PDA

View Full Version : Engine Light

imar
25-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my 01 S2k's engine light turning on. The engine light turns on and then the car starts idling funny/reving up and down 3-5 or so bars on the cluster.

It starts when you put the key into the ignition and it you get those few beeps a few times then stops, immediately the engine light turns on.

If i let the car sit there and idle for a 10 minutes or so, turn it off and then back on, the engine light goes away and the car is 100% again... Another way to fix the problem sometimes is to just drive it for about 5 minutes or so, then pull over and turn the car off/on again and the problem clears. When i do the second option though its quite an unpleasant ride, the car feels jerky and just does not drive right at ALL, quite undriveable actually.

I noticed that the problem usually happens when the car is cold, Generally occurring in the morning or at night...From the way my problem clears i'm kinda suspecting some kind of sensor is stuffed and is being affected by the cold and needs to be warmed up.. I have only owned the car since December and never had this problem until these last couple of weeks as the weather has gotten colder...The previous owner says he has never had a problem...

I took the car to Honda in Warrick Farm for my major 80k service on Monday and described the problem to them and asked them to check it out. They hooked up the computer to it but could not find any issues, they did the major service and a full checkup and could not find the problem...

The only other thing i can think of is to park it there at Honda overnight and have someone observe the problem in the morning....but this is a last resort as i work 6 days a week and cant go without my car.

Has anyone had a similar issue or any ideas on what could be causing this strange problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

.::F[L]Y::.
25-05-2008, 11:22 PM
jerkyness could indicate MAP sensor is stuffed. common problem on warm days but you mentioned its happening when its cold. Engine light usually indicates a sensor is dead or stuffed up.

no offense to dealership mechs but your better off taking the car to hannys to get it diagnosed the guys there really know their hondas.

SNKS2K
26-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I had this same issue as you

it looks like your car is going into limp mode.

does your car not rev past 3 when your engin light it on?

have you got any after market ECU's connected?
if you do and you dont need them, rip them out. and reset your ECU

otherwise just reset your ECU and see how you go.

thats how i fixed this issue on my car.

I also took my car to a honda dealer aswell, and they couldnt fix it either.

let us know how it goes.

itr224
27-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I suggest to pull the DTC yourself, if the honda dealership you sent it to was unable to get it.

What you need to do is to short the OBDII Data Link Connector in the car with a paperclip to be able to pull the code from the car.

there is a DIY write up here for DC5 but it is the same for our cars as well.
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=CEL

Once you have followed the directions from the write up, you can check the code here
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=378792

and that should tell you what is wrong with the car.

I had to do the same procedure when my knock sensor was damaged after the mechanics removed my gearbox to install a new clutch and flywheel.

imar
28-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far. Fly do you have some contact details for "Hanny's" and where is the shop located ? ?

SNKS2K i dont have any aftermarket stuff on my car its total stock.

ITR224, thanks for the links, i might try and take it to this Hanny's place before i try that, ill see if i cant post a video of the problem as its occurring.

imar
28-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Sorry SNKS2K, no i can rev past 3

SNKS2K
28-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry SNKS2K, no i can rev past 3

ahhhh
yeah i had exactly teh same Syptoms as you man.

reset the ECU and i havent had a problem since.

panda[cRx]
28-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I suggest to pull the DTC yourself, if the honda dealership you sent it to was unable to get it.

if the honda techs don't find a code logged with the hds how is he gonna get it with diy? :confused:

aaronng
28-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Have you given the map sensor a nice gentle tap with the back of a screwdriver?

imar
06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Took the car to Hannys last week. Within 2 minutes he managed to pull the error code from the car and pinpointed the problem to be a faulty idle sensor. Replaced it and problem fixed. I suspect those stupid Honda techs didn't even bother trying to pull the code from the car. Thanks for all your help and reccomendations.

martin
08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
hey buddy how much did it cost u to fix at hannys because my friends car has the same problem and wants to know how much it is to fix. thanks

itr224
09-06-2008, 12:38 AM
hey buddy how much did it cost u to fix at hannys because my friends car has the same problem and wants to know how much it is to fix. thanks

If it is the same problem as described, there is something you can do before replacing the idle/air control valve.

I had the same issue with my car, so i removed the IACV and cleaned it out with throttlebody and carby cleaner to remove the carbon build up that was clogging the valve.

This fixed the problem perfectly and i did not have to replace the IACV.

I would reccommend cleaning first , and if this does not work, then you will have to replace it.

Heres a thread that shows you where the iacv is and how to clean it.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=492738&st=0

joek
09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
a very typical example of honda dealer servicing is not so bang for bucks.

BaSsMaXiMuS
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
^^^ - I agree 100% there, thats why Hanny's get's my vote! I going there tomorrow to get my S serviced! woot

imar
22-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Martin, the replacement part cost $200, the labor was not much at all...

Couges
29-06-2008, 12:14 PM
We had a customer get a crv Auto trans rebuilt from Hanny's and when they asked for me to check it out the gears were flaring which indicates that the clutch clearances to end plates were excessive. The customer then called Hanny's back and they said it needed time to 'run in'. That's the first time I have heard of the clutch packs needed to run in to get the correct clearances. The clutch packs, if done properly, need to be soaked first before it gets put back together. Don't think they new what they were talking about.

It sounds like the Honda dealer you took it to was just lazy as the HDS would have easily picked the code up. A DTC is a DTC. The HDS or the pocket tester or shorting the 2 pin DLC cable would have easily been able to show the DTC.

Also there is no such thing as an 'idle sensor'. If your talking about the idle air control valve, then that would cost a lot more than $200 which should be around double.

At least they have rectified the problem without little trouble and money.