PDA

View Full Version : euro lux or rx-8 ?!?

euromandeluxe
16-05-2008, 11:45 PM
hey guys,

i'm in dilemma. i'm going to upgrade my '98 accord, and up until now i've been deadset on:

early 2006 euro lux
6MT
perfect colour (arctic blue)
low km's (27000)
a few years of warranty outstanding.
a few little interior extras like the dc5r gearknob, extra brush chrome trim etc.
$28500 (RACV check pending)

however whilst browing on carsales tonight i stumbled across the mazda rx-8 and was a little bit surprised at the used prices it was going for. for example:

2003 RX-8 leather
6MT
silver
68000km
$30000

i'm in complete dilemma now. i thought i was deadset on the cl9 but this rx8 looks perfect. i'm after a sportier car i guess, but i'm not sure if a 5 year old car is really worth the same as a 2 year old. sure, the rx8 would have been 55k brand new vs. the euro's ~44k, but i cant decide which is better value for money. and another thing that worries me is the mazda's thirst. scary compared to the euro's economy.

any opinions? i really need help!

cheers

aaronng
16-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Both are different cars. Test both and see how you like them. I'd be basing my purchase on fuel consumption though, seeing how silly fuel prices have become.

panda[cRx]
17-05-2008, 12:19 AM
remember that prices for the current euro will (theoretically) go down a chunk when the new model comes out soon

euromandeluxe
17-05-2008, 12:40 AM
how about running costs ? fuel + servicing + parts. im thinking the euro would win hands down, but in terms of parts and servicing, does anyone know just how 'difficult' the rotary would be? financially speaking :P

i dont want to get an rx-8 to find im paying through my nose to keep it running, and i could imagine neither would anyone else

Euro08Jaz
17-05-2008, 01:02 AM
apparently the rotors need to be replaced every 10-15k also a friend of mine complains that it go through oil quickly. not to sure what he means by that.

damienm
17-05-2008, 03:28 AM
i usually spend 70-80 buks on petrol a week n my cousin who owns an rx8 drives just as much as i do spends 120-140 a week on petrol so when u look at it this way your actually gonna spend alot more than that 30grand price tag just to keep the rx8 on the road ;)

aaronng
17-05-2008, 03:32 AM
apparently the rotors need to be replaced every 10-15k also a friend of mine complains that it go through oil quickly. not to sure what he means by that.

No, the rotors are not changed that often. The old RX-7 rotary had to have the apex seals changed every 80 or 90k, but not for the RX-8 because it has side ports.

Rotaries consume oil, because they require lots of lubrication in the combustion chamber. So you have to check the level and top up if necessary with every fuel fillup.

tony1234
17-05-2008, 06:51 AM
I've heard that fuel consumption on the RX8 is a bit scary.

BiLL|z0r
17-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Also need to consider the space inside both cars. Although the RX8 is technically a 4 seater, I beleive you need to be 6yo or less to fit in the back. :) Also boot space required would be a thing for consideration.

Nepolian
17-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Go for the one you always wanted to get. I your case it'd be the Euro. Cause if you get the RX, you'll sit there and wished you'd bought the Euro :)

Unles you have really fallen for the RX8.

As for fuel, I believe that If you really like the car you should buy it. End of the day, its your right foot which really determines usage. If I can recall the RX8 has a reasonably fuel consumption when driven normal!

My2c.....GOOD LUCK!

tron07
17-05-2008, 09:35 AM
one is a 2006 car, another is a 2003.

If you dont mind the older car, higher maintenance cost, higher fuel consumption, go for the RX8.

If you need to ferry people all the time, family members, relatives, then RX8 cant do much. Cramp back seats, only seats 4 and a small boot compare to Euro.

Lot of people say RX8 got high fuel consumption, thats cause they rev up to 8-9k rpm all the time... drive slowly and shift gear around 4k, should be quite okay. But then at 4k its doesnt make much power :P

If I were to choose, I would choose a new euro.... or a new RX8 if budget allows it.

Crapdaz
17-05-2008, 09:37 AM
if you a looking to carry passengers then the euro.
RX8 is a 4seater but damn its squishy in the back.

In the end you'll be paying more for oil and fuel for the rx8 for better performance.

but stating by the requirements, you said you only wanted a sportier car so RX8 but my opinion price/fuel/maintenance on euro would be cheaper.

My 2c

Crapdaz
17-05-2008, 09:38 AM
stuff rx8, get a 350z.

yfin
17-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Used prices on the Euro are very high. They are an awesome car but you are paying a premium compared to many other 2nd hand cars. If you can wait until the end of the year wait for the prices to plummet with the new model.

