PDA

View Full Version : What are Possible engine swaps

DannyB
29-10-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm just intreagued as it would be pointless to turbo the 16dy4 engine in a 99 cxi ...what engine swaps are possible?? i'm fully aware this would be expensive but far far far more pheasable than turbo !!

one more chance
29-10-2003, 10:37 AM
the 3 most common will be b16a, b18c or h22a...all vtec variants

Trust-Me
29-10-2003, 10:55 AM
yeah the rearist of them all ' B16B'... which would killer if u can get a hold on one but u mite save some more dosh for this engine

A'PEXi
29-10-2003, 02:14 PM
it wouldn't be totally pointless to turbo the d16y4, it has been done before... it might not be as effiecent or "wise" speaking in terms of money etc. but yeh, b20 is another possible option.

fueltank
30-10-2003, 09:57 AM
I'd save up for a Type-R half cut.
Swap the brakes over at the same time as the motor :)

mo
30-10-2003, 11:07 AM
I'd save up for a Type-R half cut.
Swap the brakes over at the same time as the motor :)

w3rd!! ITR frontcut 8)

skoota
30-10-2003, 12:30 PM
What exactly are "half cuts"? Can someone explain it to me? I thought an engine is an engine and that's all you could get??? :oops: :arrow: :roll:

wynode
30-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Engine is generally just the engine and gearbox.

Half cut includes everything in front of the firewall usually. E.g Engine, wiring loom, radiator......prettymuch everything in the engine bay.

fueltank
30-10-2003, 02:11 PM
What exactly are "half cuts"? Can someone explain it to me? I thought an engine is an engine and that's all you could get??? :oops: :arrow: :roll:

Think of everything from the front door hinge to the front bar.
That is what a front cut usually consists of.

Setanta
30-10-2003, 02:12 PM
It tends to include the dashboard and the all important ECU as well :P

wynode
30-10-2003, 02:40 PM
It tends to include the dashboard and the all important ECU as well :P

Yess....that too :P

Bumble B
30-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Pulled from a magazine I got:

B16A (from Civic VTiR, CRX) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

B16B (from Civic Type R) Easy Installation, engineers reports required

B18C/1/2 (from Integra VTiR) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

B18C/5/7 (from Integra Type R) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

H22A (from Prelude VTiR) Med/Hard Installation, engineers report required

I just copied this from a mag I got (very useful!!). Can someone tell me if the info about the engineers report is correct for the Integra engines please? :)

fueltank
30-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Pulled from a magazine I got:

B16A (from Civic VTiR, CRX) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

B16B (from Civic Type R) Easy Installation, engineers reports required

B18C/1/2 (from Integra VTiR) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

B18C/5/7 (from Integra Type R) Easy Installation, no engineers report required unless using import engine

H22A (from Prelude VTiR) Med/Hard Installation, engineers report required

I just copied this from a mag I got (very useful!!). Can someone tell me if the info about the engineers report is correct for the Integra engines please? :)

Any person considering substantial modifications to their vehicle is advised to engage the services of an engineering signatory who is experienced in automotive engineering. Vehicle Standards Information No. 15 gives a list of Engineering Signatories who are recognised by the Authority for the purpose of issuing engineering certificates.
Owners are advised that as part of the process of certification, an engineering signatory will need to inspect and in some cases, require tests to be carried out on components that in the finished vehicle will be inaccessible or not fully visible. Owners should therefore contact an engineering signatory at the earliest possible stage (preferably before commencing the modification) and where required, arrange for the signatory to inspect the vehicle at appropriate stages throughout the modification
process.

Do I need an engineering signatory for minor modifications?
Vehicle modifications fall into three distinct categories:
• “Owner certified” minor modifications which can be accepted for registration purposes without
formal certification;
• “Engineering signatory certified” modified production vehicles; and
• “Engineering signatory certified” individually constructed vehicles.
Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment for the vehicle concerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications of a minor nature which do not affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as brakes and steering. These modifications have little or no impact upon the vehicle’s level of compliance with the Australian Design Rules.

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
• engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly);
• the fitting of a proprietary sunroof (if the modifications are of a minor nature only);
• fitting a “package” available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power steering, alternative transmission and bucket or bench seats);
• additional lighting eg: fog & driving lights;
• alternative wheels and tyres within the owner certified limits set by the Authority (see Vehicle Standards Information Sheet No. 9 Guidelines for Alternative Wheels & Tyres);
• fitting of handling enhancing suspension components such as roll stabiliser bars and up-rated shock absorbers.

