PDA

View Full Version : how to change the bulbs in headlights for civic ek

CER-15E
24-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi guys and girls, I'm tryin to change my bulbs in my headlights and am having trouble gettin to them.. whats the easiest way to change them on my civic coupe?? im havin trouble gettin them back in cos i cant see the thread, thanks

mars_panas
24-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Check ur manual book... According to Honda, the correct way to change the bulb is to remove the bumper and headlight assembly to get to the bulb.

Pulling the inner fender.. is a hassle for an operation that usually requires no tools in many other cars.

Honda surely could have found a little more room in the engine bay to allow access to the headlight bulb.

simonnowis
24-05-2008, 04:14 PM
to remove the headlights u have to remove the front bumper,
i dont think there is enough room
-firstly after uv taken the bumper off and unbolted the headlights
-after the headlight plug is unpluged u need to take off the black rubber cover
-under the cover there will be one screw holding a wierd shaped pin
-the pin is holding the bulb in place so u have to undo the screw to take the bulb out.
-once the bulb is out put the new bulb in and assemble back to normal.
Note: Do not touch the headlight bulb directly with ur hands as the oil from ur hands will wreck the bulb

yellows2k
24-05-2008, 04:22 PM
is the coupe different top the hatch?
i have changed the headlight bulb in an ek4 and also the ed civics and they were both the same process.
unplug the socket, pull off the rubber housing. unclip the swivelling wire that holds teh bulb in place, and remove the bulb. one side is harder as u need to unhook a cylindrical plastic container.
it can be quite fiddly, but i never had to remove any bumpers. the owners manual tells u how to do it

changing the parker lights on an s2000 was a different story.the manual says u just need to turn the wheel, but i had to take teh whole wheel off to get better access.
and i peeled the plastic wheel well as far as i could and still took off all my skin on my hand

|nick|
24-05-2008, 04:23 PM
i didn't take my bumper off.

You can just move the power steering fluid from its slot. That should give you just enough space for the left hand head light.

The right one should be ok, but if not, just remove the coolant resivour tank and if thats still not enough room, just unclip/unscrew the top of your air intake so u can fit your hand in the gap behind the headlight.

simonnowis
24-05-2008, 04:28 PM
the coupe is the same as the hatch, sedan. with most cars should be similar.
u have to take the bumper off as for ek the power steering fluid is in the way of the passenger side headlight and the airfilter box is in the way of the driver side. so even if u unplug and take the rubber off, putting a screw driver in and takin the pin out without looking is a pain.
plus putting it back in will be harder without looking.

finalazy
24-05-2008, 05:32 PM
ive changed bulbs for both my headlights for my ek4 without taking the bumper off. for the side with power steering all you gotta do is pull it up and itll have just enough room to unplug it.

yellows2k
24-05-2008, 05:58 PM
thats what it was, teh power steering fluid tank, and there was enough room to replace the bulb. a fiddly job, but quite manageable without taking the bumper off

CER-15E
24-05-2008, 06:57 PM
k thanks heaps everybody.. i didnt have to take my bumper off i jsut movd the power sterrig fluid like u guys said..

yellows2k
24-05-2008, 07:01 PM
did u lose any skin off ur knuckles?

DvSnGuYeN
24-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Get a girl to do it.. they've got small hands... lol..

CER-15E
24-05-2008, 07:04 PM
hahaha i didnt but my boyfriend did.. he said it was easy once he moved the fluid.. the bulbs were eady to get out.. it was tryin to put them back in the right way that was more tricky.. but he did it :) now they look much better :)

CER-15E
24-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Get a girl to do it.. they've got small hands... lol..

haha yer i offered to do it but he said he wuld lol..

EK9
26-05-2008, 11:34 AM
i seriously don't know where some ppl get their info from...

there is nothing said from Honda that you need to remove your bumper to replace your headlight bulbs for the EK/EJ/EM Civics... think about it logically, cars are designed for ordinary ppl to be able to do small maintenance things themselves... and removing a front bumper is not part of that logic.

if ppl bothered reading the manual, it has directions in there. the passenger side is harder with the ps fluid tank, but it specifically says you slide it up out of the way to make room. yes it can be a squeeze, but that's how it's done. if you've done it before, you would have known this...

anyway... problem solved already