PDA

View Full Version : EK rattling interior

nugget666
26-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Does anyone have EK wish a noisy dash/ door trims?. I find my car will rattle its arse of then hit a bump then stop. its so annoying. Has anyone pulled there interior to bits to tighten anything up? Or is there nothing you can do about it?.

MDL30N
26-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Does anyone have EK wish a noisy dash/ door trims?. I find my car will rattle its arse of then hit a bump then stop. its so annoying. Has anyone pulled there interior to bits to tighten anything up? Or is there nothing you can do about it?.

had the same problem...try putting in some rubber foam sealing strips or dynamat sound deadening on ur doors..
..old interiors starts to rattle over time..

shawdi
26-05-2008, 10:37 AM
hey i have that problem too, mostly mine is the door locks though

MDL30N
26-05-2008, 10:45 AM
theres not much screws to tighten when it comes to door trims as it is almost clips that holds the trim...
maybe try and replace the clips with new ones...try supercheap or auto barn

Zdster
26-05-2008, 11:23 AM
It shouldnt be the clips that are the problem. More likely to be the door locks and/or other wiring. It is not that hard to pull off the door trim and some of the underside of the dash and just tape up anything that moves.

[ricer]
26-05-2008, 12:15 PM
hey i have that problem too, mostly mine is the door locks though

mine had the same problem... i just put a cable tie connecting both the rods together and no more rattle wat so ever... door unlocks and locks perfectly too...

vinnY
26-05-2008, 01:02 PM
one i've noticed is the actual door lock itself(the one that pivots left and right)
the metal forks which hold the button shaft in place widen over time
take it off, bend the forks a tiny bit. reinstall the lock and it should stop the play and rattle with that

other things i've found rattles is the ash tray(yet to find a fix) and my glove box seems a tad loose(yet to find a fix too)
also have to find a way to make my speakers more solid so they stop rattling :|

otherwise the ek's pretty solid
mind you i'm running filled engine mounts so you'd expect more rattles but mine doesn't seem to rattle much, just vibrate heaps :)

s2_eternity_s2
26-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a prob wit my civic too. the noise coming frm the back on the left. Assuming its the boot or the seat belt that make the rattling noise and its annoy the hell out of me when i'm driving. A fren was sitting at the back to see where the noise come from but he cant confirm the exact spot. What could it be? Does any1 hav the same prob as i do?

vinnY
26-05-2008, 01:27 PM
check the boot under the boot floor, might just be loose tools rattling
check under the spare tyre too, might have something trapped under there

otherwise if no ones sitting in the back lock in the seatbelts and see if it still rattles
might just be the odd screw loose

nugget666
26-05-2008, 01:31 PM
yes i have noticed it comes from the lock area ill give that a shot. Also my dash rattles if i push near where the fan is it stops so is there a fix to that one?

i will pull my doors apart this week to try solid up my locks xD.

vinnY
26-05-2008, 01:35 PM
just a warning though, don't make it too tight otherwise central locking won't function properly and the button will just jam open :)

beeza
26-05-2008, 05:08 PM
one i've noticed is the actual door lock itself(the one that pivots left and right)
the metal forks which hold the button shaft in place widen over time
take it off, bend the forks a tiny bit. reinstall the lock and it should stop the play and rattle with that

other things i've found rattles is the ash tray(yet to find a fix) and my glove box seems a tad loose(yet to find a fix too)
also have to find a way to make my speakers more solid so they stop rattling :|

otherwise the ek's pretty solid
mind you i'm running filled engine mounts so you'd expect more rattles but mine doesn't seem to rattle much, just vibrate heaps :)

With the glovebox,you can move the U shaped piece of metal it clips onto on the dash just by pushing or pulling on it.This is so you can adjust it.That may stop the rattling.Or there's 2 screws underneath holding it on,maybe they need tightening.

I find the shelf on at the rear that has speakers mounted underneath is a common place for rattles.U can just jam a piece of carboard up the side to stop the shelf vibrating.

Just take the ashtray out if it shits ya :)

vinnY
26-05-2008, 05:12 PM
nah its the ashtray door that rattles, the latch that holds it is loose and it begins to rattle at a specific rpm range

will have a look at the glovebox though

nugget666
26-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I fixed my rear parcel shlef rattle bit of foam under there. my doors are annoying as but :(. so got to try a DIY fixmeup this week

Limbo
26-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a prob wit my civic too. the noise coming frm the back on the left. Assuming its the boot or the seat belt that make the rattling noise and its annoy the hell out of me when i'm driving. A fren was sitting at the back to see where the noise come from but he cant confirm the exact spot. What could it be? Does any1 hav the same prob as i do?

exact same problem, i'm about to rip apart my rear interior trim one day and try to find out what it is. It only really happens when i'm cruising

THrought it was the belt and adjusted that just to find it wasn't it. Next thing i'm gonna do is get some foam to put inside the stupid thing.

P.S i have nothing in the boot, no spare, no tools. I run around with a can of foam in a bottle, which i keep under the driver's seat

dahon
26-05-2008, 09:32 PM
my bloody glovebox rattles... only when im idling, when im in neutral or jus cruising along.. no noise... how weird is that...
and it definately is my glovebox cos when i touch it it stops.
:S

98vtir
26-05-2008, 10:20 PM
yeah my locks do the rattle too. also get rattles outside the car around 1st gear goin slow/takin off etcsounds like a washer rattling round. pretty annoying

TheGoodDeal
26-05-2008, 11:08 PM
My car had rattle only with the glovebox sometime. I found that the rubber peice inside the lock was deform. I cut little peice of tyre's tube and jam into it little square hole and fixed the problem.

AutoNoob
27-05-2008, 01:05 AM
hey, where do i look for to tighten down my car seats? (its like jumping on the rails lol) the rattling is driving me nuts...

vinnY
27-05-2008, 01:28 AM
^ base of your seats, theres 4 mounting points
12mm socket should do it
the rail may be worn though so the rail itself has movement which in that case you'd be up for new rails

AutoNoob
27-05-2008, 10:14 AM
>___<, so theres actually no bolts or anything that fixates the seat to the rails?, those 4 mounting bolts are the only things you can ever adjust on a car seat? lol, i thought there was more involved in mounting car seats in the first place

vinnY
27-05-2008, 10:18 AM
well theres a few others but you'd have to take the seat off and all the plastic coverings etc

denmase
28-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I had the same problem with my EK, that was back in 1997, when i bought it brand new, after 2 weeks, it started to rattle and made annoying noise, took it back to Larke Hoskins Honda Rosebery, where i got it from.

Got it back 3 days later and all fixed no more rattling, from under the dash and driver side door, i still got the EK, no ratling ever since..done 145 000.

Ranquist
30-05-2008, 02:30 PM
i have the rattling problem, but i found it to mainly be the interior door handle (or more specifically the cover that surrounds it) which i couldn't really tighten up so i had to put thin bit of rubber underneath, and also the release button on the handbrake drives me nuts. the interior trim rattles sometimes, mainly if i crank the sub, but it's better since i replaces all the plastic clips (they break and loosen in time.