PDA

View Full Version : Gear box

JINRAI
13-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

Just wonderin if you accidently crunch your gears (I'm sure everyone has done it accidently at least once! :) ) What do you do? Does it really damage the 'mechanism'? Slight crunches are ok because of the oil? Anyone got any insight to this? Appreciate it...hehe

SPEEDCORE
13-09-2004, 09:54 AM
You need a rebuild I'm afraid!!! :(

Just kidding mate...... it really depends. If your friends are continually refering to you as Capt. Crunch ;) , then you could eventually see yourself having problems.

I personally think that the "worst damage" that can be sustained by crunching gears is done in high rpm operation. If you worried about floaty bits.... change your tranny fluid. That and the magnet at the bottom of the G'box should be enough to take care of bits of metal.

ECU-MAN
13-09-2004, 12:11 PM
if you cant find em, grind em !!

crunching gears just thrashes the syncro dog teeth and the syncro hub, due to the fact that the input shaft is turning at a different speed to the output shaft of the gearbox, since you didnt press the clutch all the way in, or got the timming wrong, the syncro mechanism cant alter the speed of the input shaft coz its still being driven by the crank and those dog teeth just grind, the syncro ring is made of brass and is prone to wearing quicker than the syncro hub,
no cruch is a good crunch But I guess we all do it from time to time. just be nice to your gearbox as Speedcore ist wrong in his above post.