PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on DC2R Engine Mounts

Zilli
15-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Ive just been told by my mechanic that my rear engine mount is busted.

Ive been doing some research on mounts, as i think now it's time to ugprade with a full aftermarket mount set as im going to be tracking and dragging the car more.

The car is a compromise, i drive about 10kms a week in it only if the weather is nice, and will track it either in drag or circuit form once every 2 months i'd say. So it does need to maintain some "normalness" about it on the street, so i dont want it shaking my teeth out.

I am getting them to put up with the abuse of tracking and dragging, so i am chasing better feel, and something that will last under these conditions, not just for the f&*k of spending money. However, it's got to be bearable on the street.

I'm not interested in filling them with inserts or polyeurathane...

So i'm after something better than OEM but bearable on the street.

Ive heard the Spoons and Mugen's are original style mounts with harder rubber in them

Ive heard the Innovatives and Hasport have a different design mount with harder rubber in it?

I'm interested in opinions on these different options guys... need help!

Cheers

EGB18CT
15-05-2008, 02:03 PM
i filled mine with 65A polyurethane mix (not the sikaflex mix shitty way of doing it) its a 2 part mix, its hard to mix as you have to try minimise the airbubbles in the mix but yer it did the job and hasnt cracked at all. Is say go for some nice hasport/avid/etc mounts in a low poly grade for daily if you dont track much and its mainly a streeter/daily.

barefootbonzai
15-05-2008, 02:03 PM
after market mounts are great. just check the ratings, cause if you get too hard your car will vibrate like no tomorrow.

Zilli
15-05-2008, 03:21 PM
like i said, i'm not interested in filling them with inserts or Eurethane.

Barefoot, got any specs? have you changed your mounts? any experience??

bennjamin
15-05-2008, 03:49 PM
if you wont use sikaflex/urethene etc....just get a REAR engine mount. No need for side mounts or front lower torque mounts.

Get a hasport or innovative rear mount and be happy. Wont cost too much , and takes the brunt of the "torque" applied to your engine and will sustain hard launching etc , the same as a full set will. Just wont vibrate your interior as bad lol

Zilli
15-05-2008, 08:14 PM
so would there be any adverse effect with just running one stiffer engine mount in the rear as opposed to getting the whole lot done?

i realise that the rear mount is the one that takes the most punishment, so would that one being harder, then put more strain on the rest of the OEM ones?

it does seem like the more reasonable thing to do since i dont want the crazy resonance that it sound like the whole set is going to give me

DNYALL
15-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I have hasport mounts in my EM1. I got the softest ones and they are awesome. even though they are the street level ones, u can still feel the difference in firmness and there is a noticable increase in vibration, especially on idle. Would recommend them for sure!!!!

Zilli
16-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Can you just give me an idea of what makes the awesome DNYALL? WHat does the car do differently now from what it did before?

How bad really is the vibration?

EGB18CT
16-05-2008, 08:19 AM
car will feel stiffer up the front end especially on acceleration, i believe wheel hop may also be reduced etc.. basically the engine movement due to torque will be less/minimal.

fatboyz39
16-05-2008, 08:52 AM
innovative are abit cheaper then hasport. Lowest grade they got is in 60shore which is like OEM rubber shore. You can buy em as steel replacement mounts or billet bling ones.

Zilli
16-05-2008, 09:14 AM
So 60 shore is like OEM, 85 is race from what ive read... so would a 70/75 be a good compromise you reckon?

If im gonna buy them i'll buy billets i reckon

rpm boy
16-05-2008, 09:26 AM
if you do alot of street duties try an engine torque dampner, you can use the stock engine mounts and it will still reduce engine movement considerably, basically the stiffer engine mounts and/or torque dampner reduces engine "play" getting power to the ground better (more efficienty)

fatboyz39
16-05-2008, 09:48 AM
So 60 shore is like OEM, 85 is race from what ive read... so would a 70/75 be a good compromise you reckon?

If im gonna buy them i'll buy billets i reckon

No if you want less vibration then go for 60shore. It'll still be "firmer" then stock mounts as its filled in completely unlike stock mounts with 'gaps' in them.

Yes billet mounts are nice, they can be had in billet black or poilshed finished.

Zilli
16-05-2008, 10:16 AM
hmmmm so this would essentially have the same effect as a stock mount with ES inserts, but a neater stronger solution with the casing also?

Or would it be stiffer than that?

BlitZ
16-05-2008, 10:43 AM
u get better response man..

I have a used solid filled one with 65A mix.. 65A is almost the same hardness as OEM rubber.. just that its now solid..

Will never break and will guarantee better response..

PM for the cheap mount as i no long have the car.

Also vouch for EGB18CT he assisted me in the getting all the products..

COOL urathane mounts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/civic168/DSCF1705.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/civic168/DSCF1704.jpg

FUGLY sikiflex
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/civic168/DSCF1540.jpg

Benson
16-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Just save up for the billet ones. Its a much better finish.. I would go for the 65a shore.

barefootbonzai
16-05-2008, 12:03 PM
yep 65 for street use for sure. vibration on a street car really sux!

xtercii
16-05-2008, 02:12 PM
seeing from your past posts/threads that you rarely drive your car, so I'd say just go for the sofest to medium solid mounts...
they give you vibration but you do get used to it and it's not that annoying especially if it's only your weekend/toy car...