PDA

View Full Version : dc2 vtir weight reduction!!

dslt
23-05-2008, 06:34 PM
hey guys, just wondering if i could make my dc2 vtir weigh as much as a dc2r. Without stripping interior. Like say taking sound deadening out, and what else is there?

I want to do this because i have a k series, feel as though the car is heavy compared to when i had my jdm dc2r.

And what is the kg different between the vtir and dc2r anyways

Any help would be appreciated

cheers

T-onedc2
23-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Stock ITR differences are
-remove sunroof
-thinner windscreen
-lighter radiator
-side bump strips

If you can calculate the weight saving of these then you're half way there, also keep in mind that "where" you remove the weight will make a difference too, ie sunroof = lower centre of gravity

Also, what year DC2 do you have? 93-97 models will save a few hundred grams to a kilo or so, as 98+ incl Type R has stronger reinforced chassis.

blk_shadow
23-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I think the wheels are also different weight.

the front seats, being a Recaro so its lighter.

xntrik
23-05-2008, 07:00 PM
k series are heavy enough.
how much does your car weigh now?

DC2-R's are just over a tonne. around 1000-1090kg (without driver)

drill holes in your legs, makes your car lighter. X)

tRipitaka
23-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I think the wheels are also different weight.

the front seats, being a Recaro so its lighter.

i believe dc2r recaros are heavier than stock seats.. lol

well my sr3 seats were heavier than my stock civic seats.. so i'm assuming it's the same for integras..

bennjamin
23-05-2008, 07:13 PM
remove all static weight you can ( rear seats , spare wheel , etc) that is SAFE.

Then , start to REDUCE rotational mass of parts....lighter wheels , flywheel etc.

hisoka
23-05-2008, 07:19 PM
if you have towing bars take them off

blk_shadow
23-05-2008, 07:23 PM
i believe dc2r recaros are heavier than stock seats.. lol

well my sr3 seats were heavier than my stock civic seats.. so i'm assuming it's the same for integras..

really?? ah well, the idea of getting recaros goes down the toilet then LOL

T-onedc2
23-05-2008, 07:44 PM
And what is the kg different between the vtir and dc2r anyways
Just saw this bit, JDM ITR with no A/C is 1087kg, AUDM is 1125kg I think and VTiR 1175kg

beeza
23-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I found an old metal brace under my car that was used for the old exhaust system and I took that off,it weighed 200 grams or so :)

Sorry,my point being,I just can't find anything in the car that I can strip of without my car looking all stripped...so is that it,you just get to a point and cant go no more,haha please tell me because it may put my mind at ease :angel:

T-onedc2
23-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I found an old metal brace under my car that was used for the old exhaust system and I took that off,it weighed 200 grams or so :)

Sorry,my point being,I just can't find anything in the car that I can strip of without my car looking all stripped...so is that it,you just get to a point and cant go no more,haha please tell me because it may put my mind at ease :angel:
when you get to that point it's time to start replacing panels with CF and exhaust with Titanium, and super light weight wheels.

dudeling7
23-05-2008, 08:08 PM
rear wiper delete (motor weights a bit) lol

hmmm take out the stock intake resoator box if you havnt

type r's dont have sound deadening

remove carpets lol

beeza
23-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah I still gotta take out the sound deadening,it's an EK1.And that would be it then,I don't want to spend money on it...

mrwillz
23-05-2008, 08:42 PM
take off any mud flaps

RtN
24-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Rear Wipers, use wind down windows(not sure if lighter), take out bumper re inforcements if you wanna risk, Front and rear probably are a few KGs each.

string
24-05-2008, 03:53 PM

K-series is about as heavy as a D-series, i.e. lighter than any B.

If you're serious about weight reduction you shouldn't need to ask. Start from the front and work your way back - anything you don't need, remove. Anything that's got more metal than you think it needs, get out the hole saw and start cutting!

Weight reduction is either all or nothing. There is no point taking out a few things to save 20kg, you might aswell just leave them in!

bennjamin
24-05-2008, 05:27 PM
type Rs DO have front and rear reinforcement - rear is the same as other integras but the front is a streamlined thinner version.

All cars should have this as its part of the body reinforcement. Have an accident without one of these ( i have) and the cars body crumples easily.

thebob
24-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Electric window motors way a ton, lose them.

e240
24-05-2008, 06:26 PM
run at least 5ks a day, cut down the beers/soft drinks and eat more greens.

Would account to a bout 20kgs in my case. :-p

geeang
24-05-2008, 06:38 PM
What I've done recently and have noticed a BIG difference in the way the car feels:

Removed my sub + two amps + crossovers + speakers
Removed false floor
Removed rear seats
Removed rear carpets
Removed centre console
Removed rear wiper

This is only temporary though as I have my audio redone, currently the car feels like a real pocket rocket. I'm also getting lighter wheels which will greatly reduce rotational mass (from 15kg+ each wheel to <7kg).

You can also try removing automatic windows and automatic sunroof (replace with fixed sunroof). Removing sound deadening under the carpets (quite a few heavy plates of this), removing resonator box.

Zilli
24-05-2008, 11:34 PM
i only just put my rear seats, parcel tray and bootfloor back in tonight, and i reckon it does feel a LITTLE just a LITTLE more responsive.... i reckon its a play on the mind since the car feels so much rawer... but my time slips for the quarter prove it makes a bit of a difference...

TheSaint
25-05-2008, 04:54 AM
be prepared for an annoyingly dirty rear window without the rear wiper

the dc2 rear window slopes back in a way that makes it hard to keep clean =/

zco
25-05-2008, 09:58 AM
how much does your car weigh now?

DC2-R's are just over a tonne. around 1000-1090kg (without driver)

drill holes in your legs, makes your car lighter. X)
take your car to a weigh bridge with full stock interior. it'll be 1130+

K series is lighter than B series.

and whoever sed recaro's are lighter, you need to get some and find out

RtN
25-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Ti Exhaust, headers etc? maybe LOL

AzKik-R
25-05-2008, 06:28 PM
if you're hard out into weight reduction, take out the spare wheel and tools, seats, carpet in the back, parcel shelf.
and something different, only half fill up your tank.
remove a/c/ leave the control's there (shneaky shneaky). light weight radiator. fibreglass front (painted to match).
electric windows/mirrors. speakers/stereo

by lowering your seat heights, you subtly lower the centre of gravity. ie same weight, but it sit's lower.

diffuzn
26-05-2008, 04:32 AM
strip the doors down

beeza
26-05-2008, 09:54 AM
The fibroglass hood is not legal though...

I know the sub is heavy,but I love my beats.I was thinking I'll take it out for a while and see how it is :)