Major modifications which fall outside the category of minor (owner certified) modifications, require submission of certification by an engineering signatory. This is usually in the form of an “engineering certificate” prepared by the signatory. The original of this certificate is generally required to be submitted to the RTA for notification of the modifications or for registration of the vehicle. The duplicate copy or owners copy is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle and should be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

Replacement engine
There are set engine capacity limits for a modified passenger car or passenger car derivative and these are set out in the table below. Owners should note that an engine might not be suitable even though it’s capacity falls within the specified limits. Owners are therefore advised to check details of a proposed engine conversion with an engineering signatory before commencing the work.

fueltank
30-10-2003, 03:39 PM
The above was taken from
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi06.pdf

Do it right the first time and avoid the defects/hassles later. 8)

skoota
31-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Ah I get it - I was thinking geeze who want the front half of an engine duh... :oops: Anyways thanks Wynode, fueltank and Setanta. Hey fueltank or anyone else - how much are all of those engines that u listed??? I'd wanna get a B16b or B18C1/2 - that in my Ek would be a little pocket rocket! :twisted:

skoota
31-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Hey also - what mag was that from? I'd wanna get a copy of that. Thanks. :D

mo
31-10-2003, 07:51 AM
hey belinda, what magazine was that taken from?
talk to you on msn actually :D

fueltank
31-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Ah I get it - I was thinking geeze who want the front half of an engine duh... :oops: Anyways thanks Wynode, fueltank and Setanta. Hey fueltank or anyone else - how much are all of those engines that u listed??? I'd wanna get a B16b or B18C1/2 - that in my Ek would be a little pocket rocket! :twisted:

it varies from the year model to the km's travelled.
best to call up SSS or someone similar to get an idea.

mo
31-10-2003, 10:19 AM
EF b16a2 is like $3500 i thinkz...i remember seeing one around for that price.

Bumble B
31-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey guys.... I got it from the Auto Salon Magazine (Issue 3, Nov 2002). Has an article on the process of doing an engine conversion. (The very reason why I got the magazine!!). Written by Charles Kha who ended up putting a B18C1 engine into his EK Civic.

mo
31-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey guys.... I got it from the Auto Salon Magazine (Issue 3, Nov 2002). Has an article on the process of doing an engine conversion. (The very reason why I got the magazine!!). Written by Charles Kha who ended up putting a B18C1 engine into his EK Civic.

ahhh...do you gots a scanner? :D
anyways....lol he called it the all motor monster but it's only running a b18c1? he should've put in b18c5/7 or something...real monster there :lol:

Bumble B
31-10-2003, 10:35 AM
I don't have a scanner...sorry. I guess if you want, I can photocopy the article and give it to ya at the next meet or something?

It says he came accross a really cheap B18C1, thats why he got it. I recall he did want the B18C5/7 though...don't know where I got that from. Maybe Faan days...lol :)

fueltank
31-10-2003, 10:44 AM
I'd still call up RTA to see if you need an engineer's cert.
a 2min phone call could save your car from being impounded later on for not being approved.

mo
31-10-2003, 03:21 PM
I don't have a scanner...sorry. I guess if you want, I can photocopy the article and give it to ya at the next meet or something?

It says he came accross a really cheap B18C1, thats why he got it. I recall he did want the B18C5/7 though...don't know where I got that from. Maybe Faan days...lol :)

heheh yea photochopy it plz :D or better yet, rip out the pages b :wink:

skoota
01-11-2003, 06:31 PM
hmmm... this is all too hard for me. Someone just go buy me a new engine and I'll b happy mmkay? :wink:

Reijiro
02-11-2003, 12:02 AM
[quote=Bumble B]

any1 know how muc hthe converions will cost from a
B16A2/3- USDM 1.6L DOHC VTEC
CIVIC COUPE '00 to one of the integra engines..! as quoted

speedracr
14-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Sorry to dig up an old post, but...

Bel: How have you been doing? Haven't seen you in a very very long time. How is the EG going?

As for why a B18C1 was chosen, the main reason was the car's age. It was a '00 Civic so I couldn't use the majority of import ITR motors at wreckers. The B18C1 that I used was a brand new motor, came complete on its own little Honda pallet. At the time of the swap, local ITR motors cost in the $8k+ range...

Had a B18C2 or B18C7 motor been used, no certificate was needed. However, since I used a C1 it did need an inspection.