Euro76
17-05-2008, 10:05 AM
RX8 consumes more fuel than Euro. You might be looking RX8's fuel economy figure close to V8s so it means you'll pay more for fuel. You might also consider about servicing cost, RX8 uses rotary engine so I am sure the service cost quite higher than Euro.

Yes in terms of performance RX8 is faster than Euro and it has the looks, but personally I am not into performance side but I am looking at comfortable ride with adequate performance. Euro have fulfilled my criteria and I've been very happy with Euro.

RX8 back seat very cramped compared to Euro and it can only sit strictly 2 person in the back instead of 3 in Euro.

I would choose Euro if I were you.

johnprocter
17-05-2008, 11:14 AM
take them both for a drive then think about fuel consumption and servicing costs etc..

phobolism
17-05-2008, 11:51 AM
rx8 has more potential for increase in power than euro if thats in your scope of what you want to do too

Mr_will
17-05-2008, 12:03 PM
rx8 has too many k's for an engine thats not known for reliability, IMO. id always go the lower K choice

Crapdaz
17-05-2008, 03:26 PM
buy them both.
daily driver + weekend driver.

Euro08Jaz
17-05-2008, 04:32 PM
the rx8 is a beautiful performance car with heaps of potential. High maintenance and higher fuel costs are generally associated with performance vehicles, so i guess if you buy a sports car your paying for one on the other hand the euro is more a luxury car with sporty characteristics, both are great cars but they are in different categories. i guess it comes down to what you want in a car.

[NAV]
17-05-2008, 04:37 PM
the rx8 is an awesome car... but the fuel consumption lets it down... some would say get a 350z.. but having 2 seats is a let down... so get the V35 skyline:)!!

racerwannabe
17-05-2008, 05:11 PM
if its a daily driver then stick with the euro. I mean really how often would you exploit the potential of an RX8? Also the euro is no slouch.

euromandeluxe
17-05-2008, 05:27 PM
theres clearly a lot of opinion on this one :P

i wouldn't look at a 350z or the v35 simply because of pricy-ness.

im after value for money and, yeah, sportiness, but i dont want to be throwing cash away on petrol and oil.

what i really need to do is take an rx8 for a spin, was supposed to today but was unable to go, but tomorrow for sure.

what do you think runnings costs would be for each car on a yearly basis? i know it depends on driving style, but i dont think i'll be traffic light dragging or anything like that :P
any idea? money is everything these days..

EKVTIR-T
17-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Just food for thought.These are around your price range

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12724
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12723

Bit cheaper 25k-http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12559

aaronng
17-05-2008, 05:38 PM
To all those who say that you can fit 3 in the rear of the Euro, go and try to sit behind yourself. :)

euromandeluxe
17-05-2008, 05:41 PM
woah, didnt consider importing.

maybe ill look into it.

even so though, im totally taken by the euro/rx8.

but thanks, EKVTIR-T!

tron07
18-05-2008, 11:34 AM
To all those who say that you can fit 3 in the rear of the Euro, go and try to sit behind yourself. :)

me and my friend both have euro and we take turn to drive when going long distance. I hate to be the one who sit in the rear middle seat (which I always end up on) and after 1 hour, the back start to hurts. it seats 2 best, lot of shoulder room, but 3 is still okay.

Long time back, we use to stuffs like 5-6 people back in the old mini cooper. :p

tron07
18-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Just food for thought.These are around your price range

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12724
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12723

Bit cheaper 25k-http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12559

skyline 350GT :thumbsup:

can consider also... but it lacks of 2 extra doors

tony1234
18-05-2008, 12:00 PM
The middle seat in the back of the Euro is only for shortasses and even then only for an hour or so max.

Euro76
18-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I can fit three people on the back although I can take two on the back most of the time. Three is okay if we travel short distance but I would not recommend three people for long travel.

aaronng
18-05-2008, 12:22 PM
me and my friend both have euro and we take turn to drive when going long distance. I hate to be the one who sit in the rear middle seat (which I always end up on) and after 1 hour, the back start to hurts. it seats 2 best, lot of shoulder room, but 3 is still okay.

