PDA

View Full Version : Weird 4WS problem

liman
23-05-2008, 01:29 PM
4WS lights in my 4g lude keeps coming back on for some reason.
After I reset the ECU (disconnect - battery and connect it again) the light went off after I started the car.
But then after a while, as in a few days, the light suddenly went on again.
Then I did the same like before, reset the ECU, light went off again, etc...

Any idea what's going on?

preludacris
23-05-2008, 02:03 PM
if it keeps coming back, you mite need a 4ws alignment.

though the 4ws can also be triggered by simple things such as if the rear wheel is up against a gutter, and you try to turn the wheel.

4ws alignment is around 150 from honda dealers.

JSpec3
23-05-2008, 04:31 PM
get the code from it and find out whats wrong. obviously something is wrong if it keeps coming back.

preludacris
24-05-2008, 03:54 AM
2nd that john!

ECU-MAN
26-05-2008, 09:28 AM
check this link out
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51150

you are also not resetting your 4ws ecu corectly.

Flemo004
03-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I am so glad I found this forum. I have pulled my ECU and resoldered the relays, I have tried to reset my ECU and nothing seems to be working to stop the 4ws warning light from coming on. I have tried to pull the codes, but there is nothing showing, just the light staying on.
Could it really be as simple as just getting myself a wheel alignment?? If it is, I will start kicking myself that it was something so simple!! In fact, I have pulled the ECU out again tonight to make sure the soldering has held up as the problem is still there.
If anyone has any further idea of what this could be, please let me know.
Cheers,
Flemo

JSpec3
04-06-2008, 08:22 AM
the ecu has nothing to do with the 4ws really. the 4ws computer is located in the boot, on the back of the rear passenger seat. Take that out and resolder the joints. PreludeAustralia will prolly have more info on this sort of thing.

Flemo004
04-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, it was the 4ws ECU that I resoldered the relays on, but this made no difference. I would have contacted Honda Australia, but as EVERYONE who owns a Honda knows, they will rape you as soon as they get your vehicle as they know there is not too much that can't be done without them. JSpec3, I am also in SEQld, do you know of anyone that might be able to help if I am unsuccessful??

JSpec3
04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Jump on Preludeaustralia.com and ask.

If the light is showing then you will have a code. Sure you did it right? Have you checked that link ECU-MAN posted? Have you disconnected your battery after you have fixed the solders and then turned your steering wheel left-right-left-right-center as per that link?

You might need to take it to Honda and get a 4ws sensor alignment. I have had one done before. Cost about $180. Make sure you tell them you want a 4ws alignment not 4 wheel alignment otherwise they'll just wanna give you a wheel alignment.

Flemo004
04-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I have done everything that has been mentioned, bar the turning of the steering wheel.
I will get the 4WS ECU into the car and try that, and if there is still no joy I will go for a wheel alignment, it has been a while and I hadn't thought about it before reading this forum. If that is no good then I will try Honda for the sensor alignment and slowly chip away at the problems. As for the code, there was nothing show, the 4WS light just stayed on - I did follow this from the Honda manual, so I 99% sure I had this one sorted, plus a greaser at work had a look and came up with the same thing.
I have checked that thread, was doing so late last night after work, and it is much better than just seeing a word picture.
Thanks for your help, will let you know how it all goes.
Cheers,
Flemo

Flemo004
04-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I resoldered a lot of the PCB in the 4WS ECU, and I am not sure if this was it, but I am more inclined to think it has been then turning of the steering wheel that has done it. The 4WS light usually comes on between 2 and 4km's, I just went for a short drive of about 4km's and there was no light come on. I am going to work soon, so this will be the real test. If it works, thank you for all your help, if it doesn't work, thank you for all your help but what can I do now...
Cheers,
Flemo

JSpec3
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
well just let us know the outcome. btw honda will do a wheel alignment while doing the sensors so don't get one before going there, waste of money.

liman
04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, looks like mine's sorted, somehow.
All I did was bridge the blue connector and get the code, gave me either 62 or 72, a bit hard to tell.
So I decided to just turn the steering wheel left right left right center then I've tested it for a couple of days, seems to be fine now.

I can't really be sure whether that actually fixed the problem or not, but the 4ws light's gone for now.
My only problem is now my steering wheel always goes to the left, all I need is 4 wheel alignment right?

JSpec3
04-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Yep, just get a wheel alignment. Perhaps the parameters in the 4ws computer were not set correctly before.

liman
04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Any idea how much wheel alignment is?
I can live with my steering wheel going to the left a bit I supposed.

JSpec3
04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
$66 for a 4 wheel alignment. $40 for just the front.

liman
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Strange, the 4ws light came back on out of the blue...
On at some point, off at another -_-"
I might check the 4ws ECU this weekend.

JSpec3
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
get the code from it before you reset it again and post it up.

Flemo004
06-06-2008, 12:14 AM
I had my fingers crossed, but the journey to work didn't occur without the light coming on again, and it has continued to do so since. I called Honda and they said they do not do wheel alignments in my area, but they referred me to the mob that do. The car is booked in tomorrow, so I will see if this makes a difference. If not, maybe there is someone out there with a fully functional 4WS ECU they would like to part with...

Flemo004
06-06-2008, 05:49 PM
WHAT TO DO???
I have had the 4WS alignment through the people Honda recommended, who did say they knew nothing about the sensor alignment, and unfortunately it has made no difference. The light didn't come on during the short 3km drive to stop at shops on the way home, but then 2.2km's from there it did!! I checked for codes again, and again there is nothing!
Looks like a new ECU for me, anyone out there have a reasonably priced one?
I have just found that it may be the VSS that is out, which might explain when I drove at 40km for a while there was no light show, then after accelerating to 60km it came on. Anyone???