door civic comes out, what other cars they are looking at.

aaronng
09-09-2008, 11:46 AM
No... thats based off real world facts... as in what I see on the road or in a carpark.
I see more Civic sedans than Focus hatches... Mazda3 on the other hand, now that was very good marketing and execution, especially during a time when all you had was the previous gen Corolla, undesirable Civic hatch, Tiida and Astras. The best choice to for would have been the Mazda3! :thumbsup:

Nax
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes I agree with you, the FN2r is a very expensive car for what it is... and i'm sure people that are serious about a FN2r would know the price of a WRX and a Mazda 3 MPS... and a VW Golf GTi, (And a few others) as they are all in the market against each other and they would test drive all these cars.

I'm guessing your work at a Honda Dealership... it would be interesting to find out what other cars people are looking at when they come in to look at a FN2r... and when the 5door civic comes out, what other cars they are looking at.

i was more saying that when im shopping around and see something out of my price i dont automatically think of another product, i just see the price and go wow thats too much, which is what i think most people would do.

people who are serious about an fn2 do usually look at other sporty cars, but if u recall my arguement was towards the fact that the new model should be aimed lower, at the average person, who is the people im talking about who go WOW at the price, aergo, the new hatch should be aimed at that demographic.

JZ45HO
15-09-2008, 08:51 AM
someone in Honda's market research department should get shot

Havocwreaker
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder if they'll continue to go ahead with this now that the effects of the credit shortage have intensified. The fact that we're only getting about 36 pence for an Aussie dollar may have just killed this plan.

Chris_F
10-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Personally I think Honda's model line-up is confusing...

Accord & Accord Euro

Both are about the same size and even come with similar engine configurations. They even look more alike these days.

Why not call the regular accord the Inspire like it is in Japan and only sell it with a V6 to distinguish the two models?

Civic & Civic Type R
Worlds appart in terms of practicality, price and styling. Too bad if you want a non-type R hatch... too bad if you want a type-R sedan.

Legend
An even bigger accord that costs twice as much? "I'll have a BMW for that money thanks"

*face palm* to all of the above

hisoka
10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I want to know too.. $5k is a hefty amount to slap on a car in that segement.

this guy is right aye~you can be looking at accord euro for the price. or not much more just get the aussie type R

tangman
11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
F*** the Euro hatch Civic and its price. Thats my 2 cents

drifter
14-10-2008, 04:05 PM
i rather go for the 4 dr civic TYPE R............

midnightdood
04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I guess the high paid corporate execs at honda must be privy to some decent weed.

Sidor
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
According to Honda AU, Honda Civic SI hatch is coming in April. (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/honda.com.au/home/about+honda/news/honda+to+introduce+civic+5-door+to+australia)

it would be interested to know how much it will cost. With recent AU dollar exhcange rate it won't be cheap or sure ...

Any insiders know how much it will be ?

tron07
10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
close to 30k, I would go for the euro...

I was looking at civic 2.0, and top up slightly can get the euro, decided to go for the euro... and it rocks.

Riviera
11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
bringing that car here is just the most rediculous idea yet,
its so bulky and ugly and gutless K20A it up geez... (+supercharger:thumbsup:)

More type R please with the same power as the JDM releases....

locote
12-03-2009, 12:07 AM
This Si looks just like the R WTF??
My cousing has a Si with a K20 drove it went ok, prob just a bit quicker than our CTR here...

Sidor
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
This Si looks just like the R WTF??
My cousing has a Si with a K20 drove it went ok, prob just a bit quicker than our CTR here...

I belive you are talking about Civic Si in America which must be a very different car compare with UK's Si and the one we are getting to Australia.

Rudy
13-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I belive you are talking about Civic Si in America which must be a very different car compare with UK's Si and the one we are getting to Australia.

we need the usdm si ! UK hatch = fail.

Riviera
18-03-2009, 07:55 PM
we need the usdm si ! UK hatch = fail.

+++++ to that one - UK 5door hatch = fail

probly got some 1.5L sohc pulling that lump around

Tofu
06-04-2009, 07:25 PM
here is the Drive.com.au article about the australian euro civic hatch....dumb move honda!
but....there will still be people out there that think this is a great car and won't mind paying $40k for a Civic....LOL to them!!

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=61961

aaronng
06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
After reading that, I seem to think that Honda Australia are on some sort of crack.......

Who in their right mind would buy this over the FN2R? Heck, I would just buy a GTI instead.

SPEEDCORE
07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
After reading that, I seem to think that Honda Australia are on some sort of crack.......

Well they are bringing in 420 of them..... ;)

I heart the SSS
07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Well they are bringing in 420 of them..... ;)

LOL!

40ks a jip...

aaronng
07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Bring in 50 FD2Rs without change from japspec at 50k each, they might sell like hotcakes ehhehehhe

s2o0o
07-04-2009, 11:28 PM
You may think the price is steep - but you should see the amounts of people interested in this car! They will sell out like hotcakes.

I cannot stress the amount of people I have seen walk into the showroom ready to purchase a Type R and not knowing how to drive a manual. The Civic Si will appeal to these people - and from the feedback I've gotten from the Melbourne International Motorshow; this is definantly a head turning hot hatch!

EGB18CT
08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
sohc 1.8L ... 103kw fails... what on earth are they thinking with the price!!

s2o0o
08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Unlike the Type R; this is a more luxurious variant with top of the range features.

If the response, demand and sales of the Civic Si is successful; Honda may bring in a standard type in this shape for a lesser price. Hopefully sales go well!

