PDA

View Full Version : Reusing b16a parts for B18CR conversion!

VT1-R
19-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Yo ppl..

I am thinking of a B18cR conversion.. I am not getting an LSD Type R gearbox.. coz i feel that b16a gearbox can still handle the 200 rampaging horses....

Anyway..

The motor package is complete other than the gearbox..So what parts in the b16a EK4 can i reuse for the Type R conversion( I mean obviously similar parts)so I dun have to buy these extra parts so save on the package cost..

Package cost $3.8k with low kms.. without gearbox.. Other than that, everything else should be inside according to a fren of mine.. I am doing conversion together with a mechanic.. So he knows his stuff but i have to help to get the required stuff for him to do with mi..

So please with ur knowledge, list some parts that i can use from my B16a EK4 for the B18CR conversion... Thanks in advance

BlitZ
19-05-2008, 08:14 PM
u can reuse everyitng...

the motors are the same... jsut the block is slightly taller so u might need new headers.. apart from that everything is reused..

Encor3
19-05-2008, 11:19 PM
u can reuse everyitng...

the motors are the same... jsut the block is slightly taller so u might need new headers.. apart from that everything is reused..

the motors aren't the same, both the block and the head are different.

The block is 200cc larger and the head is ported and has different valvs and cams. I think you mean the design of the engine is the same.??

You dont need new headers for it. Any B-series will work on the engine

All the add ons are the same afaik (ac +ps) but theres not much point as if you bought it in a package might aswell use the ac+ps anyway :cool:

vinnY
20-05-2008, 03:51 AM
i'm pretty sure blitz was talking about mounts and wiring, blitz knows his stuff :thumbsup:

in any case you can reuse the wiring harness, gearbox bolts on, reuse your old clutch if you have to, might have to reuse your b16 passenger side top engine mount and new headers if you have any thats made specifically for the b16 or the stock b16 headers

while you're at it though i'd look into getting a new clutch/flywheel(unless you recently did yours and can reuse it) and probably changing the timing belt and water pump while you're at it
saves you the trouble of doing it later while its in the car

no dude, b series headers will bolt up but clearing the sump or not is another issue

Encor3
20-05-2008, 09:35 AM
no dude, b series headers will bolt up but clearing the sump or not is another issue

does that mean a b16 headers wont fit a b18? which headers wont clear because I've had b16 headers fit on b18 without issues.

vinnY
20-05-2008, 09:40 AM
b18 headers will fit the b16 too, just hang a little lower
headers made and listed specifically for the b16 ONLY will not clear the b18's sump
the extra couple mm height on the block(7mm i believe?) seems to make all the difference

fatboyz39
20-05-2008, 01:12 PM
i'm pretty sure blitz was talking about mounts and wiring, blitz knows his stuff :thumbsup:

in any case you can reuse the wiring harness, gearbox bolts on, reuse your old clutch if you have to, might have to reuse your b16 passenger side top engine mount and new headers if you have any thats made specifically for the b16 or the stock b16 headers

while you're at it though i'd look into getting a new clutch/flywheel(unless you recently did yours and can reuse it) and probably changing the timing belt and water pump while you're at it
saves you the trouble of doing it later while its in the car

:thumbsup:

BlitZ
20-05-2008, 02:29 PM
the motors aren't the same, both the block and the head are different.

The block is 200cc larger and the head is ported and has different valvs and cams. I think you mean the design of the engine is the same.??

All the add ons are the same afaik (ac +ps) but theres not much point as if you bought it in a package might aswell use the ac+ps anyway :cool:

Ofcourse the motors are not the same.... we are talking about what is interchangable.

the head is the same casting so everything is interchangle.
Evetyhign on external block will bolt accross the 2 motors with the b18 being taller..

BlitZ
20-05-2008, 02:32 PM
does that mean a b16 headers wont fit a b18? which headers wont clear because I've had b16 headers fit on b18 without issues.

Cause you got duped when u bought them.. thats why they proabably hung too low...

Its like me giving u EG springs for your EK.. they will fit, but wont designed for it..

In addition... for power, I would expect the b18c7 to have a larger secondary than a b16a with :

std B18c7 (2.5 max)
std B16a (2.25 max)

Which one that you got? ahahh

Limbo
20-05-2008, 02:44 PM
some b16 headers don't fit as they touch the b18 block.
But they are only specificially for the b16s. Only a few. Most manufacturers build them so they can be interchangable

VT1-R
20-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I got b16a Xforce headers? U think it will fit? I have new clutch and flywheel done 5k ago.. So i jus probably change water pump n timing belt.. Other than tat should be fine right?

Also, i can use my existing harness? I dunno wat is it though

EG30
20-05-2008, 05:34 PM
you'll need B18c headers ie factory or aftermarket ones to fit the B18CR as the B18C block is taller. Just flock off the leftover xforce header on the forum. Even if xforce's design clears the sump, it wont be ideal for a B18CR in terms of flow anyway.

on top of water pump+tensioner and timing belt and while everything is out and apart; it would be wise to do the cam seals, front seal, rear main seal, all drive belts, and valve stem seals if you are willing to spend another few hundred dollars.

EK would be 0bd2, mostly likely Obd2a but late EK's are Obd2b ( 98 on?). That ITR engine is a 99 so it would be obd2b. If it differs from your car's version and you don't want to modify the wiring/re-pin the plug; may be you could use your EK4 orig dizzy.

BlitZ
20-05-2008, 09:27 PM
EK would be 0bd2, mostly likely Obd2a but late EK's are Obd2b ( 98 on?). That ITR engine is a 99 so it would be obd2b. If it differs from your car's version and you don't want to modify the wiring/re-pin the plug; may be you could use your EK4 orig dizzy.

99-00 Dc2r are obd2a...
96-00 ek1 are obd2a
96-98 ek4 are obd2a
99-00 em1 are obd2b
99-00 ek9 are obd2b (?)

vinnY
20-05-2008, 09:53 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure all facelift ek's were obd2b
and the dc2r's are definitely obd2a.. got one running off my ek4 harness :)

BlitZ
21-05-2008, 10:04 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure all facelift ek's were obd2b
and the dc2r's are definitely obd2a.. got one running off my ek4 harness :)

not all facelifts ek's are obd2b.... nick's 99 gli ek was obd2a

vinnY
21-05-2008, 10:18 AM
perhaps the sedans were different? or it could have just been the b series facelifts were obd2b
nevermind me :)

ot.. i found the exhaust bracket blitz ;) whacking it on this weekend