PDA

View Full Version : need som swaybar help for ek

|nick|
14-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I am looking to get front and rear swaybars for my civic.
I have a 99 Civic Cxi hatchback and i was told by the wreckers that id probably have to replace front and rear lca's in order to fit swaybars in?
Apparently you cant do a straight bolt on with the facelift cxi?

is this true and is it worth doing? what would be a better alternative other than buying a new car?

any help is appreciated :)

dupac->
14-05-2008, 03:42 PM
changing the rear LCA is not too hard or costly..
check ur rear lca to see if they have holes so you can bolt the endlink to..

if you dont have that that you need to upgrade lca's..

not 100% sure on upgrading front sways as ive bever touched them before.

i've got a set of ek4 lca's if you're interested. but you're in perth i dunno if i could be bothered shipping
lol

dupac->
14-05-2008, 03:43 PM
and also if you're upgrading to a 22mm rear sway bar.. i would recommend you also buy a subframe reinforcement kit.. ASR

saves your subframe from tearing too.. thats another cost

beeza
14-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah check if there's holes in the stock lca's like dupac said and while your down there just make sure you haven't already got a front sway...
If there is no hole I cant see why you couldn't just drill one but may be easier/safer to just change to aftermarket lca's.That's easy as.Then you just need to get the sway bar,22mm,ASR Brace,endlinks and bushes to suit.
You can definately do it,no drama's.I just did mine.It's a must do mod.

Limbo
14-05-2008, 04:02 PM
The hardest part is getting the main bolt back in.
On the drilling side i'd prob buy some ek4 lca if your really stuck or get some aftermarket ones, they are worth the effort if your already taking things apart.
I've done this a few times and help others with it also, a worthwhile mod

honda_zivic
14-05-2008, 04:06 PM
make sure u have enuf room between da exhaust clearance coz i just install 1 on my eg an was a bitch 2 get my hands in der with da stock exhaust.

|nick|
14-05-2008, 04:16 PM
the guy at the wreckers took a quick glance under the front and said i needed new lca's for a front sway but i could hardly get my head under the car to have a look. he didnt bother having a look at my rear but said i would need rear ones too.

I thought the hole to the right of where the shock is bolted was for a swaybar?

Is it bad to have a swaybar at the rear and not have one for the front?

I'm sourcing an ek4 rear sway at the moment, it's a much cheaper option for me at the moment

thanks guys

and heres a pic i took with my mobile

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/n1une/cxilca.jpg

dupac->
14-05-2008, 04:36 PM
i wouldnt bother with the ek4 sway.

its not a major difference in handling..

if any upgrade i would reccommend saving it for a 22mm sway bar. you would notice a huge difference.

save the money and go bigger imo.

set it up right a properly to start with

dupac->
14-05-2008, 04:39 PM
here's my set up.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6800/beaksmn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

- whiteline 22mm sway
- ASR subframe reinforcement
- skunk2 LCA
- after market D brackets to fit 22mm sway onto ASR
- and beaks tie bar for blingness!

|nick|
14-05-2008, 04:41 PM
hrmm.. sounds expensive but tempting :p

does my lca have the right holes for a swaybar? cause the wrecker said it doesnt?

dupac->
14-05-2008, 04:46 PM
doesnt look like it has any holes for it..

is that a hole next to where the shock is sitting on?

to the right of it.

|nick|
14-05-2008, 04:52 PM
thats the only hole i see

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/n1une/cxilcaa.jpg

dupac->
14-05-2008, 05:06 PM
nuhh dont think that would do?

not sure ill have a look at my stock ek4 lca and let u know later
lol

|nick|
14-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Killa From Manila
14-05-2008, 05:12 PM
if thats a hole uve circled..then ur good to go. just need a ek4/9 swaybar with endlinks, bushes, brackets and bolt her up. (if ur going ek9, think about some reinforcement kit like asr, beaks, whiteline etc.)

i was running an ek4 rear swaybar with no front and i did notice difference. good little mod and doesnt give u the bouncy firmness in the rear.

for a front swaybar, u will need complete ek4/9 lower control arms and swaybar setup.

|nick|
15-05-2008, 12:21 AM
if any1 is selling an ek4 rear sway they dont want any more, shoot me a pm :p

wreckers said $110 with endlinks if they can find one :(
that's a bit much right?

anyway thanks for the help guys!

EK1.6LCIV
15-05-2008, 01:01 PM

that's a bit much right?

That's not a bad price considering a new one is over 250

Limbo
15-05-2008, 03:22 PM
dupac - ricer take that beaks off!

dupac->
15-05-2008, 03:25 PM
dupac - ricer take that beaks off!
haha NO!

i like it!

abit of rice never hurt anyone

Limbo
16-05-2008, 08:44 PM
it will if you hit a speed hump!

simonnowis
16-05-2008, 09:04 PM
That's not a bad price considering a new one is over 250

for $250 you could get a new oem ek9 rear swaybar with endlinks, d brackets etc.

dahon
16-05-2008, 09:59 PM
yep that hole you circled is the hole you use to connect the endlink from LCA to swaybar.

