PDA

View Full Version : Radiator problem

Fo55il
13-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Question: Does d radiator fan turn on when u turn car on,
or does it turn on after.

ive gotten sum diff answers so dats y im askin here.

details:

was drving, car makin funny sounds, stopped, opened hood.
car was over heating

anyways

after that

i put in new coolant. started car ..... radiator fan dint turn on... fuse was gone,changed fuse. no radiator fan still ...i dun wan drive it around incase its eplodes lol

omgzilla
13-05-2008, 05:52 PM
The radiator fan will only come on once the coolant reaches a certain temperature. It won't come on until its hot. Usually when in sitting idle for brief periods.

Aleksi
13-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, usually after about 10-15mins after car has been sitting in idle.

hayashi_1986
13-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Yep, the fan will kick in once it's reached operating temp.

If its over heating and the fan ain't coming on, plus you know for a fact the fan switch and thermostat are fine...you've probably got a nice fat air bubble somewhere inside the system.

Here's a bit of a test to see if it's an air bubble. Open up your cap, run the engine for a bit till ambient...don't step on it otherwise you'll have a green/red/blue car depending on what fluid you use.

Once it's up to ambient temp, check and see the fluid level where the opening on your radiator is. If you can't see fluid, fill it up until you can. Then fill the overflow bottle as well up to the min. line.

Put the rad. cap back on and go for a drive this time. Don't wander too far. If it starts overheating again, high tail it home with your heater tap on HOT, and fan speed on 4 on the de-mister setting (so it doesn't dry your eyes out too much).

Now, check how much the radiator has sucked up from the overflow bottle. If there's none, top up the radiator again AND the overflow bottle. If she's still overheating, you might have a faulty fan switch or thermo...or both. If you've changed these recently to new ones, check that your fan is working. Otherwise change the thermostat and fan switch (or which ever one is stuffed.)

If you really need the car for the next few days/weeks, there's a way to rig the fan to ON. But...I don't recommend that since it's pretty cold these days, and your car has to be warm to be working properly.

But, if you want it that way I'll post it up tomorrow some time.

Cheers
Nick

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 12:01 PM
.. hmm ok

so radiator fan not workin, car overheating.

wtf.

how to rig fan... ???

kayot1k
14-05-2008, 12:19 PM
what are you basing your assumptions on ?
i.e. the fan is not working because its overheated and the fan still hasnt turned on ? or the fan is not working because it doesnt turn on after i let it idle ?

edit. the overheating culprit can be more than just fan not kicking in.
blocked radiator, blocked hoses, faulty thermo.

please provide more information so people can help you.

hayashi_1986
14-05-2008, 01:45 PM
what are you basing your assumptions on ?
i.e. the fan is not working because its overheated and the fan still hasnt turned on ? or the fan is not working because it doesnt turn on after i let it idle ?

edit. the overheating culprit can be more than just fan not kicking in.
blocked radiator, blocked hoses, faulty thermo.

please provide more information so people can help you.

Quite true, can't rule out blockages either...hmmm...Best idea, flush your system out and go from there with fresh fluids. I reckon it's just an air bubble...pretty big one. Same thing happened to be a couple of weeks back. Sometimes a lack of rad fluid will do that as well. That's why I suggested he drive and check two or three times. It takes a bit of driving to see whether the system is lacking in fluids.

hayashi_1986
14-05-2008, 01:46 PM
.. hmm ok

so radiator fan not workin, car overheating.

wtf.

how to rig fan... ???

I'm not saying either is true, but keep testing and see what happens. I'll get back to you about rigging your fan later to see if it's actually the fan at fault or not.

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 05:28 PM
hmm oh ok

so i was driving

car over heated for "some" reason

now rad fan wont come on..

ive left d car on for 10-15 mins... d temp guage just rises, maybe bout half an inch below the h before i turned it off.
d fan still dint turn on ...

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 05:58 PM
i shoould probably add that
i got my car boosted recently, isnnt tuned yet.
n it used to idle funny, like up n down
not too sure if this has anythin to do with it.

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 06:21 PM
wheres d thermo located?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/FOS5IL/Image005.jpg
the top radiator pipe?
or d bottom one
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/FOS5IL/Image006.jpg

Limbo
14-05-2008, 06:38 PM
i see boost....

Did you set your ECU to turn on fan???
ALso did you wire up the relay & fan properly? Usually you get a thinner thermo fan??? Did you check the fan was working when you put it in? YOu can just test it by direct 12v battery to +ve & -ve on fan. It should spin

Thermostat is inside the metal bit in the bottom pic. But that doesn't cause the fan not to come on.

Fo55il
14-05-2008, 06:48 PM
oh okies, yeah it worked, been on boost for a few weeks now.

yeah ill havta test it out 2moro, hmmmmm

i dint hook it up, Oh member hooked everything up for me, n it worked fine.

TheGoodDeal
14-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Thermo located in the bottom one. Here DIY http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16767&highlight=thermo

Limbo
15-05-2008, 03:21 PM
which fan did you use? some of the cheap aftermarket fans tend to break down.
I'd recommend you get something like a davies craig fan much more reliabile