PDA

View Full Version : Euro pulling to right on flat rd

mchngun
18-05-2008, 08:42 PM
After checking out a euro today i noticed that it was pulling to the right on a flat level road. Is this a big issue?

bennjamin
18-05-2008, 08:45 PM
new or used ? If new , thats fair enough. New cars have the TOE adjusted dead straight (0) from factory and on a normal road that is slightly concaved ~ will pull slightly to one side. It needs a "road" alignment.

If its a used car , chances are it just needs an alignment anyway. Bumps + potholes and everyday driving will put your toe out of whack.

aaronng
18-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Either caused by alignment out of whack (rear alignment probably, since front toe going out of whack won't matter much unless it goes toe out by a big amount). Could also be front camber being slightly out. Otherwise, I would chalk it up to worn tyres.

Crapdaz
18-05-2008, 09:40 PM
SORRY TO HIJACK,
my steering atm is slightly turned towards the right to go straight, which would be the major factor affecting this.
Rear Toe, Rear Camber, Front Toe, Front Camber or Uneven Suspension Height (doubt a couple of mm would make so much of a difference)?
Also the camber on the road would play a major factor to this also?

ATM i think its the toe on the front affecting it, got it aligned 2 weeks ago but was buckled within a couple of days.
Thanks guys.

power_of_dreams
18-05-2008, 09:51 PM
check tyre pressure also

Crapdaz
18-05-2008, 09:52 PM
nah tyre pressure is fine.
pump it regularly.

aaronng
18-05-2008, 10:05 PM
SORRY TO HIJACK,
my steering atm is slightly turned towards the right to go straight, which would be the major factor affecting this.
Rear Toe, Rear Camber, Front Toe, Front Camber or Uneven Suspension Height (doubt a couple of mm would make so much of a difference)?
Also the camber on the road would play a major factor to this also?

ATM i think its the toe on the front affecting it, got it aligned 2 weeks ago but was buckled within a couple of days.
Thanks guys.

Is your car lowered? If you let the wheel go, does the car drive straight or does it pull to the side? If it is driving straight and your car is lowered, then it is probably because the tyre shop has adjusted your front toe such that the camber is also perfectly in spec. Without a front camber kit, the front camber will vary with toe. So to get both toe and camber in perfect spec, they sometimes put in front toe biased to the side, like -2mm for the left toe and +2mm for the right toe, giving it 0mm total toe as per spec but your steering wheel ends up pointing to the right.

Crapdaz
18-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Car is lowered, i need to hold the steering to control it to go straight otherwise it pulls towards the left.

aaronng
18-05-2008, 10:59 PM
If you have the rear camber kit, get an alignment done. Here are my target settings. Has slightly twitchy steering response, but I purposely set it up that way in the front. I don't have a front camber kit, otherwise I would be running some negative camber up front.

Front:
Toe: 1.2mm total toe out.
Camber: 0 deg

Rear: Toe: 2.0mm total toe in
Camber: -1 degree each side.

I used to have to hold the steering wheel to stop the car from pulling to the right on its own. Got very tiring on the freeway and would end up with numb hands. Back then, I had at the rear, -2.8 camber on one corner and -3.5 on the other. And some weird rear toe as well.