PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy '93 Civic Vti for 3.5k, advice.

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Hello to all,
As title says I'm looking at buying a 93 Civic Vti for $3500.
It's done 314 000 km's. I've not seen it yet, will be going with a friend on saturday, the car is on sunshine coast and i'm in Brisbane so I will be going there one day only to make a decision.
Just wanted to know what I should be looking for? What should I get checked etc. I've got no knowledge of Civics, neither does my friend, he's more clued on cars in general compared to me though.

The owner has told me that he never uses the sunroof and it has quite a bit of rust on it and it takes a while to close, but it doesn't leak.

Does that sound like something that can be fixed?

All advice that can be given and questions I should be asking will be appreciated.
Thank you

Regards

dc2dc2dc2
27-05-2008, 02:19 PM
3.5k for a 93' civic with 314xxx on the clock?
dreaming.
just look out for general wear n tear
for a car with that much kmz
honestly i would not pay more than 2k for that eg
but thats me :)

good luck man keep us updated on how u go :)

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Oh that's a bit much is it?
There's a 93 Vti with 210k on the clock for 5000, does 100k less warrant 1500 more in cost?
Most the civics i'm seeing are around 5000 - 6500

dc2dc2dc2
27-05-2008, 02:26 PM
its hard to say
but i guess...its the risk u take buying a car with 300 odd kmz pretty much at the end of its life.
But when i say that...u never know ur luck with buying the one with 210 could blow up the next day.
Like i said...its all risky, all comes down to how well previous owners have looked after the car and how lucky/reliable the car is with that many kmz on the clock.

Honestly if 210xxx one was in better all round condition no doubt i would pay $1500 100,000kmz is a big difference especially at that age.

EKVTIR-T
27-05-2008, 02:33 PM
It depends on the individual car.
I wouldn't say it's at the end of it's life.It's a Honda not an excel or falcodore.
You could spend maybe 1-1.5k on it and make a clean car.
Most parts are fairly cheap at wreckers anyway.
Try and get someone who owns or knows hondas/civics to look at it with you.

EKVTIR-T
27-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Found it.Looks pretty clean actually.here (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=vti&__Dx=mode+matchany&State=Queensland&Cr=9&state_id=79&keywords=vti&R=5745563&__N=4294965322+79+834+285+257+4294965250&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&__Ntt=vti&trecs=26&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&silo=1003&__sid=11A2ACCB855A&Model=CIVIC&seot=0&Make=HONDA)
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/private/3703858.jpg
See if its got service books up to 300ks too

Sypherg
27-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I am selling my EG hatch for approx 5k. Up for sale soon... chassis done only 168,xxx kms and engine done about approx 55,xxx kms. Clean and some tasteful mods.

PM if interested.

evoline
27-05-2008, 02:55 PM
It depends on the individual car.
I wouldn't say it's at the end of it's life.It's a Honda not an excel or falcodore.
You could spend maybe 1-1.5k on it and make a clean car.
Most parts are fairly cheap at wreckers anyway.
Try and get someone who owns or knows hondas/civics to look at it with you.

dude. just for your info, my friends falcodore has 1,000,000km's on it and still going strong! :P

dc2dc2dc2
27-05-2008, 02:58 PM
ur joking right?
orig engine?
what year?
and seriously how many kmz.

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 03:02 PM
EKVTIR-T, Can't get nothing past you, you found it lol. :)
The car does look pretty clean, i'm hoping I can fix the sunroof problem though.
Eventually i'm hoping to change the engine, but that would be sometime in 2009 at earliest I think.
I like the shape of that model Civic sedans too.
I don't know anyone with any Civic experience so what's my next option?
Can I get an RACQ check on a saturday?
My internet is really slow so it's hard to surf carsales quickly.
But could you see any other Civic Vti's of the same model that are manual Sedans that looked better in QLD?

Thanks

EKVTIR-T
27-05-2008, 03:06 PM
EKVTIR-T, Can't get nothing past you, you found it lol. :)
The car does look pretty clean, i'm hoping I can fix the sunroof problem though.
Eventually i'm hoping to change the engine, but that would be sometime in 2009 at earliest I think.
I like the shape of that model Civic sedans too.
I don't know anyone with any Civic experience so what's my next option?
Can I get an RACQ check on a saturday?
My internet is really slow so it's hard to surf carsales quickly.
But could you see any other Civic Vti's of the same model that are manual Sedans that looked better in QLD?

