PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here... pls help.

Uncouth
11-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi guys! sorry if the questions im going to ask sounds stupid. Im a amateur in cars. Anyway, i just bought a 92 civic hatch. it runs on twin carbi so which engine model is that? I have just installed a 2.5in cat back exhaust. Trying to do my hifi next (using ORIGINAL honda hifi). Any good deals for hifi in perth?? :P

I am thinking of enhancing the performance of my car so any tips from anyone out there?? I need more power and speed. :P

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

rAySiR
11-09-2004, 04:39 AM
i think u got urself a civic breeze...

i think adding a 2.5 inch cat-back wouldn't enhance ur performance... i think it would have teh reverse effects....

but if u want more performance... i'd suggest get a b16a...!!!!! :D

btw welcome to ozhonda.... :wave:

wolf
11-09-2004, 07:44 AM
the way you find out what engine you have is by looking for the code on the engine, there is a silvery bit not too far down at the front your car would start with D then it would have a number 13 means its a breeze (1.3litre) 15 means its 1.5 and you get the point, then it has another letter at the end so if you looked at it and saw d13b or d16y1 thats what engine youd have. If its a d13 the only engine mod worth doing is an engine replacement cause they got like less then 60hp lol so basically doing work to it would be a complete waste of monies, just go for the boom boom audio

bennjamin
11-09-2004, 12:47 PM
a 2.5 inch exhust on a 1.3....would no doubt loose about 15 or so of those 60 (fly-wheel-horsepower) - seriosuly mate - you should stick with a stock xhust system , and jsut replace the muffler - your car will be faster and just better overall than that 2.5 - 2.5inch is not even reccommended for a 1.8 litre engine !

Save yourself the bother - IF you want to go fast ( i dont suggest it for yourself-being a "noob") so either sell your car and invest into another newer or potentially faster car - such as a EG vti or Si , or try to find a EK vtir....all of which have atleast 2 times the HP stock with no mods.

toE
11-09-2004, 01:00 PM
orr....if you wish to keep the car, seeing as you just bought her, then swap in another engine either B16 (frm a Civic VTi-R-EK4), or B18C (frm an Integra VTi-R - DC2), or B18C-R (frm an Integra Type R - DC2R), or H22A (frm a Prelude VTi-R - BB6 {?}), CRV-TEC (a B20, mated with a B18), LS/VTEC (a B18 mated with a B16)....hell why not a K20A (frm a Integra Type R - DC5R).

The possibilities are limitless (pretty much), if you have $$$ and wanna spend it ;)

Good luck with your adventure and.....do a search. Quite a fair few info to help you learn too. :)

civic_mods
11-09-2004, 02:44 PM
take off ur big wheels and fit 15" to a ll 4 corner,u will feel much better in a cheap way~ :)

SiR JDM
11-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Guys he said its a twin carbi, so no way that its a 1.3.. the breeze is a single carbi engine untill the 94 breezes came out, which were twin carbis which were the 1.5 litres.
From the looks of the picture you have colour coded mirrors and door handles,
id put my money on saying its a Gl ..

2.5" is wayyy to big for a 1.5 carbi, its even too big for a 1.6 DOHC VTEC ..

If you want performance out of ur car, EG carbis arnt the way to go...
From where I see it you have a couple options..
Do an engine swap in ur current model to any of the engiens listed by toE..
Or,
Sell the car and buy a EG4 (Vti) or EG5 (Si) If that is sitll not enough power extra power (test drive before you buy it :P) chuck a turbo kit on it?

It all depends wat $$ u got to work with and wat u want out of the car..
if u wanna go fast in a straight line, go the turbo..

Theres heaps of threads outlining the different conversions available to EGs so just search it up n see wat you can find = ]

Dr4g0n
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
or, how about if you wanna go fast in a corner or straight line, get a nicely matched turbo setup to the motor and blow the doors off these civics with b16/b18/b20/h22a swap...with the breeze motor it'll be somewhat more difficult than if you had the d16 (1.6L) motor.

SiR JDM
11-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Once again, this car is not a breeze...

