PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking from Crank pulley

infusionv2
20-05-2008, 06:23 PM
hey guys over the last few days a bad leak has formed on the crank pulley seal on my honda.

it soo bad i can nearly see oil running down the sump from behind the pulley.

has anyone else encountered this problem?

Cheers.

ORLANDO
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi

My Honda Accord Euro seems to have the same problem, I noticed a drip of oil on the floor (drivers side) and the sump and suspension is wet, I checked the sump plug and oil filter and they are dry. So it seems to be from the crank pulley. I only have 38,000Ks Has anyone else encountered this?

infusionv2
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
hey mate. i got this problem fixed.. it cost about 200-300 AUD i forget now and it only had 60,000

Shame i dont have the car anymore (written off. stuck in middle of 4 car pileup)

wynode
04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Sure it isn't say a leaking cam seal dripping from higher up? Best to make sure before taking off your crank pulley.

ORLANDO
09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
took it to Honda today and they were not sure where it is coming from so they cleaned it all up and said come back in when i see another drip so they can trace it.

Crapdaz
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
took it to Honda today and they were not sure where it is coming from so they cleaned it all up and said come back in when i see another drip so they can trace it.
talk about fobbing off the problem. :thumbdwn:

wynode
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
talk about fobbing off the problem. :thumbdwn:
Not really.

At least now they will be able to tell exactly where it is coming from. Hopefully they didn't charge the OP.

aaronng
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Sure it isn't say a leaking cam seal dripping from higher up? Best to make sure before taking off your crank pulley.

K series doesn't have an exposed cam seal on the rocker cover. It's easy to check the crank pulley though since the section between the crank pulley and the rocker cover should be dry if the leak came from the crank seal.

ORLANDO
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
well about a week ago Honda thought they found the problem and resealed the oil sump which involved a fair bit of work and a few days later the sump is all wet again..........so obviously they got it wrong.........now I have to bring it back again tomorrow.....unbelievable

tony1234
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
well about a week ago Honda thought they found the problem and resealed the oil sump which involved a fair bit of work and a few days later the sump is all wet again..........so obviously they got it wrong.........now I have to bring it back again tomorrow.....unbelievable
Your car is still under warranty though isn't it?

aaronng
06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Shouldn't be the sump. The production guys in Japan are pretty good with something as simple as that. I wonder if there is a leak from the timing chain section. The chain is oil-lubed and can throw oil around.

ORLANDO
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
well the car was there all day today (yes under warranty) and the last I heard today is that they think it could be coming from the water pump or air con compressor area, any1 ever heard of this?
I will be getting an update in the morning since it is still sitting on the hoist overnight.

ORLANDO
08-12-2009, 01:48 PM
latest is that its a porous engine block...........unbelievable! right next to the timing cover, still to be confirmed by Honda Aust

tony1234
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
latest is that its a porous engine block...........unbelievable! right next to the timing cover, still to be confirmed by Honda Aust
Lucky you have warranty.

ORLANDO
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Lucky you have warranty.

true that.....also I have been doin some research and turns out that its not that rare in Honda alum engines, refer links

http://www.import-car.com/Article/47976/Tech_Tip_L.aspx

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/11250-hair-line-fracture-engine-block.html

ORLANDO
09-12-2009, 11:07 AM
new engine block is coming in from Japan................what a nightmare!!!

tony1234
09-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmmmm bad news.But again you are lucky this happened while you are still covered by warranty.

lithium
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM

well on the plus side you get a 0km engine again for free :)
porous engine block, damn....never heard that one before
hope it goes well

ORLANDO
09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Guys at Honda said the euro is the best seller and he has never seen one before in 20yrs of work...........thats y there isnt even any blocks in Australia, they never needed them. It leaks from behind the water pump area, next to the timing cover.