PDA

View Full Version : Euro recall

yfin
12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Looks like a fairly minor issue but a recall nonetheless....

------------------------------------------------------
Honda Accord Euro (Campaign #5KA)
Date: 06/09/2004

Supplier: Honda Australia Pty Ltd

Category: Motor Vehicles

Product Info: Honda Accord Euro (Campaign #5KA). 2003 YM Accord Euro (MT), 2003 YM Accord Euro Luxury (MT), 2003 YM Accord Euro (AT), 2003 YM Accord Euro Luxury (AT), 2004 YM Accord euro (MT), 2004 YM accord Euro Luxury (MT),2004 YM Accord Euro (AT), 2004 YM Accord Euro Luxury (AT).

Defect details: A possible defect exists due to the possibility that the trunk harness may become damaged, causing an open circuit and either resulting in the loss of the license plate lamp, reversing lamps or tail lamp operation.

Consumer action: Contact your authorised Honda Dealer.

Make: Honda

Model: Accord Euro

Target Number: 11,379

Model Years From: 2003-2004

Consequences: A defect exists due to the possibility that the trunk harness may become damaged, causing an open circuit and either resulting in the loss of the license plate lamp, reversing lamps or tail lamp operation.

Campaign Number: #5KA

PERTH_EURO
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
there was also one for the tsx regaurding water in front lights, not sure if it affects oz delivered Euros tho? Time will tell

Type R Positive
12-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Not my problem!

Euro_Boy
13-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Hey all.

Im Deano from NSW.

I just purchased my black euro luxury about a month ago and its great. Having a few problems with the interior. The drivers side tint was pierced on the night of picking up the car.

The next day the cup holder jammed up. The next day there was a creaking noise from the front passenger side a pillar. Then the next week the cd player sh*t itself. My dealership offered to fix it all up but then the creaking noise and cup holder jammed up again when then fixed it and returned the car. Another dealer reckons its the glue used 2 affix the windscreen having bubbles in it. They think that Honda *may* do a recall. Mind you the dealer I bought it off thought it had something to do with the airbag cover and shoved foam inside it. Idiots.

Archangel
13-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I bought my Euro from Scotts as well.

I'll be needing to take it in for its 1000km service soon.

And will also have to sus out this crap now too!

VirIIx
13-09-2004, 04:55 PM
My car was sent over from Larke Hoskins, although Eastwood Honda and Scotts Honda is closer to me, particularly Scott's honda since it's down near where i work, i doubt it'd be taking it there, I don't really like Scott's that much and their egotistical attitude.

I've already done my 1000km service, and half way to my 10,000km service. So far no problems from the car, it's been great. I guess i'll take mine in to fix the problem when it gets to the next service. Off to Larskin's though, better service imo. More trusting too.

Euro_Boy
14-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I SECOND THAT!

THEY ARE F**KED.

I demanded a courtesy car and for them to pick up the car as I wasnt going to take time off work to deliver it. After I chucked up a big stink, they organised a colleague from their dealership who lives near my work 2 pick it up but they wanted to charge me $35 a day for the courtesy car. I told them to f**k themselves. The Service Manager also had the nerve to say that "... when u purchased your car form us, we werent heavily discounting accord euros" as if to insinuate becuase i got it cheaper that i am entitled to a s**t service. I have writted a 2 page complaint letter to the general manager and owner of scotts as well as honda head office.

im never going back there again. they just dont give a hoot.

EuroAccord13
14-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I'll see how long before they send me a letter informing me of this....

kanthan
14-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Where was this recall information taken from? I spoke to my local dealership and they are not aware of any recalls for the euros. He asked me fax the details for him to chase it up.

yfin
14-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Where was this recall information taken from? I spoke to my local dealership and they are not aware of any recalls for the euros. He asked me fax the details for him to chase it up.

The information came from the Federal Government

http://www.recalls.gov.au/

kanthan
14-09-2004, 04:48 PM
i just spoke to the dealership. The have confirmed they do not have any knowledge of any current recalls on the euros. Therefore do not know how to fix it or what parts are required to fix it. He thinks they might be a situation where Honda is obliged to advise the government if it is thinking about doing a recall. The actual recall might be sometime away til they find a solution to the problem and make sure all service deptments can handle the issue.