Uncoth, tell us this..
Do you have power windows? Power Mirrors? A Rev Tacho?
If you have these, youve got urself a EG Civic GL ..

Even if your car posseses none of these, you dont have the breeze 94/95 variety because that is EFi, so you cant have a 1.5 carbi breeze

Id bet my car that u have urself a 92-93 EG Gl Civic, after 93 all the Gl models with EFi and were as such GLis from then on ...

[edit : reworded ]

FANATK
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
i dont understand how any exhaust place could fit a 2.5" enhaust on a 1.5L carby?
not everyone knows alot about cars, so its up to the exhaust professionals to be a 'professional' and put the correct size in!

probably best to have a 1.75" or 2" exhaust

maybe change the carbys to performance ones? not sure of brands, a while ago a mate had the old skool carby '84 prelude with dual webber carbs... its went pretty good :) was a 1.8L and had a 2" exhaust..

also get some carby cleaner ($5-10) and give the carbs a clean, rid it of all the deposits

Jay
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
i agree, Sir JDM its a GL for sure
1.5 twin carbi not a 1.3 breeze model

and as far as performance enhancement goes go for a b16a easy to get engineered compared to all the other alternatives

z3lda
12-09-2004, 12:07 AM
u want original honda hifi? i got a tape deck with cd controller and a 6stack cd player for sale =]

Uncouth
12-09-2004, 05:24 AM
i agree, Sir JDM its a GL for sure
1.5 twin carbi not a 1.3 breeze model

and as far as performance enhancement goes go for a b16a easy to get engineered compared to all the other alternatives

Sorry for the late reply... anyway, yes, i have got the power windows, power mirror. It should be a civic GL right?? so what is the engine model?? (still confused. sorry) so what are the mods that i can do to my car?? anyway, just fitted a pioneer mp3 hifi to it. (1st step :P) And if engine swap is the best thing t do, how much will it roughly cost? im in perth.

thanks so much for the help guys!
cheers!

Uncouth
12-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Sorry for the late reply... anyway, yes, i have got the power windows, power mirror. It should be a civic GL right?? so what is the engine model?? (still confused. sorry) so what are the mods that i can do to my car?? anyway, just fitted a pioneer mp3 hifi to it. (1st step :P) And if engine swap is the best thing t do, how much will it roughly cost? im in perth.

thanks so much for the help guys!
cheers!

EG4
12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't say an engine swap or turboing ur car would be the better option

but really do u know what u want? what are you trying to achieve?

are you just modding your car because everyone else id doing it? or do u really know what ur trying to achieve?

Many guys here have an objective go out and do what they want. It really all depends on what u want? speed or looks or big sound? or the works.

Think about what u want and then come back for more advice

mytoycivic
12-09-2004, 06:46 PM
um if you actually look at the pic you can see i says GL
meh go for B16a :D

SiR JDM
12-09-2004, 07:46 PM
um if you actually look at the pic you can see i says GL

It does, but the post was edited and the pic u see now wasn't there before when we were discussing what model it is...

Sorry for the late reply... anyway, yes, i have got the power windows, power mirror. It should be a civic GL right?? so what is the engine model?? (still confused. sorry)

It is definatly a GL, this was established before you added the pic to ur original post, but the pic u posted verified it...
Your engine is a D15B(4?)

so what are the mods that i can do to my car??

I strongy agree withe EG4 on this... it reallly does depend what you want to acheive, how much your willing to spend, what you want your main focus to be etc etc...
If you just want to be fast around corners etc, perhaps change to some performance carberators and get some decent springs..
Its a very cheap way to maximize the use of a GL .. pm EGCARBZ on the forums.. hes got that setup at the moment and its very fast on twisties

Other than that, engine swap is probably your only other option if your after a larger increase in power ..
If your after a high reving NA vtec machine, once again the list toE outlined on the previous page are the different options each coming with a different price tag :P
Or if u want a turbo setup, id recommend either selling ur GL and buying a SI or VTi and turboing it, or doing an engine swap to a SI or Vti and turboing it...

And if engine swap is the best thing t do, how much will it roughly cost? im in perth.

