PDA

View Full Version : Engineer cert for b18c swap in an em1?

DNYALL
14-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Recently did the swap to b18c into my em1. I was told that I would not need a cert for the swap to register it. Out of ignorance I just accepted this and didn't check it out properly my self.

Anyway, went to Vic Roads today to get the engine registered with the car and They told me that an increase in capacity by more than 10% needs an engineers certificate.

Just asking if this is true? Anyone recommend a good place to go in Victoria. It won't be for a while though, need a re-build, so it will be after that.

Thanks for ya help :thumbsup:

thaizeg
14-05-2008, 08:29 PM
i thought it was less than 15% it ok...?? would also like to kno..

tRipitaka
14-05-2008, 08:36 PM
i believe it's 15% in NSW, but 10% in VIC..

when getting your car engineered, you must go to any one of the VASS certified places, and get your car engineered.. i believe there's a list of VASS mechanics on the vicroads website

VTi_b0i
14-05-2008, 08:37 PM
yeapp /\ /\
10% in victoria and 15% in nsw

beeza
14-05-2008, 08:40 PM
How about Queensland? but going from a d to a b18c will be over anyways right?

thaizeg
14-05-2008, 08:55 PM
sweet.. thanks guys :thumbsup:

EGB18CT
15-05-2008, 02:07 PM
i think rowan @ cartech would be the best to go to, mine isnt engineered yet but he was the most helpful as the rest listed on the vass list dididnt want to do my b18 sway in eg4 or charged over 1200 plus whatever needed fixing and they sounded like tools. rowan at cartech i think wanted around 700-800 for engineering and report (plus if u need fixes which are extra) but i think he said to me 1st inspection is like 350-400 then you go away fix what u need then come back for the final inspection and report which is another 350ish look up in google cartech engineering i think there in richmond.

G-Stick
15-05-2008, 02:20 PM
sounds good thanks for the info Dan

EK57SY
15-05-2008, 04:14 PM
How about Queensland? but going from a d to a b18c will be over anyways right?

i dont believe that going from a d to a b series makes a difference.. the only thing that matters is the capacity of the engine... ie 1.6L --> 1.8L

*correct me if im wrong..

mrwillz
15-05-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah engine capacity

doesnt matter what series

beeza
15-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah cool,so definately need one.

DNYALL
15-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Yep ok then. Vic roads gave me a 2 page list of places that i can go to. When the time comes i will call up that cartech place and see wat he says. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Limo
18-05-2008, 12:23 AM
just got back from my mate who had done a b18c swap into his crx, went into vicroads and they done it on the spot, just a rwc and reciepts of purchase.

Breezy
18-05-2008, 11:04 AM
just got back from my mate who had done a b18c swap into his crx, went into vicroads and they done it on the spot, just a rwc and reciepts of purchase.

what state are you in though? As every state as different rules and regulations.

EGB18CT
18-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Did the crx have a b16 in it or d series motor in it? Which vic roads as i believe they wont pass cos of the capacity difference etc... Unless there stupid?!

EGB18CT
18-05-2008, 12:02 PM
also is it a AUDM b18 or JDM or USDM? as some of the vass engineers listed dont know much about import motors and will try and make you take an emissions test unless you have proving paperwork from like honda in jap or us stating that the emissions are same or better than here (even tho they are and you tell that to some of the engineers they want the proof) thats why when i emailed rowan at cartech he seemed to be switched on and knew what he was doing and sounded professional. I think there was one around balwyn or somewhere there and melton that had not much clue of the swap in a honda and didnt really want to do it and the balwyn guy was trying to get an emission test when i phoned up when its not needed...

best bet is to get everything up to scratch etc, maybe pm one of the modproject or akmotorworks guys as i think one of them had the k series eg engineered so they could probably give you advice if you ask nicely!

mrwillz
18-05-2008, 12:33 PM

BADCRX?

blk_shadow
18-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I think BADCRX is still undergo the transplant. unless it was a different car.

Limbo
18-05-2008, 07:39 PM
i know when i did an engine transplant a while ago.
So long as the blueslip guys give you a blueslip RTA will pass it.