Long time back, we use to stuffs like 5-6 people back in the old mini cooper. :p
I can't even sit behind myself in the Euro, but I can sit behind myself in the RX-8. That is my gauge of rear space. You can always stuff many people as long as you are small. We have stuffed 7 people in an old skool kancil (daihatsu mira) before. 0.66 L engine was having fun.

mr747
18-05-2008, 12:27 PM
the rx8 is just a sxc car go for that or get a 350z

euro77
18-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I've had an euro before, sold it for an rx-8, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Yes the rx-8 consumes more fule than euro, I average around 13L/100km (mostly city driving, some people gets average 12L/100km on mixed) if I take it easy, but with all rotary engine, you just can't resist the tempation to fang it to 9000rpm every now and then, which can set you back to around 15L/100km depending on how often you fang it. On the track, it will consume 30L/100km (which is where this car belongs to IMO) :) And it burns the oil for the reason as Aarong mentioned, so you need to check the oil level every now and then (not every day mind you, unless every day you keep it at 9000rpm!). I usually check mine every 2 weeks, and sometimes I don't even need to top up until 1-2 months as I only drive the car around 3 days in a week. Because I hardly use the car, I find the fuel & oil consumption dismissable.

Service cost is similar to the euro, not much more expensive.

Space inside is surprisingly adequate for 4 adults, unless the driver has long legs and so take up the rear leg room for the rear passenger behind the driver. Boot space is quite big as well (not as big as euro of course), but can fit in 1 full size suitcase and about 2 sports bag if you take the space saver spare wheel off.

Performance, down low in the rpm could do more torque, but once you hit past 3000rpm it just pulls. It's a really balanced car, even at stock form (I've tracked it at stock form before I start modding it). The oem tyres (bridgestone RE040) grips very well in the dry, but I personally think the wet grip is below my expectations (but you can always change the tyres). The DSC also is not intrusive at all, it only interferes if it thinks you're gonna lose it. I've managed to tail it a bit a few times on the track with DSC on and most of the time corrected it myself and DSC light is not on at all.

If you're not happy with the performance, turbo kits are available for around $10k and it will see you hit around 225kwrw depending on the pressure you set. In stock form, it does around 110kwrw, but I've seen people hit 140kwrw with catback, intake and lightened flywheels.

Some people does say just go get 350z and stuff rx-8, but if you're looking for a 4 seater (like I am), then stuff 350z and get rx-8 :P Also, I've test driven 350z before I decided on rx-8, and found that rx-8 is a more balanced car than 350z. Sure, the 350z is a more powerful car, but power is not everything :D And it doesn't have that jet like sound, nor does it rev past 9000rpm LOL

So yeah, just sharing my experience from someone in similar position as you. Hope I've made you decision a bit easier. Just ask any questions if you would like to know more both good and bad things about rx-8.

Or, look at getting a Skyline V35 (I know someone who sells it, PM me if you want to know, I don't think I can put the link on here as it's not for sale thread), this is an import and it's basically a 4 seater 350z (same engine as 350z)

Euro08Jaz
18-05-2008, 05:44 PM
well if you want a sporty car and not pay as high maintenance and better consumption and serviceability i think the the Intergra type s is a great option, back when i was looking for a car it was integra type s, 350z, rx8. but in the end it was insurance that killed me so i went for the euro, an all round compromise

aaronng
18-05-2008, 06:02 PM
The Type S has nothing on the 350Z and rx-8 though....

johnprocter
18-05-2008, 06:39 PM
would a DC5R with decent headers, intake and exhaust compete with a RX8?

Bo0o0ost
18-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I was in the same dilema before i picked up my Euro,
Fuel consumption was extremely unappealing from the RX8 and so was value for money
I prefer the comfort and reliability of my euro not to mention all of the features available for it over an RX8 anyday.
But in the perfect world i would have chose the RX8 just because its RWD :P

jaywoo
19-05-2008, 06:17 PM
im in the same situation as you are - but i think the digital speedo on the rx8 really turns me off

euro77
19-05-2008, 09:53 PM
im in the same situation as you are - but i think the digital speedo on the rx8 really turns me off

just a matter of personal preference, I actually find the digital speedo very easy to read, and you need that on our roads full of speed camera.

euro77
19-05-2008, 09:58 PM
would a DC5R with decent headers, intake and exhaust compete with a RX8?

not sure, just compare track times, for example, at winton, a fully stock rx-8 on street tyres can do around 1:48 - 1:49 driven by an experienced driver.

bentusi123
21-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Accord Euro is different with RX8.
euro is much like family car, big space and much economic.
RX8 maybe have cool look, but it is still a sport car, even it has 4 doors.
also, RX8 using too much fual.
for Accord euro, u dont need rebuild the engine,but RX8 gonna rebuild the engine at last. in japan it may not cost u much, but in here, it gonna cost u alot.

aaronng
21-05-2008, 09:08 AM
You don't need to rebuild the RX-8's engine It uses side ports, not peripheral ports like the RX-7. So the apex seal doesn't need to be changed as often.

typ69r
26-05-2008, 06:04 PM
euro for reliability and economy