PDA

View Full Version : using different springs with coilover sleeves

vinnY
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
anyone know whether its possible to use any old spring with coilover sleeves?
i've noticed the ones that come with the sleeves usually have a flat base and flat top while most lowering springs aren't

dsp26
08-05-2008, 06:03 PM
i wouldn't for 2 reasons:

- standard springs are longer unless designed for sleeves/full coilovers
- experimented with cutting springs once and trying to get it flat to sit against the perch. doesn't work as you can tell by looking at the 2 and the way sleeve springs are designed. cut springs will slip off the perch and lower that corner very abruptly and is VERY dangerous!!!

vinnY
08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
i assumed as much, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask though :p
will see which direction i end up going with..

dsp26
08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
for anyone who decides to use (proper) coilover springs i strongly suggest you purchase spring tensioners from Whiteline or Pedders for around $130 a pair..

They look like the thinner springs in the right strut of the below pic. This will prevent springs slipping off the perch due to no tension:
http://www.skunk2.com/images/fcopros.jpg

For those who have had sleeves, you know that when you jack up your car theres this massive gap between the top of the spring and upper mount due to lowering of the sleeve.. obviously no tension.. imagine hitting a bump in the road... the slipping spring will change your camber everytime it moves and will steer the car for you.. very dangerous in the wet and i'm speaking from experience...

dsp26
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
i assumed as much, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask though :p
will see which direction i end up going with..

like i said which i forgot to add in that for sale thread.. the OMNI sleeves have better rates than the random eBay ones... you still have your Eibachs right ? why not try them or are they normal eibach springs?

Eibach make the springs for the Ground Control Sleeves....

vinnY
08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
^yeah yet to put on the sleeves, just thinking about alternatives if i don't like the feel of them
yeah i have normal eibach sportline springs, which are good
with higher profile tyres its stopped licking the road but it rubs on full lock on driveways :(
anyone want to swap prokits for the sportlines? :D

on another note emailed ground control store for a quote for the sleeves US$339 + US$200 shipping, ridiculous.

i've heard of people machining extra 'grooves' on to the shock body to get more height options, anyone have info on this?

also had some crazy idea of cutting out a small sleeve which will hopefully fit the shock real snug and using that as a spacer to sit on top of the stock cir-slip and under the 'cup' that holds the spring
any reason why this would be a stupid ass idea?

edit; forgot to mention koni yellow shocks

dsp26
08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
i've heard of people machining extra 'grooves' on to the shock body to get more height options, anyone have info on this?

the grooves are used for you to lock the sleeves into a different place instead of them resting on the strut perch.

sleeves usually lock via allen key bolts on the sides of the sleeves that clamp them to your shock body... this is also dangerous.. strongly suggest you get the sleeves welded to your struts to even make them road legal...

sleeves are not ADR approved and highly defectable if seen not welded to shock body...

vinnY
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
nah i mean stock koni's have perches so you can adjust the height, i've heard of people machining extra grooves to sit the stock cir-clip and ring in

if i were to use the sleeves, i'd keep the stock cup there so it doesn't need to secure itself via screws and potentially slip