Thanks

The sunroof issue could be the sliders.They dry up and end up really slowing the open/close action.
You can grease them up which usually helps.
It might be something worse but just a thought.

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 03:23 PM
He's only owned the car 18months.
Previous owner had it for 3 years who had it serviced regularly.
The log books only go to about 100k.
The car is in good working condition and drives suprisingly well for it's age.
SHould I avoid like the plague?

evoline
27-05-2008, 03:28 PM
ur joking right?
orig engine?
what year?
and seriously how many kmz.

92 Model Falcon Ghia.
Ex-taxi.
by now it should be like 1,2xx,xxx
no jokes, original engine. lol
i've been family friends with him for a long time

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 04:04 PM
WHat's it called where you get the engined checked and if the pistons(?) aren't near the same psi(?) then engine is on it's last legs.

evoline
27-05-2008, 04:06 PM
compression test?

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 04:14 PM
That's it thanks Evo... Someone put a deposit down on the car... :(

evoline
27-05-2008, 04:15 PM
dont worry about it too much, civics are a dime in a dozen.
you'll find a better/similar deal a week or two later

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Yea, just it was quite cheap...
There is this one for $6.2k.
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__sid=1195BAEC35C7&Cr=1&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&State=Queensland&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&PriceMax=10000&__Nne=20&Model=CIVIC&R=5665721&__N=4294965322+79+888+42+408+4294965250+834+285+25 7&Make=HONDA&state_id=79&trecs=17

Sorry link is so big...
Thoughts?

evoline
27-05-2008, 04:19 PM
It really depends what you're after
Is your mind set on a 4d EG Civic sedan?
and also whats your budget/willing to spend?

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm after a Civic Vti with sunroof in the shape of the 92-95 model body (that's EG?).
Don't really want to spend more then 6.5K on one. 6k mark would be better.

evoline
27-05-2008, 04:35 PM
yep the model youre referring to is EG.
i assume youre not too keen on a hatchback?
plenty of the EG hatchbacks have a sunroof.
you should be able to find plenty for that price range.
a good condition one aswell

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Yea I want a sedan.

MikeyG
27-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey AudiFan,

I also like the sedan EG, if you honestly dont know where to look at i found these info on a previous thread!!

Inspection checklist
Inspect in bright light and when it's dry
Accident damage or rust
Check inside the boot, the floor wells, doors and lower sills for red or other dark stains, dimpled or bubbled paint. Use a soft fridge magnet to check panels for plastic body filler.

A vinyl roof may conceal rust or other damage.

Hail damage
Found mainly on horizontal panel surfaces (eg, bonnet, roof, boot lid). If hail damage is evident, check with your insurance company - they may not insure the car until it's fixed.

Panel fitment
Loose panels may indicate accident damage or that the car has been regularly driven over rough roads.

Doors and boot lid/tailgate
Catches should close firmly. Rubber seals can perish over time.

Paint
Look for colour variation, overspraying, dents or ripples.

Upholstery, trim and carpets
Check for wear and tear.

Engine number and VIN (vehicle identification number)/body number
These numbers must match the numbers on the Certificate of Registration. Check for signs of interference - scratches, grind marks, drill holes etc, as they could indicate illegal interference with the numbers.

Year and month of manufacture
Check these are as advertised by inspecting the compliance and/or build plate (compliance plates are fitted to most cars made for Australia since 1970; usually attached to a panel in the engine bay).

Engine appearance
Build-up of dirt or oil may indicate mechanical problems or poor maintenance.

Engine oil
Dirty/thick oil and a build-up of sludge in the engine may indicate a lack of maintenance. Grey or milky coloured oil may signify the presence of water, which can indicate serious engine problems.

Engine at idle
Listen for irregular running, or any knocking/rattling noises.

