PDA

View Full Version : Fitting on rims...touching brake caliper

xenonkuraz
20-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Is there any sort of wheel spacer I could buy to bring the wheel out a bit so the rims don't scrape against the calipers?

thanks.

jdm_kid
20-05-2008, 07:13 PM
yes there is. but they are illegal.

Riviera
20-05-2008, 07:28 PM
its silly aye theyre all over ebay in the states i dont see why it should be illegal

u can also get adaptors there
4x114.3 to 4x100 vise versa

RiseOfBrutality
20-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Im having the same issue with my 18" rims but its only the drivers side front that is rubbing, made a grove around the rim
the only way i got around it was to angle grind that part of the caliper back that was rubbing

mrwillz
20-05-2008, 07:46 PM
whys it illegal for spacers>?

i didnt even no i got spacers put in til i took the rimn off myself

Alexx
20-05-2008, 07:52 PM
its silly aye theyre all over ebay in the states i dont see why it should be illegal

u can also get adaptors there
4x114.3 to 4x100 vise versa

Its quite obvious why they are illegal - they create a greater moment about the hub, increasing the force that is applied on the studs/hubs etc. In some cases dangerously so. There are cases of studs failing once this added stress is applied.

Just get wheels with the right design/offset and you shouldn't have a problem. Grinding away at your calipers probably isn't the smartest thing to do either.

trism
20-05-2008, 07:57 PM
its illegal for spacers because wrongly designed ones fcuk everything up.

when a wheel goes on a car, it sits on the hub, and the studs just keep it on teh hub. all the stress is transferred to the hub. when you add spacers, the stress goes onto stud, and they will snap

marky53
20-05-2008, 08:26 PM
ive got 3mm spacers on my dc2r, didnt know they were illegal.... I thought that spacers under 12mm were legal.... does anyone know for sure????

dsp26
20-05-2008, 08:34 PM
ive got 3mm spacers on my dc2r, didnt know they were illegal.... I thought that spacers under 12mm were legal.... does anyone know for sure????

Pretty sure it's for Melb too but here on Page 4:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf
It's an ADR requirement.

For aftermarket ones to be legal they have to be welded/balanced and correct extended wheel studs applied.

Limbo
20-05-2008, 08:47 PM
you can grind the top of the caliper slightly so they don't rub. I've had to remove 2-3mm off the top of a few of my calipers before. Angle grinder $30 from supercheap or borrow one off a friend.

THe trick is to get them even. DO one side and then match the other side to it.

TheSaint
20-05-2008, 09:17 PM
i dont mean to flame here but why on earth would you buy a wheel thats the wrong size + offset?

all aftermarket alloys must not exeed more than 2" from stock size and than if you research and buy the right offset for your car there shouldnt be a problem...

spacers are illegal, very dangerous and not good for your car or alloys

diffuzn
20-05-2008, 09:49 PM
if you buy proper spacers, not the stupid ebay ones you should be safe. Porsche's have stock wheel spaces i'm pretty sure.

Make sure they fit around the wheel studs and that they fit tight on the centre of the hub and in the centre of the wheel. That way the load is spread across the whole hub and not just on the wheel studs.

trism
20-05-2008, 09:54 PM
yes, some porches have stock wheel spacers, but this is legal, coz they come from factory like it. its done so they can fit big **** off brakes, and push the wheels out to fit guards without having to redesign underpinnings.

they are hadcore welded on but, not just slipped over the studs

TheSaint
20-05-2008, 10:07 PM
i dont see the point in spacers.... just get the right wheels the first time round?

dsp26
20-05-2008, 10:44 PM
i dont mean to flame here but why on earth would you buy a wheel thats the wrong size + offset?

all aftermarket alloys must not exeed more than 2" from stock size and than if you research and buy the right offset for your car there shouldnt be a problem...

spacers are illegal, very dangerous and not good for your car or alloys
most n00bs especially first car or first time wheel buyers don't understand or even know of the concept of offset... these people should just be left alone to learn the hard way like most.

if you buy proper spacers, not the stupid ebay ones you should be safe. Porsche's have stock wheel spaces i'm pretty sure.

