PDA

View Full Version : Amp stopped working & wont turn on

g_kn
20-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey guys,
I tested my amp with another old amp and simply D/C the battery cable, ground & remote.

The amp switched on red and later on switched off by itself. I then re connected back my previous amp and connected the grounding cable first, remote cable & battery and now my amp wont switch on :(

alltogether ive tryd 3 different amps and none of them seem to work:eek:

Ive checked and pulled out the fuses in the compartment beneath the steering wheel and they all seem to be fine, ive also looked at that big amp fuse located in the engine bay and thats fine as well.

Grounding cable is fine and mounted properly as well as the remote wire.

EuroDude
20-05-2008, 03:44 PM
This happened to me to, it turned out to be a bad ground connection to the chassis.

Even though the ground "looked" ok, it wasnt making proper contact (possibly due to oxidization). So remove the ground and shave the surface of the chassis and connector, and re-attach it.

g_kn
20-05-2008, 04:01 PM
This happened to me to, it turned out to be a bad ground connection to the chassis.

Even though the ground "looked" ok, it wasnt making proper contact (possibly due to oxidization). So remove the ground and shave the surface of the chassis and connector, and re-attach it.

Going to try that now

g_kn
20-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Going to try that now

nopz, didnt work

aaronng
20-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Are you powering your amp straight from the battery? Any fuses or relays there? Or through the exisiting wiring from your stock headunit?

EuroDude
20-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Are you sure the Remote-In is providing enough power?

Test the Remote-In wire with a Multimeter, ensure its 12v

g_kn
20-05-2008, 06:38 PM
gonna check tomorrow, got no voltmeter lol
will get back to you

euro_tr4sh
21-05-2008, 02:57 AM
the amps either fried or your remotes come unstuck somewhere along the line... and going from the fact you'v tried a few diff amps id say its a problem with the remote... the remote on the amps is very sensative in some cases, iv worked on amps that would turn on if i was holding the remote wire in one hand and touched the terminal with the other haha... pull your head unit out and check the wite hasnt come undone behind there, if thats not the case just work your way down the line from there back to the amp

g_kn
21-05-2008, 11:18 AM
amp turns on Green,
no sound though , audio cable plugged in still no sound

ACTI0NMAN-1
21-05-2008, 11:20 AM
i would also think its the remote wire.

g_kn
21-05-2008, 11:39 AM
i would also think its the remote wire.

tryd remote wire i d/c it and the amp light would go Red
i connected it back on and it stays back to normal Green

still no sound though

baeshin
21-05-2008, 12:35 PM
try the amp on someone elses deck... n see if it works

g_kn
21-05-2008, 01:04 PM
going to try that later,

Amp has Green light
still no sound

rice_civic
21-05-2008, 05:08 PM
check t see if the amp is out putting any signal. if you have a speaker laying around somewhere get some wire and hook it up. then you will know if the problem is before or after the amp. if you have a signal coming out you know you have a bad connection between the amp and the sub. if there is no sound it will be the rca cables.

AzKik-R
25-05-2008, 07:49 PM
if you wanna check that it is or isn't the remote line, you can just connect the positive direct to the remote line :P
i would put my money on the earthing line, try connect it to somewhere else, like that little bolt that sticks out in the back on the left, take the bolt out, and clip your earth under there.
I just installed an amp, and i earthed it at a different location, actually tried to connect it to the rear strut, and had to move it bolt direct onto the chassis.

EuroDude
30-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Try plugging an iPod or something into the Amp's RCA input, perhaps your headunit has blown a fuse or the RCA's have come loose