Oil fumes
Remove the oil filler cap while the engine is idling. Fumes may signify worn piston rings or cylinder

Radiator coolant
Should be clean and brightly coloured. Oil in the coolant may indicate a cracked cylinder-head or a leaking gasket.

Radiator cooler fins and core tubes
Check for corrosion or damage.

Battery and mounting platform/bracket
Check for acid corrosion.

Tyres (including the spare)
Uneven wear may indicate worn or misaligned steering or suspension.

Oil leaks
Check the engine, transmission, axles, brakes, power steering and shock absorbers.

Exhaust system
Fumes or excessive noise indicate holes or rust in the pipes or mufflers.

Seat-belts
Check that the belts are not frayed or damaged, and that the belts, buckles, adjusters and child restraint anchorage points are in good condition.

Lights
Check the operation of all lights, both inside and outside the car.

If the vehicle is fitted with ABS and/or SRS (air bag), check that the dashboard warning light/s illuminates for a short time when the ignition is turned on.

Equipment and accessories
Check airconditioning, ventilation fan, electric windows, sound system, etc. Inoperative items can be expensive to repair or replace.

Jack and tool-kit
These items should be in place and in serviceable condition.

IMPORTANT: Before taking the car for a test-drive, check with the seller about your legal liability if an accident should occur.

Steering
Excessive 'free travel' or wandering on straight roads can indicate worn suspension or misaligned steering.

Brakes
The car should stop smoothly and in a straight line. The pedal should not sink to the floor or feel spongy and the steering wheel should not vibrate.

Exhaust
Blue smoke indicates oil is being burnt.

Engine
Should run smoothly (accelerating, decelerating and cruising) and the water temperature gauge should stay in the 'safe' range. Rattling or knocking sounds could mean incorrect tuning or excessive wear.

Transmission
Gear changes (manual or automatic) should be smooth, without any rattles or knocking noises. On front-wheel drive vehicles, these noises could indicate worn constant-velocity joints.

Suspension and bodywork
Listen for rattles when you drive over bumps.

And here is some handy numbers for you
RTA - 132 213
Check for stolen parts, that the registration is current and that the seller is the registered owner. Visit the RTA website or e-mail the RTA.

REVS - 1800 424 988 or (02) 9633 6333
Check no money is owed on the car. Have the Certificate of Registration handy when you call. Visit the REVS website or e-mail REVS

Hope this helps dude and also dont rush in things honestly thats a big mistake someone can make take your time.. look at every sedan that you like also... look at interstate cars you could find one a bargin price and its only 500-700 to bring the car by ship.

Goodluck dude all the best for you and keep us posted

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Are there any major differences between the Si/Vti/ and GL/GLi? All sedan EG models?
I know just the vti has sunroof, anything else?
I'm open to getting another model civic, sunroof isn't a be all end all for me.
There's an Si sedan for 5k and it's in my suburb. ^_^

MikeyG
27-05-2008, 08:06 PM
si=dohc (i believe correct me if wrong ppl) no sunroof i think
vti=sohc and yes it does have sunroof

gl=carby engine
gli=non carby engine also power options comfort zone

please correct me if im wrong

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 08:16 PM
oH alright, are carby engines any good?

MikeyG
27-05-2008, 08:27 PM
very good on fuel... its a very good daily driver... but u can put a vtec engine in it.. but u will need more mula!!!!

AudiFan
27-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Redbook says the vti and si etc are also very good on fuel. around 6l/100.
CArby engines are better?
Which ever Civic I get when the engine is on it's last legs i'll be looking to put in a better VTEC engine.

What price should I be lookinf for a EG Vti sedan?
And if it's interstate how can I get it checked out? I don't have the time to go to another city.

