PDA

View Full Version : Brake noise :S

wolf
12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi i have an eg civic and for a while now ive had a really ban noise comming from the front left wheel, it clunks pretty loudly when im braking when the disc goes round a full rotation, i changes the pads and the rotors because the rotor was looking like it was starting to warp, so im really hopeing to find an answere befor this one goes bad too could end up really expencive. Yeh any idea or experiance in this would be appreciated

wynode
12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
So has the sounds gone away after changing the disks/padS :?:

EG_2_TEG
13-09-2004, 12:50 AM
i've got an intermittent sound with my front brakes
its so annoying. happened after i did a bit of motorkhana

checked my rotors, their still flat. and the pads are only 4 or so months old
i think i might have boiled my fluid on the day.
but yeh, will have it checked out when i get my car serviced next month

SPEEDCORE
13-09-2004, 09:32 AM
So has the sounds gone away after changing the disks/padS :?:

Exactly...... are you expierencing any of the sounds/clunks that you where before?

wolf
13-09-2004, 04:40 PM
yeah i changed the rotors and the pads because of the noise and its still there, it started when i crashed my car doing a handy round a corner in the rain smashed my font wheel reall bad that the rotor shattered and the mag had all 4 bolts attached to the car yeah i could pull the wheel off arround it lol look pretty bad actually i shouldnt laugh but yeah lower control arm, discs, pads and bearings were all dont on it and then the noise started. My mechanic and my dad are both deaf because they cant hear n e noises when it comes to cars but the bad thing is i tried ignoring the noise like my dad said BUt when i did another noise started comming from my engine and i didnt know what toi think i thought it was my wheel... a new engine later i was really pissed off so now i refuse to just put up with noises (btw i will never go back to that mechanic because 3 weeks after my service i had no oil left in my car plus he put AT fluid in the gearbox so i think hes rat shit)

SPEEDCORE
13-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Hmmmmm the plot thickens....... now that you mentioned a force that hard to shatter a rotor and all the other mess you got into... did anyone bother to check the driveshaft on that side of the car?

You mention that the engine started to produce a noise too within the following weeks also...... is it possible it is actually from your transmission and not the engine dude??

How about a loose shock assembly... ie. not bolted properly to the tower so you are getting movement under brakes and hearing "clunking"...

Just a few thoughts.

wolf
13-09-2004, 07:37 PM
umm well i had both cv shafts rebuilt from honda so i expect the shafts to be in good nick, also the engine was from the mechaninc not tightening up the thing that lets the oil out under the engine and all the oil ran out and the engine fused up befor i knew what happened i had smoke out my bonnet and a long walk ahead of me. Umm would the suspension make a noise like that? only at certain points in the wheels rotation tho thats why i have no idea wat it would be, it shoulda been the bloody rota! but noooo cars can never be easy can they

ECU-MAN
13-09-2004, 08:37 PM
yeah could be loose suspention parts, or gearbox, even though the gearbox is unlikely it is posible in they type of accident you described. there would of been alot of side energy tranferred to the gearbox housing. is the noise speen related?

wolf
14-09-2004, 04:37 PM
umm the noise is only hearable when comming to a stop at high speeds i cant hear n e thing... well then again i have a 93 breeze so i cant really get to high speeds lol, but seriously the noise is loudest when comming to a stop but if i going fast enough it seems the rotation part where it usually makes the noise is going to fast past it. I dont see how it could be suspension when its at a certain point of the rotation :S but then again im not real smart with cars :(

mytoycivic
14-09-2004, 06:17 PM
yeh it seems you are in a bit of a pickle...have you taken it to another mech to have a look at the car? did you get the same mech to do your brakes as the one who didnt tighten up the bolt on the oil sump??? maybe he has done something dodgey there as well...
take it to another person to look at if you havent already

BTW why were you doing a handy round a corner in the wet!?
sorry its off topic (sorta) but damn!!!

wolf
14-09-2004, 07:10 PM
diff mech did the brakes and he said the pad wasnt on properly and that the clip for it wasnt on properly, i notice that its breaking alot better since hes done it umm my dad has recently spoken to him and told him that the noise is still there and the first thing he said is that it could have been the gearbox whixh is something i really didnt want to hear :( and the reason i did a handy in the rain is cause my mate has a sprinter and he does drifting all the time and i was out driving with him one night and he taught me how to do slides round corners so i practiced in the dry wether and like could o them into driveways and scare the shit out of the passenger too but in the rain it slid and didnt stop and it was a huuuuge street as well the back wheel hit a street sign and swung the front arround real fast that it got wipped out on the gutter so yeah... NEVER AGAIN

Rufes1
14-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, I did a very similar thing and this clunk noise sounds like it could be a shot radius rod bushing, or possibly another bushing. Are you 100% sure you didnt bend your crossmember? Because when I did mine i broke the rim, but was still driveable on the rim, and doesnt sound as bad as yours... But I had to replace the main crossmember, lower and upper control arms, upper control arm anchoring and radius rod. And the front most crossmember is still bent very minor, enough to get away with.

Id put the car up and get out the measuring tape and measure everything up make sure its all even.

And check the bushings. The CLUNK noise sounds very much like a bushing.

wolf
14-09-2004, 07:59 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! umm i replaced the lower control arm and the discs and the pads. Shithouse! i had the accident like a year ago now and its still costing me monies to fix grrrrrr dont you just wish sometimes you could just go back in time and say to yourself dont be a dick!

ECU-MAN
14-09-2004, 09:11 PM
you really need to take the car to a good mechanic, we could spam the forum all day and night with suggestions of things you dont want to hear. :)

wolf
15-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Will do Rufes well thanks everyone for the help im getting a mechanic to look at the gearbox on saturday basically from all the info i got here if i checked everything you all said out i SHOULD be able to find the answere, thanks all