This is a rough guide, but from what ive read and be quoted myself..
b16a Civic SIR/VTIR - 5000-6000
b16b Civic Type R - 8000-10000
b18c Integra VTIR - 6000-8000
b18cR Integra Type R - 8000-10000

the rest im not sure about so i wont even bother giving a ball park figure.. of course the prices above are just wat ive been quoted by 1 or 2 places in melb.. so prices can and probably will vary depending on condition of the 1/2 cut etc... guys feel free to add some more accurate prices if you can

btw - the prices are labour inclusive

Uncouth
13-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Hmm... i would say that i want to get power out of the car. asked a car importer how much for a b16a engine? he said he will get back to me and the engine is halfcut. so what is an halfcut engine?? if engine swapping is the best deal to get more power out of my car then i will seriously consider it. will start asking around now for the total cost for engine swapping. :P

thanks alot for all the valuable advices and replies guys!

SiR JDM
13-09-2004, 08:54 AM
A half cut is term used derived from a car being cut in half... i presume :P
Usually when a car is involved in an accident, as long as the engine bay/gearbox, linkage etc are all fine, they will literally cut the car in 1/2 and sell you the front half of the car (undamaged)...
From that, u pretty much do a swap of engines. Of course depending wat engine your taking out and what engine your putting in its not a straight pull out put in job (ie anything beside a b16 in a EG will need differnt engine mounts) .. but basically your changing everything from the 1/2 cut into your engine bay

Basically =)

egSi
13-09-2004, 02:08 PM
wtf? i can see the gl sticker on the back, maybe its a gl :rolleyes:

mytoycivic
13-09-2004, 02:43 PM
we already sorted this...ur a bit late man...read the existing replies and you will find the answer:D::D:D just messin' wit' ya

nedgeworth
13-09-2004, 02:45 PM
wtf? i can see the gl sticker on the back, maybe its a gl :rolleyes:

Well spotted trav. Sounds like your running the same as me a d15b4. If your lookin for more power your probably best of selling your ride and starting over unless your want to join the B series club which would be your other alternative.

I'm faced with the same problem. I'm selling up and starting from scratch.

rtsnoz
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I realise i'm posting in an old old thread, but i figured it wasn't a bad place to start.

I have a 92 civic si with d16a8 engine with 320000km on the clock. The gearbox needs replacing (has a whine) and engine is a-ok but not for ever...

SO. i'm thinking of getting a b16a twin cam VTEC front cut.
Is this the right way to go?

Does anyone have any engine change handbooks or anything in electronic format which they could send me?

I've had a look around as far as places to source the engine. The only real place i've found is honda spares, (in victoria i think). Does anyone know if they are any good?

Thanks
Rohan

NeRV
08-03-2006, 08:08 PM
If you think your engine is on its way out... then either you save up for an engine conversion... or rebuild your current engine... or buy a new car..

"SO. i'm thinking of getting a b16a twin cam VTEC front cut.
Is this the right way to go?"

What is the right way?... what is your way? what do you want mate? and is money a problem or not?... if money isnt a problem... then the skies the limit... and i dont think there is a right or wrong way... its all up to what you want to achieve for your car... or your purpose.

Theres a few DIY threads... in which members have written a write up on engine conversions.. i think thats the best place to start off and have a good read.

rtsnoz
08-03-2006, 08:16 PM
What I want is to keep my car, perhaps increase performance, certainly not sacrifice any. And to keep my car going nicely, i love it!

Money is an issue, and i realise a front cut is going to be quite expencive, so it'll be a while till i buy one.. although i intend to install it myself with help from my dad...

Thanks
Rohan

PopadocD15B4
23-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello to newbies alike i have the 1.5 twin carb model and this model was discontinued late 1991, to see what engine you have just open up the bonet and search for an imprinted/engraved sequences of numbers loocated near the clutch cable which im sure is vertically inline with the distributor cap but not lower than the clutch cable system. cheers.

aimre
24-04-2006, 12:50 AM
To ppl with thse engines, although it may seem daunting (spelling) everyone here saying swap for a b16 that cost (from page 2) n e where from 5-10k. Take in to consideration a much cheaper D16 vtec conversion which can be had for alot less