Make sure they fit around the wheel studs and that they fit tight on the centre of the hub and in the centre of the wheel. That way the load is spread across the whole hub and not just on the wheel studs.

coz regardless where you buy them from it is pointless for a wheel shop to balance your tyres coz stupid multifit spacers are unbalanced... only way to really do it somewhat properly is to sticky tape these onto the wheels while they get balanced. and then theres the issue of slightly shorter stud threading as a result of spacers which reduces integrity and holding capacity of the bolts/studs making the ADR against this stupid rice mod completely justifiable... especially considering most people who need these in the first place would have moved to a bigger heavier wheel.

xenonkuraz: Limbo's suggestion about shaving a poofteenth of the layer is the cheapest and possibly only viable option if done correctly and the amount to be removed is VERY minimal and returning/swapping/selling the wheels isnn't an option. pretty sure this is illegal too but:
- it's less noticable especially if you have painted brakes
- detrimental effects to safety of shaving this very minor amount is far less than 4 studs a wheel having 3-10mm less threading depth... man only if you guys have seen a car turning at a roundabout and the wheel coming off mid-turn.. LOL but dangerous....

TheSaint
21-05-2008, 01:06 AM
most n00bs especially first car or first time wheel buyers don't understand or even know of the concept of offset... these people should just be left alone to learn the hard way like most.

coz regardless where you buy them from it is pointless for a wheel shop to balance your tyres coz stupid multifit spacers are unbalanced... only way to really do it somewhat properly is to sticky tape these onto the wheels while they get balanced. and then theres the issue of slightly shorter stud threading as a result of spacers which reduces integrity and holding capacity of the bolts/studs making the ADR against this stupid rice mod completely justifiable... especially considering most people who need these in the first place would have moved to a bigger heavier wheel.

xenonkuraz: Limbo's suggestion about shaving a poofteenth of the layer is the cheapest and possibly only viable option if done correctly and the amount to be removed is VERY minimal and returning/swapping/selling the wheels isnn't an option. pretty sure this is illegal too but:
- it's less noticable especially if you have painted brakes
- detrimental effects to safety of shaving this very minor amount is far less than 4 studs a wheel having 3-10mm less threading depth... man only if you guys have seen a car turning at a roundabout and the wheel coming off mid-turn.. LOL but dangerous....

completely agree, also, adding a larger heavier wheel to a small car like a honda will ONLY occur negative effects (and 90% ppl think it looks stupid)
- negative turning capacity
- negative tyre wear
- negative suspension application and wear
- the above resulting in negative fuel consumption
- the above resulting in negative ride comfortability

lol at people that spend a fortune on 'performance' modifications on thier little car than strap boat anchors onto it to make it 'look good'

the point at which you have to 'grind down your brake caliper' should be the point where you stand back and think 'where have a gone wrong / stuffed up' =/

each to their own... but as always... DYOR (do your own research)

TheSaint
21-05-2008, 01:11 AM
yes, some porches have stock wheel spacers, but this is legal, coz they come from factory like it. its done so they can fit big **** off brakes, and push the wheels out to fit guards without having to redesign underpinnings.

they are hadcore welded on but, not just slipped over the studs

probably a result of the porsche ordering system...

high end porsche are all made to order or for certain application, the reason they may have to use spacers is the rich idiot filling out the form wanting larger/smaller wheels than the car is suppose to have

im not sure about the legality of this for australia but but i would speculate that there would be some fine lines drawn somewhere... i suspect that a car is designed for a size allocation in mind and exceeding the size allocation by more than 2" would be illegal unless otherwise used for track etc

trism
21-05-2008, 01:56 AM
no. the car has spacers in all markets around the world. its not an option. its factory standard.

PNS 001_EG3
21-05-2008, 07:19 AM
i was reading this and had to throw my 2 cents in, grinding the caliper is one of the dumbest things i have heard, grinding away at a pressurised oil gallery, hmmmm what happens if you grind to far and underbraking it cracks / brakes? um does that mean you loose pressure in your brake lines causeing the car not to stop?

just buy the right wheel or space it out a few mm, either way grinding calipers, or spacing out is illegal, but i would rather space a wheel then grind away at a system that slows you down......

you can grind the top of the caliper slightly so they don't rub. I've had to remove 2-3mm off the top of a few of my calipers before. Angle grinder $30 from supercheap or borrow one off a friend.

THe trick is to get them even. DO one side and then match the other side to it.

dsp26
21-05-2008, 09:08 AM
i was reading this and had to throw my 2 cents in, grinding the caliper is one of the dumbest things i have heard, grinding away at a pressurised oil gallery, hmmmm what happens if you grind to far and underbraking it cracks / brakes? um does that mean you loose pressure in your brake lines causeing the car not to stop?

just buy the right wheel or space it out a few mm, either way grinding calipers, or spacing out is illegal, but i would rather space a wheel then grind away at a system that slows you down......

the most sensible thing naturally is your second paragraph... however your first doesn't make sense...

any hydraulic pressure etc is at the back of the caliper (opposite side to the wheels) unless he has aftermarkets with pistons on both sides which he doesn't....

the part that touches is the outside where the backing plate of the pads rest onto.... but yes... shaving is still only a last resort.

xenonkuraz
21-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm trying to fit the jdm dc2r wheels on my cd5. Was told the offset would match, didn't bother researching. With the dc2r wheels on, there is atleast 5mm of unused thread (opposed to stock alloy).

