PDA

View Full Version : 1991 civic help!!!

trippen21
20-05-2008, 11:08 PM
hey people!!
i got a 1991 honda civic 1.5 dual carb! i want to turbo it but im not sure wat mod's i have to do the the motor befor i can do that or if i should do a engine swap! i need help haha i am female to if this sounds stupid!! :angel:

EKVTIR-T
20-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Ideally you should engine swap to a 1.6 single cam fuel injected motor which is the same series as your motor in the car now.
Yours being a d15b4 and the 1.6 being a D16y1.Getting this supplied and fitted can cost roughly $1500-3000.
Then get a turbo kit to suit the 1.6.
A few guys on here are running a greddy kit from usa which is a bolt on kit costing around $3000.
You can find them on Ebay u.s.

DNT-CRY
21-05-2008, 02:47 AM
do not put a turbo in ur 91 1.5 dual carb... ur engine will definatly blow up.. i highly suggest as ekvtir-t said get a d16y so then u can turbo it without problems if u do turbo wif a normal ek engine (d16y) you will produce atleast 120-130 kw but obv wif more mods.. airintake>hondta ecu>manifold>headers etcetc

SeverAMV
22-05-2008, 09:56 PM
do not put a turbo in ur 91 1.5 dual carb... ur engine will definatly blow up.. i highly suggest as ekvtir-t said get a d16y so then u can turbo it without problems if u do turbo wif a normal ek engine (d16y) you will produce atleast 120-130 kw but obv wif more mods.. airintake>hondta ecu>manifold>headers etcetc

i dont know what world you come from but the engine wont blow up from turbocharging as long as the head and the bearings are still good. the compression ratio is 8.4 from factory which is safe for turbocharging. the only real problem is that you wont gain much power from turboing a carb motor compared to NA tuning a carb motor.

if you mill the head of the carby, fit a high comp all motor kit from www.fjdistributors.com ($300), get a kms titanium valvetrain ($600), stage 2 camshaft ($400 or so depending on where you get it from), and ebay $17 extractors and get it all tuned properly, you can make around 80-110kw depending on the tune and fuel. then you can swap the carbs to something more performance oriented, like mikunis, webers, solexs, etc. if you wanna hit 120-130 fwkw. overall, it will cost less than swapping to a d16y1 and turbocharging, and will make more linear and more responsive power.

tekung89
22-05-2008, 10:05 PM

LOL .. seriously im assuming u speak from high modification super 'experience' lol. i dnt think u know wat ur going on about

SeverAMV
22-05-2008, 10:07 PM
closest thing it will do to blowing up is a valve shooting out if your valvetrain is worn out, or your pistons cracking if theyre fairly old, but if that happens to you, it probably wouldve happened without turbocharging anyway.