Has anyone successfully resolved the issue with the Honda dealership?

yfin
14-09-2004, 05:06 PM
i just spoke to the dealership. The have confirmed they do not have any knowledge of any current recalls on the euros. Therefore do not know how to fix it or what parts are required to fix it. He thinks they might be a situation where Honda is obliged to advise the government if it is thinking about doing a recall. The actual recall might be sometime away til they find a solution to the problem and make sure all service deptments can handle the issue.

Has anyone successfully resolved the issue with the Honda dealership?

I called my dealer as well - Gary Warren Smith in Oakleigh. They have received no instructions from Honda regarding a fix - but have heard "on the grapevine" of a government recall.

Just wait for a letter from Honda. This post is a "heads up" as to what is inevitably coming.

euro04
23-09-2004, 09:32 PM
I also noticed the recall after someone refered me to the recall page, and when the car was in (to have the radio replaced after it started making strange noises that it wasn't meant to) I asked the service centre people, and they new nothing about it at all!

I am planning on writing a somewhat lengthy letter to Honda AU asking how and why this situation came to be...If my taillights stop working all of a sudden because of some fault and someone runs into me, thats not a good thing!

Dealer is Trivett Classic, Parramatta (Sydney)

yfin
23-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Haha - maybe that is what happened to Perth Euro!

He got crunched from behind by a Mazda 626.

Anyway - welcome to the board.

Euro_Boy
24-09-2004, 06:07 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/22/1095651359573.html?from=moreStories&oneclick=true

It seems Euro owners are safe as no mention has been made specifically to the Euro.

Still from memory, this recall has to be a first for Honda? Right? I am going to get smashed at work if my aussie Ford and Holden loving workmates get a hold of this. I always give them grief whenever the two abovementioned sh*tty manufacturers put out a recall.

yfin
24-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Lots of cars get recalled and this is not the first for Honda.

Take a look at recalls.gov.au. Volkswagen Touareg, Mercedes S600 - both recalled in last 30 days.

Remember the recalls relate to safety issues. If the matter is not safety related there may not be a recall.

VirIIx
26-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I heard from one of my friends that an article was in the paper about a recall? so i'm not too sure, either way i'll take it in to get checked out next service, i don't hear or feel anything wrong for the moment :)

Reagan
07-10-2004, 11:25 PM
there was also one for the tsx regaurding water in front lights, not sure if it affects oz delivered Euros tho? Time will tell

thats happening to my car at the moment!!!!

Type R Positive
08-10-2004, 12:21 PM
just change to JDM headlights! it might cost you a bit.

fabcat
12-10-2004, 10:26 PM
from: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef1664b

"Go to NHTSA - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.c- - fm

and enter in the following campaign number:

04V429000"

This will show the recall on the Acura TSX which is the US version of the accord euro:

Sounds to me like something you can fix yourself if the dealer doesn't

"October 12, 2004 at 08:10 AM

NHTSA Campaign ID number :
04V429000

Make / Models : ***
Model/Build Years: ***

**** ACURA / TSX

Manufacturer : GENIE MANUFACTURING, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V429000
Recall Date : SEP 02, 2004

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TAIL LIGHTS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 40060

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER CARS, THE WIRE HARNESS LOCATED IN THE TRUNK HINGE AREA IS NOT ADEQUATELY PROTECTED AND OVER TIME COULD BE DAMAGED WHEN THE TRUNK IS OPENED AND CLOSED.

Consequence:
A DAMAGED HARNESS CAN CAUSE A BLOWN FUSE, A SHORT CIRCUIT AND IT CAN RESULT IN A LOSS OF LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS, BACK-UP LIGHTS AND TAIL LIGHT FUNCTION. LOSS OF A TAIL LIGHT COULD REDUCE VISIBILITY AND INCREASE THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HARNESS AND IF ANY DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE HARNESS WILL BE REPLACED. IF NO DAMAGE IS FOUND, DEALERS WILL INSTALL CORRUGATED PLASTIC TUBING OVER THE HARNESS TO PREVENT FUTURE DAMAGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. P45. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
"

qmjona
12-10-2004, 10:51 PM
If you have your car serviced by honda they will do this during your next service, whether you mention it or not.