Limbo
21-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Have you ever done it before or are you just another internet mechanic?
I've done this on 2 of my cars now cos it was not an option. I upgraded to larger calipers and ground 2-3mm. Both cars were engineered without any problems at all.

THe gallaries are no-where close to the top of the calliper. Its a known practice in alot of places where brake upgrades are required.

The only other real choice is to get different offsets

VTECMACHINE
21-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Spacers are bad... but if you intend on using them, team them up with Extended studs.

Spacers (3mm), which I use for the track on stock studs to fit my stock DC2R rims over my Spoon Calipers.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150249160936&Category=42614&_trksid=p3907.m29

ARP Extended studs - to give you the extra length that spacers take up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARP-Extended-Wheel-Studs-Acura-Honda-Civic-Integra-8pcs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcateg oryZ42614QQihZ017QQitemZ270237486926QQrdZ1QQsspage nameZWD2V

If you get the extended studs.. you'll be alright... just make sure you check your nuts every now and then.. and tighten them. I find my studs become a little loose when using them. But meh... I still use them - even though I am quite against them.

dsp26
21-05-2008, 12:29 PM
^^^still need to be engineered though is the only downfall of getting 'proper' ones...

VTECMACHINE
21-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Who here gets their cars engineered?

I haven't had my car engineered... It works fine - but I do not recommend them.

dsp26
21-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Who here gets their cars engineered?

I haven't had my car engineered... It works fine - but I do not recommend them.

its funny coz its true.... but there is that minority even on here that do the right thing.

irelevant to this thread... but especially with something like turbo or engine mods in general, for the cost of engineering it keeps the po po's away...

think about it like in my case.. i spent a certain amount to do my exhaust system, i spent just over half that amount to return it to stock just to pass a noise test.

VTECMACHINE
21-05-2008, 02:26 PM
its funny coz its true.... but there is that minority even on here that do the right thing.

irelevant to this thread... but especially with something like turbo or engine mods in general, for the cost of engineering it keeps the po po's away...

think about it like in my case.. i spent a certain amount to do my exhaust system, i spent just over half that amount to return it to stock just to pass a noise test.

Yeah true... but I drive below 3000rpm on the street, and keep my silencer in. Also out North way, and cops tend to leave more sensible drivers alone.
Actually cops tend to leave cleaner more "racey" looking car alone, as they are the people that track, and drive sensible on the street. They target the more 'woggy' cars, and guys that wear hats when they drive - so I have been told by my Police friend, as they are the trouble makers. Sounds wrong... but fair enough, it's most likely true.

Anyways... back on topic.

PNS 001_EG3
21-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Have you ever done it before or are you just another internet mechanic?
I've done this on 2 of my cars now cos it was not an option. I upgraded to larger calipers and ground 2-3mm. Both cars were engineered without any problems at all.

THe gallaries are no-where close to the top of the calliper. Its a known practice in alot of places where brake upgrades are required.

The only other real choice is to get different offsets

Mate who ever engineered that, shouldnt have. , neither is a great option however spacing out 5 mm is fine. grinding a caliper, especially an after market ones is bloody stupid. with the heat they generate and the pressure,stress they are put through, its common sense not to grind a caliper.

Limbo
22-05-2008, 12:39 AM
i have other reasons why i engineered the cars, its just comon sense to engineer all your mods in one go.

Well both the engineers have been in the business for yrs.

PNS 001_EG3
23-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I was refering to our problem we had with willwood calipers, as there is not much meat on ours and 4 piston, i would not take a grinder to it.
the most sensible thing naturally is your second paragraph... however your first doesn't make sense...

any hydraulic pressure etc is at the back of the caliper (opposite side to the wheels) unless he has aftermarkets with pistons on both sides which he doesn't....

the part that touches is the outside where the backing plate of the pads rest onto.... but yes... shaving is still only a last resort.

Limbo
23-05-2008, 09:56 PM
i'm talking larger OEM calipers, there is always some precastings on it that can go no worries.
THings like spoon & willwood i wouldn't grind even if i could, i'd rather buy new rims