PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt/Engine Noise

edmbranch
21-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi, recently just bought a civic sport, auto.
800kms after 2 weeks, it's a fair bit of travel.. tho i've pushed the engine till the vtec kicks in after the clock hits 600km, after that i've noticed the engine hasn't been as smooth as when i first picked it up.

i know the first few thousand kms should be normal for the engine to be vibrating till the piston actually wear into place with the cylinders and fuel consumption would gradually lowers. however, should i worry about the noise coming from the timing belt? or the side of the engine (closer to where the battery is)

ron 91 used, until last pump, i pumped in ron95

any replies would help..

adylim
22-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Lol....don't you know there is a run in period for cars? On the first 1000km shdnt really push it too much, just drive it slowly and like a granny. You pushed it till the vtec kicked in...thts interesting....lol. but it shd be alright....the run in is for long term. Its not good for your engine tho, but there wont be anything wrong with it, at least not until it reaches 100k km i guess. Just don thrash it for now. Not smooth is probably the Vti(vtec intelligent) trying to change gear ratios according to your driving style. lol...my guess

gerard
23-05-2008, 05:41 PM
shouldn't be cause for engine roughness. since you did put in 600km of run in time lol.
maybe you can compare with other fd2 autos. where abouts in melb do you live?
theres two sport autos here in Rowville.

edmbranch
23-05-2008, 10:38 PM
shouldn't be cause for engine roughness. since you did put in 600km of run in time lol.
maybe you can compare with other fd2 autos. where abouts in melb do you live?
theres two sport autos here in Rowville.

uhm.. glen waverley.. rowville's not that far from here..
alright, i wouldn't worry much bout it then.. 1st service coming around soon.. =D

markCivicVti
24-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Not everyone agrees that new engines require run in periods. When I got the car, I let the engine warm up, and then drove it like I normally would.

"Drive it like you stole it!"

Forget about what the car sounded like when u first got it... if the sound coming from the engine bay is louder than other FD2s then get it checked... no one here can help as we don't know whether the sound is at a 'normal' level or not. If its louder than it should be if you had bought the car 2nd hand then get your dealer to check it. They don't bite.

"Not smooth is probably the Vti(vtec intelligent) trying to change gear ratios according to your driving style. lol...my guess"

What are you talking about? I-Vtec?? It doesn't change the gear ratios!

edmbranch
24-05-2008, 11:57 PM
oh yeh.. i just love how the engine revs, too bad it's a detuned k20z.. =\
o_o i didn't think ivtec does all the gear ratio.. vtec just apply itself when it hits 5.2..

aaronng
25-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Is it vibrating when your car is stopped but you are in D?

edmbranch
25-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Is it vibrating when your car is stopped but you are in D?

yup, it's not so strong but i could feel it, it's worse when it's on P, but i guess it doesn't vibrate as much cause it's in gear.. i'll ask the mechanics when i bring it in for first service.. =)

FallenAngel
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Not too sure if this is right but i thought the I-VTEC works throughout the whole RPM range...?

Esp. in our civics where VTEC is engaged @ low RPMs to keep the butterfly fully open...?

(Correct me if i'm wrong)

edmbranch
03-06-2008, 04:09 AM
i have no idea how the I vtec works on the FD2.. some says it comes in at low rpm and some said it kicks in at 5.2.. at least the car gets me from point A to point B and maybe some speedy acceleration in between.. :p
1st service tmr.. and i realised the smoke plug thing's not working o_o?

aaronng
03-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Not too sure if this is right but i thought the I-VTEC works throughout the whole RPM range...?

Esp. in our civics where VTEC is engaged @ low RPMs to keep the butterfly fully open...?

(Correct me if i'm wrong)

Yup. That's for FD1. FD2 is the traditional i-vtec, but only on the intake cam.

applio
03-06-2008, 05:32 PM
yup, it's not so strong but i could feel it, it's worse when it's on P, but i guess it doesn't vibrate as much cause it's in gear.. i'll ask the mechanics when i bring it in for first service.. =)

is a faulty issue with automatic, especially when the car over 5000km, the noise become very loud. bring back to your dealer, ask them to fix it.

me and my frined has the same problem, when stop, on "D", rattling noise. he bring back to the dealer and fixed under warranty

now i already booked my appointment with my dealer, and waiting to claim the warranty on this.

vtek
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
If its an abnormal knoking when in D, take it to the dealers as there is a repair procedure on the P/S tensioner and belt.