MikeyG
27-05-2008, 09:59 PM
And if it's interstate how can I get it checked out? I don't have the time to go to another city?

hmmm if u may have friends then thats a plus if not then its gonna be hard... i suggest first then from interstate is vin/RACQ check also.. i dont know if this could be done but maybe get a RTA mech to check out the car please correct me if im wrong here

CArby engines are better?
carby engines are mostly the best on fuel... but some carby engines with high kms could be not good as in engine wise "thrashed, condition=crap"

What price should I be lookinf for a EG Vti sedan?
the price which i see around is 3-5k mark.. over 5k i "myself" would not pay, but with that... some could have problems with that 'engine thrashed,not in good condition, rust, seats have wear and tear but all in all 3-5k is i believe the current market

if you look on page 2.. u will see i listed what to look for AudiFan.. write them down or print them off it will be more better for u and a learning tool for others that will be buying a car soon and dont know where to check/what to check

diffuzn
28-05-2008, 03:01 AM
don't bother with carby imo, look for at least fuel injected - si vti

also in 2006 i bought my 93 eg sedan si with 180k.km on the clock for 6k which included 15" racing rims and full exhaust.

Civics are pretty common just be patient and you will get a good deal

evoline
28-05-2008, 08:24 AM
i haven't had much experience with carbies.
but i hear theyre a b*tch to start on a cold morning lol

[[d a n n y]]
28-05-2008, 04:36 PM
stfu u noob
talking like u know shit about EG's

panda[cRx]
28-05-2008, 08:41 PM

if you don't have experience with them then shoosh :wave:

sir_egg
28-05-2008, 10:36 PM
lol i have carby & YES they are a b**** to start in the mornings lol

sir_egg
28-05-2008, 10:38 PM
si=dohc (i believe correct me if wrong ppl) no sunroof i think
vti=sohc and yes it does have sunroof

gl=carby engine
gli=non carby engine also power options comfort zone

please correct me if im wrong

i have twin carby with full power options what model does it make mine? glxI?

[[d a n n y]]
29-05-2008, 12:16 AM
your would be a GL

VT1-R
29-05-2008, 12:22 AM
];1717414']stfu u noob
talking like u know shit about EG's

thats fierce..lol.. usually a carby is quite a bitch as i drove a carby lancer b4.. Just go civic vti or si.. and turbo it in future when u get serious about power.. if not it has sufficient power for a daily.. 96kw is very decent for a light car..

MikeyG
29-05-2008, 12:22 AM
yer so gl cary engine with power options
gli non carby all power options etcetc...

[[d a n n y]]
30-05-2008, 09:42 AM
thats fierce..lol.. usually a carby is quite a bitch as i drove a carby lancer b4.. Just go civic vti or si.. and turbo it in future when u get serious about power.. if not it has sufficient power for a daily.. 96kw is very decent for a light car..

hes a good mate of mine lol so he doesnt give a shit lol

AudiFan
31-05-2008, 10:32 PM
OK i've gone back on what I earlier said.
I will also get a hatch too. Prefer a sedan though.

[[d a n n y]]
02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
3.5K for a Vti is a pretty decent buy
the kays are abitg of a worry though
but if your planing on changing the engine then that would be good
try to get him down to 3K flat cash lol

AudiFan
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
THanks danny, but unfortuinately they sold the car lol.
THere's a Vti sedan in sunny bank for 5990, what a price to give it haha.
But no RWC need to hit them up for that.

[[d a n n y]]
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
THanks danny, but unfortuinately they sold the car lol.
THere's a Vti sedan in sunny bank for 5990, what a price to give it haha.
But no RWC need to hit them up for that.

that sounds abit too much
4.5-5.5K depending on kays and condition.
there are many other cars to buy for that price

AudiFan
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Danny i'm having trouble finding them, i've just been looking at carsales.
It had around 200k from memory.
There was an Si in my suburb for 5k with 170k's.
But it doesn't look so clean.

SHould I be lookng elsewhere?

90LAN
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
fuel injected egs around brisbane sell for more than 5 k average around here
u will just have to look around
u cant expect a mint cond civic these days as the are pasting the 15yr age now most will have problems that need fixing even with rwc
unless u find a old granny who has owned it from new and hasnt driven it
there are a few around i have seen them lol
i would never buy a carby eg civic
waste of time and money if u wanna do upgrades later

henry.hamje
06-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I think it's quite cheap as compare 2 perth price. I think the sunroof can be replaced at a low cost price. For civics at 300km is still nothing. You should go with it. Sometimes its not the mileage, its all depends on how the owners have taken care of the engine. I've owned a Vti EG before only at 150km and it gave me so many problems because the previous owner was a youngster who loves to trash the car. hope that helps