I drove the manual Si today. Sorry for the quality of the shots as these are taken on my phone; but here is a peek:

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130554_4741942.jpg

http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130549_7398142.jpg
http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130551_430339.jpg
http://photos-a.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130560_7254471.jpg
http://photos-g.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130558_3103944.jpg
http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130557_4131804.jpg
http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2706/197/28/701395317/n701395317_2130556_1200486.jpg

aaronng
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm not liking that front grill... The Type R one is nicer. And that gearstick base looks..... american?

Sp00ny
09-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Bring in 50 FD2Rs without change from japspec at 50k each, they might sell like hotcakes ehhehehhe

Might is an understatement. Although the problem with Honda's is that the vast majority of enthusiasts can't seem to afford/want to buy a new one at a very high price. We rely on the second hand market too much, that's probebly why they haven't brought it in... along with other reasons of course...

The X Man
12-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Honda = one word - idiots.

aaronng
12-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Might is an understatement. Although the problem with Honda's is that the vast majority of enthusiasts can't seem to afford/want to buy a new one at a very high price. We rely on the second hand market too much, that's probebly why they haven't brought it in... along with other reasons of course...

People bought the DC5R. That's where the supply for the 2nd hand market came from. There were also quite a few DC5S sold. I bought my Euro new as well and there are also quite a few with a new CU2 on this forum alone.

SPEEDCORE
12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
this is definantly a head turning hot hatch!

Hot hatch with a R18.... -ve

And for a price of over $40k for an auto variant..... if anyone buys this over a Golf they must have smoked a meteor sized chunk of rock.

Riviera
13-04-2009, 10:10 PM
geez theyre ugly... youd back the rear of that thing into everything...
id do it on purpose....

is all the drivetrain and suspension functions all the same as the current
FN2R??? by not having Independant rear suspension???

burak213
13-04-2009, 10:15 PM
i really like the pic with the stockings MOAR

rodericb
14-04-2009, 09:51 PM
+1

It really is a bit expensive I think - $40k is a lot of money considering what else is on the market (even Hondas own stuff like the Accord Euro and existing Civic sedan!)

6-SpeedManual
15-04-2009, 12:02 AM
I feel sorry for the future kids of the parent who will one day drive this fugly overpriced piece of shit. FD still beats this! thumbsUP

Tofu
23-04-2009, 11:40 PM
You may think the price is steep - but you should see the amounts of people interested in this car! They will sell out like hotcakes.

I cannot stress the amount of people I have seen walk into the showroom ready to purchase a Type R and not knowing how to drive a manual. The Civic Si will appeal to these people - and from the feedback I've gotten from the Melbourne International Motorshow; this is definantly a head turning hot hatch!

and how many people turned away disappointed after finding out how much it cost?

also, people being interested in this car at the Motorshow is completely different to them actually going to the dealership and signing on the dotted line for a $40k Civic...

wokstar88
08-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I feel sorry for the future kids of the parent who will one day drive this fugly overpriced piece of shit. FD still beats this! thumbsUP

Its literally just a 5 door hatch FN2R with a bastardised engine that the wife and mother in-law will approve. $35k for 108kw from a 1.8L, Honda Australia is smoking crack. Really makes u wonder what they get up to at the head office. First they build that crapcake iPhone/iTouch Honda showroom and now they bring this crap out...

Seriously just bring the FD2R over with some touch ups to 'Australian standards' and the brand will surely boost up like there was no WFC!

Riviera
09-05-2009, 08:09 PM
seriously just bring the fd2r over with some touch ups to 'australian standards' and the brand will surely boost up like there was no wfc!

here! Here!!!!!!

pkn
14-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Its literally just a 5 door hatch FN2R with a bastardised engine that the wife and mother in-law will approve. $35k for 108kw from a 1.8L, Honda Australia is smoking crack. Really makes u wonder what they get up to at the head office. First they build that crapcake iPhone/iTouch Honda showroom and now they bring this crap out...

buddy how bout you actually put your thinking cap on and understand that bringing a new vehicle into a market is a lengthy planning process, done YEARS before it even hits our shores. so you gota understand that when planning was done to bring this vehicle in, the budgeting was done during bouyant times. its not as simple as pulling the pin on a vehicle, its called honouring a commitment.

you think a business is going to cop the fluctuations in exchange rates? a business is there to make money. this vehicle is not intended to be a front line seller - heck thats what the thai sourced civics, jazzs and accords are there for. this is there to appeal to a market niche and if you cant deal with the cost then so be it, vote with your dollars and buy something you can afford.

preludeman
14-05-2009, 02:12 PM
is this even happening anymore???

DON
18-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Honda always excuses the exchange rate which sadly many people believe it. If the exchange rate is so bad why Subaru or Mazda does not jack up price as much as Honda does? I think Honda jacks up the price to maintain the higher profit.

pkn
18-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda always excuses the exchange rate which sadly many people believe it. If the exchange rate is so bad why Subaru or Mazda does not jack up price as much as Honda does? I think Honda jacks up the price to maintain the higher profit.

Man I love how you just assume shiz.

How about their parent companies in Japan are SUBSIDISING their local operations here in Australia, and therefore can afford NOT TO raise the prices on their vehicles.

Just because Honda Australia is a subsidiary of Honda Motor Co Japan, it doesn't have the luxury of the other Jap importers here in Australia, and consequently must stand on its own two feet.

Do some research before you start making such stupid ass comments on something you obviously know shiz all about.

wokstar88
24-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Man I love how you just assume shiz.

How about their parent companies in Japan are SUBSIDISING their local operations here in Australia, and therefore can afford NOT TO raise the prices on their vehicles.

Just because Honda Australia is a subsidiary of Honda Motor Co Japan, it doesn't have the luxury of the other Jap importers here in Australia, and consequently must stand on its own two feet.

Do some research before you start making such stupid ass comments on something you obviously know shiz all about.

They must obey the mother ship.