PDA

View Full Version : 2 Amps

RtN
15-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey how would I connect 2 amps to my car? Do I just split the power cable @ the end or like run 2 separate power lines? or Just series it to the other amp? What is required? Capacitor? Thanks...

solitz
15-05-2008, 09:00 PM
split it at the end with a distrobution block so essentially at the front of ur car u will have the one power cable going into the block then it will split it into two seperare power connections

depends on how thick the cable you are using

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/prodimages/SPD510.jpg

then you will have the 2 individual ground connections to the chassis and then u can run then remote wire from the headunit from one amp and then piggyback it to the other amp, and dont forget your RCA cables.

a cap i think isnt nessessary, just upgrade your groud connections and you should be fine =)

euro_tr4sh
15-05-2008, 11:05 PM
dude, take it to a professional... from the sounds of things if you attempted it you'd be reaching for a fire extinguisher pretty soon after

mrpsi
16-05-2008, 01:33 AM
you wanna do it properly.... run two seperate cables!

also you need to consider running your ground back to the batterey as well!

xntrik
16-05-2008, 09:12 AM
lol.

do this wrong,
and you'll get a buzzing noise

euro_tr4sh
16-05-2008, 10:19 AM
mrpsi- are you serious?

micka
16-05-2008, 06:49 PM
If you want to do it properly then then run one appropriate gauge and fused cable from the battery to a fused distribution block (assuming you're planning on using one large cable from battery and 2 smaller cables to the amps). run appropriate gauge cable from distro block to each amp. Upgrade the factory ground to an appropriate gauge, and ground your amps to a bare piece of metal on the chassis.

Appropriate gauge cable will be dictated by the amp's current requirement (overkill is not a bad thing); fuses shall be selected by using a minimum value so as to avoid nuisance blows and at a maximum that they will protect the cable from excess current (fire hazard).

Exact values can be worked out easily once you have chosen your amps.

Remote turn on can be daisy chained between 2 amps without too many dramas... any more and you should use a relay.

AzKik-R
25-05-2008, 08:08 PM
if you put in a fuse less then 1 foot from the battery terminal, and then run some 4 gauge to the amp, and then a distribution block, (or even a volt-meter/fuse - comes with the 1000w install kit from supercheaps) and then earth to the same point, shared remote line, there will be no problems.
unless you are running both amps to one side of a dual voice coil.

teh_mechanic
25-05-2008, 08:39 PM
like everyone said,run 1 large fused power wire to a distribution block in the boot,that will split it into 2 wires coming from that,1 wire for each amp.u can just cut your remote turn on wire and solder 2 wires coming out from it,and you will need to run an rca cable down the car for each amp

AzKik-R
25-05-2008, 08:50 PM
like everyone said,run 1 large fused power wire to a distribution block in the boot,that will split it into 2 wires coming from that,1 wire for each amp.u can just cut your remote turn on wire and solder 2 wires coming out from it,and you will need to run an rca cable down the car for each amp

you can pick up rca splitters, and run one set of rca's
unless you have 1 amp for a sub, and 1 amp for 4 chanels in which case it's gonna depend on what your stereo is capable
I have a panasonic, has 3 set's of rca's 5.0v pre outs, and can turn off the on-board for the 4 chanels.
when i was running 3 subs in the car i would just split off the rca line, because my stereo has all the low/high pass filters

what are your stereo capabilities?
how many rca, and what are the 2 amps going to be powering?

OMG.JAI xD
25-05-2008, 09:22 PM
you wanna do it properly.... run two seperate cables!

also you need to consider running your ground back to the batterey as well!

dont run sound system ground back to the battery -.-"
no ground is ran back to the battery.
everything is "chassied" (if thats a word :/)

if you want to run it back to your battery run a 2nd battery.
ground that to the chassis and go ground your amps to that battery.
but even if you had a 2nd battery id still ground it to the chassis.
like what i did.
im running 4 amps with 2 T-way power cable split and a, 0g input-4 8g output, distribution block
all 4 have seperate ground.
though its all out of the car atm.
fibreglassing enclosure. figgured id take some mdf out to reduce weight. :/
not by much though -.-"

RtN
25-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for input guys! Might try this during UNI Break! So yeh basically the idea is one big fused wire from battery to boot, the distribution block to 2 smaller powered lines into amp. Then yeh have 1 pair RCA for mono, and 2 pairs for 4 channel amp. then thats it yeh. And Ground it just like another other amp.

OMG.JAI xD
27-05-2008, 09:46 PM
just remember not to ground 2 amps to one same spot.
its recommended you ground each amp a distance a way from each other. (not big lengths. probs around 30 cm min.)

=]

SuiJin
27-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Currently my setup if you want to follow it.
Running Zero Gauge Stinger Wire Through the Firewall along the left hand side of the car into a distribution block. Displayed as above, splits into two 4gauge. one going to my 2 channel to power the amp and one into my four channel to power the 4 channel going to my speakers. rca is running from the head unit through the center along the breaks into both amps. speaker wires are running along the right hand side around the whole car, this minimizes noise by spliting where you place all ur wiring. both amps are grounded at opposite ends, where the seat beat bolts are. enjoy.

euro_tr4sh
28-05-2008, 03:49 AM
just remember not to ground 2 amps to one same spot.
its recommended you ground each amp a distance a way from each other. (not big lengths. probs around 30 cm min.)

=]

sorry but once again, thats very wrong... its the complete opposite of what you should do, they need to be grounded to the same point, or you can create whats called a ground loop, which is another main cause of engine noise... unless you got one under each seat or ar opposite sides of the boot, then the best earth is as short as possible and the biggest possible size you can