PDA

View Full Version : Thai Built Civic

Alvin
14-05-2008, 01:02 PM
The 8th geration Civic is built in Thailand which is one major factor why 'in my opinion' the Civic has a surprisingly affordable price for its prestige brand with all of the standard features thrown into it (Cruise Control, ABS, VTEC, not 4 speed but 5 speed for the auto transmission, etc)

Does it's origin of assembly play a significant part with the depreciation of this model? Honda is known to hold its price but I wonder if the 8th generation be any different in terms of depreciation?

clayton4115
14-05-2008, 01:11 PM
i think the parts are all Jap quality its only assembled in Thai, i could be wrong though, i do wish it was built in Japan, as the 7th Gens are.

but the 8th Gen Hybrid is imported straight from the Japanese factories.

markCivicVti
14-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Mate, chill on creating all the noob threads.

Only time will tell. The general consumer wouldn't know that they are thai built... and if they did, they probably wouldn't have known the previous ones were jap built. I don't think that this will matter much. As long as honda remain a 'prestige' (sif) brand.. thats the deciding factor.

aaronng
14-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Does it's origin of assembly play a significant part with the depreciation of this model? Honda is known to hold its price but I wonder if the 8th generation be any different in terms of depreciation?
You'd be surprised. Check the resale value after 3 years at the back of Wheels Magazine. The Thai-built Civic has a higher resale percentage over the Japanese made models!

Philip Lee
14-05-2008, 02:18 PM
You'd be surprised. Check the resale value after 3 years at the back of Wheels Magazine. The Thai-built Civic has a higher resale percentage over the Japanese made models!

but that's probably due more to demand than quality.

the 7th gen wasn't really popular like the 8th.

aaronng
14-05-2008, 04:08 PM
but that's probably due more to demand than quality.

What I was trying to say was that where the car is made doesn't solely determine the resale value. Look at the 7th gen for example. The hatch should have had a very good resale because of where it was made. But that was not the case.

Yeah, even the best quality car can have low resale if there is no demand. Look at NSX prices in the US. LOL

dmx
14-05-2008, 05:48 PM
that's the reason i bought 8th gen civic. thought it will be like 7th gen, not many ppl drive, so make it rarely to see on road. but BANG... civic everywhere:thumbdwn:

renegadeice
14-05-2008, 07:13 PM
hmmm..... i think there has been a bit of talk on the forums regarding the build quality of made in thailand civics. I've been quite lucky and have not really experienced anything significantly bad in terms of the car's build quality. but its only a year old :eek:

if it the build quality holds then I don't think it should affect the depreciation much.

www.redbook.com.au gives a basic guide on resale prices. maybe that might help you?

warwick108
15-05-2008, 12:11 PM
has any1 compared the thai made to the japan made hybrid? as in build quiality? doors? paint?

santa3563
15-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah,my neighbour have the Hybrid,if you park the Thai built next to the Hybrid you can tell the diff in the paint and interior finished of the 2.The Hybrid interior so much more refined, overall finished is much better.

markCivicVti
15-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Not a fair comparison. Compare the AUSDM Fd1/2 to the NZ FD1/2 .. I believe they have the Jap made FD1/2.

santa3563
15-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah,but you can only compare whats available in Aus.

Sherweeeny
16-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah,my neighbour have the Hybrid,if you park the Thai built next to the Hybrid you can tell the diff in the paint and interior finished of the 2.The Hybrid interior so much more refined, overall finished is much better.

can i ask what model you were comparing it with, and were the colours the same?

because my friend who details audis bmws etc says he HATES honda paint, apparently its sticky or something? and really hard to work with?

santa3563
16-05-2008, 12:41 PM
2007 VTi-L against 2007 Hybrid, misty violet against neutron blue.

aaronng
16-05-2008, 03:04 PM
c
because my friend who details audis bmws etc says he HATES honda paint, apparently its sticky or something? and really hard to work with?
It's not sticky. But it is more sensitive to heat, so you do have to work in the shade eventhough you have a product that claims to work in the sun, and if you are using a rotary, to actually mist the paint with water once every few passes to keep the temperature down.