PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Noises

PhatSol
14-09-2004, 11:25 AM
On the rear coilover of my Sol, the OEM rubber dust boot is rubbing along the threaded housing of the strut. As the car goes up and down the it sounds like a frog... Is there an easy solution for this? :confused:

bennjamin
14-09-2004, 11:31 AM
You are using coilover sleeves i take it ?

( with OEM strut tops etc) ...what exact "coilover" are you talking of ?

With real coilovers , they do no usually come with a "dust sock" - simply unhook your suspension , and just remove the sock and this problem should go away.

but please give us exact info for us net-nerds to diagnose !

PhatSol
14-09-2004, 01:19 PM
They are the koni coilovers, not coilover sleeves. The koni instructions say to re-use the OEM dust 'sock'. You need the dust sock otherwise dust can get on the rod and destroy the strut. Just thought that mabey there is a trick for quietening them. Otherwise there's not really a problem beacuse the dust sock certanily isn't going to damage the thread.

bennjamin
14-09-2004, 01:31 PM
true true - maybe liek my yellows - your sock is slightly oval due to being deformed in some way - so the insides are rubbing - is there uniform wear on the sock anywhere ?

PhatSol
14-09-2004, 03:43 PM
true true - maybe liek my yellows - your sock is slightly oval due to being deformed in some way - so the insides are rubbing - is there uniform wear on the sock anywhere ?

Not sure yet, only been for a few drives... The koni coilovers are basically a set of yellows with a thread on them for the spring perch.

bennjamin
14-09-2004, 09:11 PM
If you are confident ebough , take them apart and tell us the results !

Or probably the easier option , is to jack the back up , and take off the wheel - looking for tell-tale signs of wear on the body , and suspension parts .

What rim width and offset are u running as well ? My car is quite low now , and under a large dip to the rear (such as coming off a speedbump etc) , the rear upper control arms actually "bounce" against the inner lip of my rear wheels - might be similar for you ?

Take it apart and let us know champ :)

PhatSol
14-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Sounds nasty! I didn't see any marks on the rear control arms when the coilovers went in. Ride height is actually set higher with the coilovers than with my old springs (not really a fan of the whole 'fully sik low car' thing). 99% sure that it is the dust socks making the noise. I don't expect the threads to get any ware, I think the sock is going to take all the damage lol! I might pull the wheels in a few days and see where the sock is wearing. Prehaps I can center the sock a little better so it dosen't rub... My wheels are 17x7", with unknown offset - came with the car ;)

bennjamin
14-09-2004, 10:25 PM
my "99%" guess is that the socks , for whatever reason - such as deformed , or since the actual shock dimensions are larger than stock hence the rubbing ... only way to find out for sure is to take out , and slowly move the socks to see if any contact etc.

Get to it...and get rid of those wheels lol !