PDA

View Full Version : How to remove body kit bonded to car

tseesinngwailo
26-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey All,

For a while now I have been in the process of De-Ricing my DA9

When I got the car it had a full Jetspeed? bodykit which I loved, but after a few years of hitting gutters and driveways, it was looking average, so decided to remove it, but found a problem.

Front and rear bars were easy enough, but the side skirts are held on with Liquid Nails or some kind of construction adhesive...

any ideas on what to use to disolve it without killing the paint?

i have spayed WD40 and it hasnt had much effect, used some bug and tar remover too as it says it has petroleum based ingredients.

any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

seihoa
26-05-2008, 12:48 PM
thats crazy if they used Liquid nails ... cause there isnt a way to get that off im pretty sure.

they normally use sticky flex or soemthing which is more silicon based for body kits ... prob jst scratch/rub it off with ur fingers thats wat i did HAhahah

jeffske
26-05-2008, 12:52 PM
dry ice perhaps?

teaseR
26-05-2008, 01:47 PM
just break the sideskirt off... u wont need it anymore

tseesinngwailo
26-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I am trying not to wreck the paint, maybe the dry ice idea might work :) just hoping i can spray something that will slowly break up the glue, it looks like liquid nails, its not silicon, thats for sure, but thats for the ideas

tseesinngwailo
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey All, just thought I would update, I ended up using Acetone, in a spray bottle, takes a lot of work spraying and rubbing, but the gunk is coming off, and it has not damaged the paint.

Cheers, Tseesinn

nomcice
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
White spirits disolves liquid nails/ max bond

A-man
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
prepsol from a good paint shop might help aswell... its not as harsh as acetone

GIPONU
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
at the place i work at we rip off the kit with a heatgun and hobby knife cutting the glue.
then to remove the glue we use a rubber orbit block attach to a drill and it burns the rubber off. but it mite damage ur paint if used incorrectly..lol

hiru
24-08-2008, 04:23 PM
chances are you'll have to respray the area again bud