PDA

View Full Version : Earthing of Euro

jtboo
14-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Has anyone tested the earthing in their Euro? I found mine to be insuffient. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to check it out. :(

ECU-MAN
14-09-2004, 12:08 PM
in regards to static ZAPs ?????

baboo
14-09-2004, 12:41 PM
how do you test it?
I just put a couple of cable to act as extra earthing.

Type R Positive
14-09-2004, 01:00 PM
I get static zapped all the time.

I was thinking about making up my own grounding kit with some good quality 4 guage wire. grounding points may include: injector grounding point, headlight grounding point, and a few more. It can't be that hard to do, and wouldn't cost more than say $60.

jtboo
14-09-2004, 01:00 PM
This is in relation to climate control. Whenever it cuts out, there my headlights dim for a while. Also, my stereo equipment effected by this.

Type R Positive
14-09-2004, 01:34 PM
This is in relation to climate control. Whenever it cuts out, there my headlights dim for a while. Also, my stereo equipment effected by this.

This is one thing that I have noticed as well. I don't think that it has anything to do with grounding, just current draw from the altenator / battery. I could be wrong.

One solution, just turn off your aircon! ha ha ha!

EuroAccord13
14-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Getting Static all the time is common, expecially during winter when the air is dry, your clothings rubs against the seats and when u exit and touch any metal part of the car, you get a zap... To reduce chances of zapping... Just touch the window or metal of the car and then step out of the car, problem solved... Don't bother buying more grounding kits whatsoever, it's not the car, it's you and the seats... unless you got leather seats, that helps :D

yfin
14-09-2004, 02:37 PM

I think the battery used by Honda is too small for the Euro (that is what my mechanic says anyway...)

PERTH_EURO
14-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I noticed the issue with current draw as well. (Gettin zapped dont bother me)

Part of my stereo upgrade was a new larger Orbital Deep Cycle Battery and re-earthing of battery to chassis, with 0 gauge, as thats whats feeding the install. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

will_pop
14-09-2004, 05:30 PM
well one thing helped is the voltage stablizor ... hum... actually i don't kno what that called in English... which is a small box that has several big capitators in them and it connects to the positive and negative of the battery... helped alot....

branded ones cost $200 ... the result will be good for 1.5-2.5liter cars...

but u can always DIY one keke

euro77
14-09-2004, 08:28 PM
My battery was replaced with Optima Yellow Top when I upgraded my audio system.
I tested my climate control with headlight on, and didn't notice any dimming. Maybe it's the Optima battery, but then again, I never really notice it when I still use the standard battery, so I can't tell for sure.

ECU-MAN
14-09-2004, 09:00 PM
the dealership told me it was the alternator and that they all do it. they say its normal. I find it anyoing. I dont thing beafing up the ground point will make a difference. but I dont know that for sure. those batterys do look a little small !!!!

Dutch
14-09-2004, 10:40 PM
I did make some modifications to the grounding system of my Euro. I still have the fading of the headlights so for that it didn’t make a difference. However after adding some extra wires to the earthing system the engine runs just a little smoother. It feels like it has to work just a little less hard when accelerating. Again it’s not much but it is noticeable

Richard

jtboo
16-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Dutch,
What mods exactly did you make?

baboo
16-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Just run a couple of good quality audio wire from starter motor, throttle body, cam cover..that sort of place and connect them back to the -ve of the battery or to the ground.

Type R Positive
16-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Did you use 4 guage wire or smaller or lager? It is a piece of piss to do, I don't know why people buy kits. You get a bit of satisfaction when you do something yourself plus it would be a custom individual job!

PERTH_EURO
16-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Below is a piccy of my upgraded power supply and ground.

0 gauge with Rockford Fosgate terminals and connectors.

http://img71.exs.cx/img71/9486/IMG_2313small.jpg

Dutch
17-09-2004, 12:23 AM
I put in some good quality 10 mm2 audio grounding wires. I used a goldplated battery clamp and some goldplated connectors. I connected the wires to the alternator, intake manifold, cylinderhead and anotherone to the chassis. I used some of the same black flexible tubes to route the wires trough, so it looks OEM ;)

Check out thise site... (http://www.lineagemotorsport.com/page2.html)

keric_02
30-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Getting Static all the time is common, expecially during winter when the air is dry, your clothings rubs against the seats and when u exit and touch any metal part of the car, you get a zap... To reduce chances of zapping... Just touch the window or metal of the car and then step out of the car, problem solved... Don't bother buying more grounding kits whatsoever, it's not the car, it's you and the seats... unless you got leather seats, that helps :D

yeah what he said... all the static zaps me more in winter than in summer

keric_02
30-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Below is a piccy of my upgraded power supply and ground.

0 gauge with Rockford Fosgate terminals and connectors.

http://img71.exs.cx/img71/9486/IMG_2313small.jpg

nice setup... how much did it cost u?

PERTH_EURO
31-05-2005, 02:18 AM
off the top of my head maybe about $500 (300 bat, 200 connectors and cable)

I have a rockford cap installed as well. At full doof there is absolutley no change in any of the lighting on the car.

BLKek
31-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Nice, brings back memories, my old car had a similar setup, probably a little bigger though, but damn sexy.... I love pretty cable...

coladuna
03-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I've never been zapped by my car yet.
I used to get zapped every single time with my previous car.