PDA

View Full Version : Muffler for 98' EK CXI

williamwong
14-05-2008, 09:00 PM
thinking of changing the muffler on my ek just for appearence reasons.
dont want anything big ass like 5inch cannon etc.

i'm in melbourne SE suburbs. what would be the easiest/cheapest way to do it? by a muffler from Repco and bring it to exhaust shop to get it welded? how much am i looking at spending?

any information about piping that i should need to know beforehand?

Gio
14-05-2008, 09:20 PM
ek4 muffler

Zdster
14-05-2008, 09:39 PM
If you just want to change the muffler and/or exhaust tip then it is very easy. Go to any good exhaust shop and they will have one they can install. You wont need to worry about piping etc just the muffler.

Depending on what muffler you go for (brand, style etc) it should cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Gio
14-05-2008, 10:05 PM
my post deserves a pq point sir Zdster

Jord
15-05-2008, 08:53 AM
make sure u get a good quality exhuast dude. u can gte cheap ass shit that will sound terrible. my local exhuast shop only charged me 50 bucks to fit a nice rear muffler to my ed. this included about 1 metre of piping i supplied the muffler. on my current EK i got charged $240 for a cat back 2" system but unfortunately it sounds crap.. he supplied the muffler this time. been replaced x2 under warranty getting done for the 3rd time today!

|nick|
15-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Well if you just want the look and not the noise, you could just get a 3" tip or something welded on to your stock muffler and polish your stock muffler up. This should cost you like 20-30 for the tip and about $10 for some metal polish

If you want to just change the muffler, you're going to expect some noise in return. You could add some resonators/mufflers in the middle to reduce the noise though. Last time i supplied a muffler and got it welded on for $40.

If you're going for a catback, it was advised by my muffler guy to get a resonator/muffler for this set up or you will experience a raspy noise at certain revs. The place i goto charges $110 for catback and $30-40 for additional resonator/muffler in the middle.

Oh.. and also for Cxi's, being a 1.6L engine, don't go for a catback larger than 2". Inlet should be ok upto 2.5" on your muffler because exhaust places should be able to flange the piping to fit but you should check that out.