I had trouble putting a 20v 1.6 into a 1.6. One place told me i needed it engineered another place just gave me a blueslip.

There are alot of dodgey mechanics out there and then there are some tough ones.

dsp26
18-05-2008, 07:58 PM
i dont believe that going from a d to a b series makes a difference.. the only thing that matters is the capacity of the engine... ie 1.6L --> 1.8L

*correct me if im wrong..

it's by cc capacity.. hence why in NSW, going from B16->B18c is OK but doing LS/VTEC with B18A/B needs engineering as it falls in 16% range from memory...

Limo
19-05-2008, 04:38 AM
what state are you in though? As every state as different rules and regulations.

VIC

nah its not badcrx, another.. he had it done ages ago,just never took it down to get numbers changed over. but there are a few crx's rolling around with b18's:D

EGB18CT: gen2 crx had both the b16 and the d16, gen3 crx only had the b16

EGB18CT
19-05-2008, 08:26 AM
I think you will still need one as its around 11% the swap... but i have also heard of people going into vic roads and getting lucky as they got a person who couldnt be stuffed checking everything and just updated the details as long as you have receipts etc... Try ringing like a country vicroads like in seymour or kyneton etc as there small vic roads with only a couple people working there etc see how u go...

IEVAQ8
19-05-2008, 08:40 AM
i no that hoppers crossing vic roads, are dumb asses..............
they dont check nothing, as long as you got receipt of purchase and the car is registered, or you have a rwc, they check the engine numbers with the receipt of purchase and or rwc and away you go.............

FACT: my mate had a s13 silvia used to be green with ca18de, he painted it blue, put in a sr20det stroked to 2.2 and high mount and all bling bling with massive wheels and slapped, all he did to get it all registered again was show up with rwc, receipt of purchase for engine, and stock height with stock wheels, they checked the numbers matched and away he drove with legit registered car..............
the same mate of mine also just registered last week, another silvia that had a ca18de auto in it, and now has a rb26det (single turbo conversion) with 6speed and not a worry..................all registered and driveable........

Limo
19-05-2008, 06:30 PM
i no that hoppers crossing vic roads, are dumb asses..............
they dont check nothing, as long as you got receipt of purchase and the car is registered, or you have a rwc, they check the engine numbers with the receipt of purchase and or rwc and away you go.............

FACT: my mate had a s13 silvia used to be green with ca18de, he painted it blue, put in a sr20det stroked to 2.2 and high mount and all bling bling with massive wheels and slapped, all he did to get it all registered again was show up with rwc, receipt of purchase for engine, and stock height with stock wheels, they checked the numbers matched and away he drove with legit registered car..............
the same mate of mine also just registered last week, another silvia that had a ca18de auto in it, and now has a rb26det (single turbo conversion) with 6speed and not a worry..................all registered and driveable........

NICE!:D

Jackman
19-05-2008, 09:21 PM
hopper crossing here i come lol

DNYALL
19-05-2008, 09:36 PM
HAHA might give it a try :)

EK9
26-05-2008, 12:11 PM
yeah if you do need a VASS, that Rowan guy in Richmond is the place to go... VicRoads actually showed me to him when my car needed an inspection. He's on Butler St, Richmond (more like North Richmond, just behind Victoria St).

IEVAQ8
26-05-2008, 01:08 PM
i rang rowan..............and he wont touch modified engines............... :(

Breezy
26-05-2008, 08:28 PM
i rang rowan..............and he wont touch modified engines............... :(

I also been looking into getting a vass cert myself and i've read that any mods to the engine that will effect emissions are illegal, unless it is retested to meet ADR Standards. Basically the new motor must not emit more pollution than the original motor.

Have a read of this one http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

blk_shadow
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM

did your mate bring a brand new RWC or the RWC when he purchased the car?

votek
08-07-2008, 02:29 AM
hey

the crx didnt even need a rwc

his my brother. just brought it down to vicroads with a proof of purchase and it was all done on the spot =]

blk_shadow
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
hey

the crx didnt even need a rwc

his my brother. just brought it down to vicroads with a proof of purchase and it was all done on the spot =]

cheers mate :)