At lease they should, mine did (before I know about the recall). but I still don't trust dealers so I would ask and insist anyway.
(these pr**ks really stuffed me around with delivery - but that's another story)

EuroAccord13
13-10-2004, 02:14 AM
I still haven't got a letter from Honda in regards to the recall from the Government website.. I rang the dealer up again and they told me that they have not heard of any recalls... mmmmm

MiSloVic
13-10-2004, 12:18 PM
certain batches of the JDM accord (accord euro in OZ) were recalled for water leakage in the headlights. In singapore, 1 jdm accord had gone up in flames, and apparently, the flame started from the headlights.

in all, there are a total of 3 recalls involving different batches of the jdm accord, namely the front lights, the auto transmission and the wiring harness at the trunk.

ABS121
20-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I took my Euro in for its 20k service today, and the service guy mentioned it, he said recall notices will be in the mail in the next few weeks and for me to ignore it as they would be making the fixes today.

All you Euro owners will be getting something in the mail about it soon.

aaronng
02-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I guess the recall is now "publicly" official.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11261651%255E2,00.html

euro77
07-11-2004, 06:30 PM
yeap, got the letter in the mail today.

falco
07-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Had water (condensation) in the passenger side headlight in my 03 Euro and the dealer replaced it.
It must be a difficult one because they took three goes to get it right. Apparently they busted some lug off the headlight fitting it.

PERTH_EURO
07-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Had water (condensation) in the passenger side headlight in my 03 Euro and the dealer replaced it.
It must be a difficult one because they took three goes to get it right. Apparently they busted some lug off the headlight fitting it.

yeah the black euro at PAS had condensation in his passengers side light

Thorn2004
07-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah I got the letter too, Gonna get it fixed up when I get everything else fixed !

EuroAccord13
08-11-2004, 03:34 PM
My letter finally arrived too... Will do it together with the 20 000Km service...

aaronng
08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Those who received the letters, what are your car's build dates? Mine is August 2004, haven't received any letter.

euro77
08-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Mine's Oct 2003

Stargazer
10-11-2004, 10:35 AM
April 2004 and I got the letter in the mail 2 days ago.

aaronng
10-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Ok, I read in Auto Industry Report:

AUTO INDUSTRY REPORT: Honda to recall over lights

September 8, 2004

Honda Motor Co. said it will recall 158,187 cars sold in Japan, the United States and 39 other countries to fix problems with the vehicles' lights.

There have been no reports of accidents related to the defects, Honda spokeswoman Yuriko Yabe said Tuesday.

Defective seals around the headlights on the vehicles' left side could allow water to seep in and keep them from turning on, Honda said in a statement.

Honda said it also would fix faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working.

Affected by the recall are 31,102 Accord and Accord Wagon models sold in Japan and produced between October 2002 and June 2004.

The remaining 127,085 cars, produced between June 2002 and June 2004, were models for export. They were affected only by the defective tape, the company said.

euro04
12-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Took mine back to a dealer after receiving the letter, and sent Honda an email as to try and get them to explain the discrepancy between the recall.gov.au note and them sending the letter:

Dear Mr X

Upon receipt of your email, I contacted our National Technical Department.
They advised that the first notification we published in regards to the trunk harness in the Honda Accord Euro was on the 2 November 2004 and a letter was sent to all of our customers who's vehicles were effected on the
3 November 2004.

Shortly prior to the noticed being published, we provided our dealership staff with the repair procedure required in order to carry out the recall.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide any insight on the article you sighted in early September as it was not generated by Honda Australia.

Yours sincerely

Honda Customer Relations

mailto:customerrelations@honda.com.au

Thoughts anyone? Their internal communication seems to be a bit slow......

