PDA

View Full Version : Ball Seat LugNuts vs Tapered Nuts

dahon
26-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,
after seeing a previous thread of someones alloy racing tapered lugnuts being worn out (i forget the thread number) i was wondering what would be the consequences of having tapered lock nuts on my cars alloys.
as you all know hondas have a 'ball-seat' lugnut construction highlighted below:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/jek_jek/ozhonda%20photos/freeshipping.jpg

what my problem/what im wondering is, i have (on each of the four wheels) three OEM honda lugnuts (so ball seat nuts) and one locknut, a tapered seat one. I was wondering since its just one lugnut, would it experience a stress concentration and wear out my alloy wheel or itself and eventually fail?

if so and it does present a risk? would anyone know where to get locknuts that come as ball seat types?

tRipitaka
26-05-2008, 09:34 PM
moved

CB7_OWNER
28-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Your referring to aftermarket alloys?? Or Stock Honda rims?

iced
28-05-2008, 06:15 PM
why do you need to ask.
if the wheels use taper seat use tapered nuts
if they use shank type with washer then thats the nut to use.
common sense mate.

dahon
28-05-2008, 08:53 PM
cb7: well theyre on OEM wheels which have a ball seat. Im using OEM nuts atm which is ball seat, mates perfectly, but one of the nuts for each wheel is an aftermarket alloy locknut which is of the tapered kind. So for each wheel it has 3 oem nuts & 1 aftermarket.

iced: i dont think you get me mate; these are oem wheels so no shank with washer.
i have a ONE tapered locknut on a ball seat joint for each wheel (the rest are all OEM ballseat nuts so they dont matter) so its not specifically flush and just wondering the consequences of this.

i was just wondering if there would be damage on the locknuts i currently have on them which are tapered, as i only have one locknut on each wheel anyways.
and where would i find ball seat locknuts?
a cheap solution, i only need 4 aswell. (does honda make them?)
every locknut i find is of the tapered kind aswell.

DLO01
28-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Use the right lug nuts for your wheel. Full stop, end of story. :thumbsup:

Your questions are answered in the thread your refering to:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89126

dahon
28-05-2008, 09:13 PM
yah ok so where can i get ball seat locknuts?

aaronng
28-05-2008, 09:26 PM
At a tyre shop.

twing
29-05-2008, 10:49 AM
yah ok so where can i get ball seat locknuts?

Autobarn sells all sort of kind of locknuts, tapered or round.

defect
24-07-2008, 03:27 PM
what style lug nuts do Rota slipstreams use?
and oem alloys?

will the rays long type fit?

dahon
28-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Dunno bout rotas but oem alloys for civics are ball seat nuts.. Culdnt find any tyre shops that supplied them.. Had to look overseas.. Try looking at gorilla lock nuts or mcgard brand that Honda uses as their oem locknuts in America..

vinnY
28-07-2008, 08:57 PM
well apparently repco have open ended ones.. have to take a trip there soon
$2/ea i heard.. for ball seat open ended ones. just gotta ask at the counter
my stock ones won't fit extended studs :(

i saw those gorilla ones on egay, shame they're not open ended ones
they look a bit short though

panda[cRx]
28-07-2008, 09:22 PM
1. u can get oem locknuts
2. who is gonna steal ur oem ferio wheels?? "z0mgjdmstealem!!"

honda oem and ball seat and most aftermarket rims are tapered/acorn
(so defect the rays should be fine on your rotas)

vinnY
28-07-2008, 09:26 PM
^ any idea whether honda sell open ended nuts panda?
i heard some crx's had open ended ones but i can't find a price or part number :(

i don't care if they're lock nuts or so, i just want some that will do the job!

panda[cRx]
28-07-2008, 10:03 PM
sorry can't remember man, never really paid attention. if i remember i might take a pic of the oem lock nuts 2moro at work

corn_flakes
30-07-2008, 03:51 PM
what about the opposite?

what if you have your OEM ball seat nuts on wheels that are better suited with tapered nuts?

vinnY
30-07-2008, 04:29 PM
same problem, less contact area than the correct nut

aimre
30-07-2008, 04:46 PM
i doesnt reall matter

dahon
01-08-2008, 12:10 AM
there was a forum topic on here before about it...
and i saw from my observations, with tapered nuts on my oem ball seat rims, i saw that the tapered nut would be pushed in further up the stud, and there would be one point/circle that would bear the brunt of the load on the nut (a 2mm groove was inscribed in the nut - which was made in japan btw, and all in a matter of 3 months), which is obviously not what they are designed for. this will inevitably cause failure, depending on conditions and the material of the the nut. it cant hurt to be safe buddy...
this would be similar to the case vinny was saying aswell im guessing.

aimre
01-08-2008, 03:26 AM
^^^^

How would it fail?

the only way it could fail is if the nut sheaered. Do u know how intensly hard it is to shear that axis of a nut? the thread would die or stud would break before it sheared. Which, if that where the case, would have happened anyway...... thinkabout it

corn_flakes
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
what about crappy random brand nuts?

has anyone had any problems with 'no frills' nuts? with it falling off or cracking/failing?

dahon
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
aimre you do have a point. they do build these nuts for quite a high load... but it still does put more load on the axis than what would be recommended and may contribute to increased stress concentration in the area.
maybe the nut wont shear but something else might.
who knows right?
random shit does happen...
in the end i prefer to be on the safe side. but it is up2 the owner so whatever floats your boat =)

aimre
02-08-2008, 02:10 AM
^^
Yep, id be more worried bout the rin getting wrecked, which DID happen to a mate. Not sure how or why, but it DID happen.

But if it only one nut, i wouldnt worry. Maybe if u go tracking it

dahon
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
lol the rim mustve been softer in the end maybe? thats random to happen like that.. lolz
for me atm my blades are eating a groove into the tapered nuts i have...
found some ball seat locknuts so yay for me =)

RtN
08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Did you find ball seat lug nuts too? =] I NEED for my blades !!

dahon
08-08-2008, 08:50 PM
hahaha
go the blades =)
yup i got some off a mate in the philippines man... kinda gave up looking here..
i tried some tyre shops here... was pretty hard to find some... none of the places i went had any... and some of em kept ordering the wrong things! kept ordering tapered ones...