110 is a decent price with endlinks.

btw if youre not gonna go too hard out with your car through corners and are planning to lower it anyway, a stock ek4 sway would be a good enough mod combined with lowering. it'll give you enough response through corners and reduce understeer quite a bit.

a CTR rear sway would be overkill and cost too much for the driving gains you are gonna get in handling for say a daily and slight 'happy' driving. all in all a CTR sway bar + ASR BRACE would cost you along the lines for $400-500 bucks.

just make sure youve got the whole ek4 kit, ek4 13/14mm sway bar, bushings, mounting brackets (to attach onto subframe) and endlinks. bolts are easy to source. there are some people here on the forum selling several sway bars with/without endlinks, you could shop around the marketplace.
i am pretty sure your front should have a sway as my ek1 had one stock.

|nick|
21-05-2008, 06:30 PM
thanks guys.. no luck finding an ek4 swaybar

how are those mpr swaybars from modproject?

need an aftermarket solution that doesnt hurt the wallet as much as the asr brace combo :(

dahon
21-05-2008, 06:50 PM
look for an em1 bar.. its the same thing...
im sure there are some around. saw a couple in the marketplace before but dunno bout now...
or put a Wanted To Buy thread up for the sway.
im sure youll get some replies buddy.

Limbo
21-05-2008, 11:36 PM
get a whiteline rear bar. Not too expensive. so long as you don't go above 18mm you should be fine without a ASR or rear brace.

Last time i looke they were less than $200

EK1.6LCIV
22-05-2008, 12:43 PM
get a whiteline rear bar. Not too expensive. so long as you don't go above 18mm you should be fine without a ASR or rear brace.

Last time i looke they were less than $200

If he does that he'll still need the Fulcrum D-Links anyhow so why not just buy a CTR item in the trading section that comes with the lot :D

I'd run the brace as well seeing as the stress caused by the sway bar does has the potential to tear the metal it's attached to and for what their worth you may as well.

dahon
22-05-2008, 12:44 PM
yeh but he wants to keep his budget down, and with CTR item hell have to buy an asr brace aswell.

EK1.6LCIV
22-05-2008, 01:00 PM
It's just one of those things that does cost money and EM1 rear sways don't come around often it's a sellers market and for good gear it's not always cheap, if a jobs worth doin it's worth doing with the appropriate gear I'm just being realistic

|nick|
22-05-2008, 01:24 PM
time to save for an asr then :p

was planning to track my car this uni hols so yea.. oh well

hopefully a ek4 sway pops up somewhere

vinnY
22-05-2008, 06:08 PM
i got an ek4 rear sway, just no endlinks :p
can have it cheap if you want, not too sure how much its going to cost to ship to you though, sort of a weird shape so cubing it up is going to be weird

Parsout
22-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi |nick|,

Definitely do your research for the rear of the EK. There's so many options out there. If your planning to track your car, an EK4 setup will not cut it.

If your dead-serious about keeping cost down, you can always make some of the options yourself, especially if you know people who have a workshop with some serious tools.

An ASR brace is something easy to replicate, just need a big thick piece of black-metal and the tools to cut/drill in the right spots - all you need is a pic of an ASR brace to work from.

As for the end-links, they're better off being sourced from your wrecker if they have them, just make sure the joints are really stiff and hard to twist and that you bargain them down in price.

The swaybar itself - sky's the limit, nearly every brand makes one - and you don't necessarily need one 'for' and EK. You can use a DC2 Type R rear swaybar, which is also made by heaps of different brands.

Last but not least, the D-shackles - with Type R D-shackles/bushes you will need to drill two holes to make them line up. But alternatively you can buy D-shackles which fit the two holes on the sub-frame and find a bushing to fit.

Search this site too for anything on EK rear sway's, it's got tonnes of good information here.

Cheers, Dan.

dahon
22-05-2008, 09:10 PM
endlinks can be sourced from 'hondar'. just pm him, theyre OEM endlinks.
$69 each i hear, which is quite cheap as i was quoted 110 each from honda parts.
as for a sway bar, if you ARE going to track the car, go for asr+ CTR combo, and parsout is right, there are many other options besides the ASR. for street an ek4/em1 setup is enough.
just research and wait for the funds to appear. lol
good luck buddy.

|nick|
23-05-2008, 12:01 AM
yea i've been reading around here and hondatech and most people have some sort of reinforcement. I was also thinking about fabricating an asr style brace at one stage but then i was thinking that there must be something special/different for it to cost $300~

the help/advice is much appreciated :thumbsup:

outatime
23-05-2008, 01:12 PM
with the front swaybar, you need ek4/ek9 front control arms to fit the swaybars. the control arms cost under 200.

lukecivic
25-05-2008, 07:06 PM
ive got a ASR brace and want to fit a 22mm whiteline...what d-brackets do i need?
thanks

aowwllan
25-05-2008, 07:11 PM

that's a bit much right?

ahhhh too late was selling one with no endlinks for 60bux

its gone now though

[ricer]
25-05-2008, 07:11 PM
ive got a ASR brace and want to fit a 22mm whiteline...what d-brackets do i need?
thanks

^ head to supercheap auto
buy the swaybar brackets and 22mm d bushes

|nick|
26-05-2008, 06:59 PM
thats the only hole i see

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/n1une/cxilcaa.jpg

can anyone confirm that the hole i circled is the hole i need for a swaybar with pics? i've had conflicting comments and both parties are very confident :o

i've found a swaybar, just need to make sure it'll fit now.

i'll try to give my friend a visit to see how his ek4 one is.

dahon
26-05-2008, 07:07 PM
yes thats the hole u put the endlink through to connect the swaybar to buddy.
trust meee

Parsout
26-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi |nick|,

Yes, that is the hole for the end-link. No EK post-facelift ever came out with lower control arms with this hole missing.

lukecivic - The d-shackles should come with the sway-bar, but [ricer] is correct you can get them from nearly any auto parts supplier.

Cheers, D.

Limbo
26-05-2008, 09:40 PM
i got the brackets from supercheap also. $15 or so.