PERTH_EURO
14-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok my car has gone in for 10000 service today.
Discussed the recall with them as my boot is full of custom install stereo.
The service huy says it has to come out in order for them to do the repair work.

When i go to pick up the car this arvo i will be asking him these questions but i was wondering what peeps thoughts are?

1) who should pay for doof to come out?
2) does it absolutley have to be done?
3) even if it does need to be done, should i bother.

AT the end of the day i believe that the problem is with opening and closing the boot may pull loom out (correct me if im wrong) now as i cant use my boot for anything, it rarely gets opened and closed.
I guess I cant be bothered and I feel the risk is not much.

thoughts?

blueeuro
14-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Risk is a very subjective call.

The fault, from what I remember, is that the rear loom might stop working.

I would worry that you may not become aware of it when it does stop working if it does stop. Then because you have no rear lights and are forced to break heavily one day in trafic you end up being rear ended. If I was the driver behind you the fact that you had no lights would piss me off, and I could imagine this would start causing all sorts of insurance grief. Particulary since you chose to ignore the recall.

I might be a bit of a nervous nelly, but if it were me I'd get it done. I'd also accept having to get the extra audio gear out of the way is my problem, as it's not the dealers fault you chose to put the extra stuff in the boot.

Just my opinion.

Paul

ABS121
14-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Id have to agree with Blueeuro on this, but im sure Honda has already washed its hands of it, if you chose not to have the work done, they would have noted it somewhere so if something does happen to you, it not there fault "they told you so"

And yeah it could be an issue if you were involved in an accident.

PERTH_EURO
14-02-2005, 04:17 PM
i agree totally hey... it is definatley a risk.
I have not taken the issue up with honda as of yet, but i will be when i pick the car up.
I do feel that it is Hondas responsabilty to pay for the de-install, as the car i brought new does not meet the standard and that is not my responsability.
(I will however be calling the fair trading office before i head back this arvo, as I may be wrong)

thanks for your input tho guys, as i said i agree but right at this time its a pain inda ass.

yfin
14-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd also accept having to get the extra audio gear out of the way is my problem, as it's not the dealers fault you chose to put the extra stuff in the boot.

The recall has nothing to do with PERTH_EURO - the car is defective. But for the recall - he would not have the additional expense of pulling out the stereo. Classic negligence case and consequential loss. I would be asking Honda to pay for this.

PERTH_EURO
14-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Just spoke to consumer affairs over here and according to them it is my responsabilty to remove the doof.
I am still going to persue with honda tho!!
C what they say when i pick the car up in an hrs time

PERTH_EURO
14-02-2005, 07:30 PM
UPDATE:
suprise suprise Honda wont have a bar of it.

yfin
14-02-2005, 07:34 PM
UPDATE:
suprise suprise Honda wont have a bar of it.

Did you speak to Honda or the dealer? Ring the customer service number for Aust. I think this is incredibly unfair - the car is defective - and they want you to be out of pocket. It should be Honda's problem not yours

ABS121
15-02-2005, 09:37 AM
They design and build cars so that access to anything that needs fixing is easy to access, if you modify your car and make it difficult to do so then technically you should bear the burden of removing the offending item.

Pain in the arse, but sorry to say not their problem, i feel for you.

fabcat
15-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Perhaps they just said you had to remove stuff to get out of fixing it. The issue is in the hinge area of the boot where the wiring loom is. Surely you don't have your doof where the hinge is. Perhaps you can do a fix yourself. Check my previous post in this thread which gives an idea of what they do to fix this:

"DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HARNESS AND IF ANY DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE HARNESS WILL BE REPLACED. IF NO DAMAGE IS FOUND, DEALERS WILL INSTALL CORRUGATED PLASTIC TUBING OVER THE HARNESS TO PREVENT FUTURE DAMAGE."

Maybe just get some corrugated plastic tubing and put it around the wiring harness in the hinge area.

By the way I don't have a euro so perhaps someone else can inspect their boot and see if this seems reasonable, and maybe post pictures.

PERTH_EURO
15-02-2005, 11:53 AM
service went well.

Car drives harder now, or so i imagine