PDA

View Full Version : catcon/resonator

Shimian
18-05-2008, 05:28 PM
ill be installing an aftermarket muffler soon and would like to know what good brands/models catcons/resonators are out there. Im planning on upgrading my pipe size as stock is like 1.6" to a 2.25". Been reading up on the magnaflow cat which is getting thumbs up reviews. Or go for Xforce which might do the job? Anyone used them before?

This is for a FD2.
Any help would be appreciated.

Limbo
18-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Cats - magnaflow is better than the x-force ones. I had both and the xforce one broke. But then could have been a bad batch. From what i heard there have been alot of x-force cats breaking at one stage.
x-force has lower quality control from my point of view

reasonators - haven't really heard anything bad from any of them

all depends on budget & what you wanna achieve, total performance or mild performance with low noise or a mix of both

Shimian
18-05-2008, 09:12 PM
im looking to just up the size of my piping. As long as its better than stock and to reduce backpressure. Im not going to turbo my car. Magnaflow seems to be good and affordable. So maybe go for that? In terms of pipes, just go for stainless steel mandrel bend? Sorry, very noob to this as this is my first time upgrading an exhaust system.

So will this set up be ok?

Magnaflow Cat (2.25") -> Mandrel Bend pipes -> Magnaflow stainless steel resonator -> Mandrel Bend pipes -> Remus Muffler (what im getting) ???

Limbo
19-05-2008, 05:16 PM
how much you looking at spending first?

Mandrel bends are always good. FD2 = 1.8 or 2ltr? ALso auto or manual?

Stainless steel is good in that it doesn't rust. It does have an annoying noise as they usually use very thin stainless. Its also more expensive.

Mild steel is cheaper and is slightly better on noise. It is cheaper, but can rust if not painted properly.

Again my question to you is what are you trying to achieve from your car?
Is it a racer/ricer/sleeper?

Shimian
19-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Driving FD2A (2.0L Auto). I want to reduce or elimate back pressure. Stock is 1.6". Been doing plenty of reading and all to most states for NA turbo cars, 2.25" is the way to go. Sound wise, just want low bassy sound which the remus muffler should give.
Im not sure if its worth spending money on a Hi Flow Cat. But if i need to upgrade pipe size, i would assume i need to change this as the pipe is too small to weld a 2.25". Or could it be done to stock Cat?
What i will be doing is installing the muffler and drive it for a week. If i find it too loud or feel low end loss, then i consider upgrading CAT, PIPES and RESONATOR. Just not sure what brand to get. I dont want to get crap but not spend big. So Magnaflow seems to be the mid ranger. Unless theres others?

trism
19-05-2008, 10:16 PM
umm, why do you want to eliminate back pressure? back pressure is what makes your exhaust work

without it, you will LOSE power

Shimian
19-05-2008, 11:16 PM
i thought backpressure was no good for performance? Doesnt it restrict the airflow? Maybe im reading things wrongly?

trism
19-05-2008, 11:47 PM
an N/A motor requires some backpressure. without it, you will lose low end torque.

backpressure essentially sucks the exhaust gases from the combustion chamber.

Shimian
20-05-2008, 12:05 AM
ahh ok..thanks for the info. So for NA cars, 2.25" is a good size for a 2.0L engine? Or go 2.5"?

trism
20-05-2008, 12:24 AM
2,25 is plenty imo

Limbo
20-05-2008, 03:28 PM
based on what you said just get a cat back.
On an Auto your going to need the low end torque as your auto is not a revver, especially as a daily driver.

Remus muffers aren't cheap, but that's your choice. They are very good mufflers though.

I'd just get a nice muffler design you like and get a cat back. Press bend or mandrel are not gonna make much difference on your car. SO save your money and get a press ben.

The other way to go is get a branded catback, which should just bolt on.

If its too noisy you can add another reasontor welded on

Shimian
20-05-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks for the response.

I want to get a catback but unsure what brand to get. As mentioned, magnaflow seems to be a decent brand. Wouldnt i need to go custom as theres only one brand that will fit directly (fujitsubo) and you cant just buy the catback part without the rear muffler.
Any suggestions on a decent-good catback system without rear muffler? Not sure if u can just buy that part.