PDA

View Full Version : Fully synthetic oil for the Euro - okay?

tanalasta
28-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, having run my car on Motul 4100 up to 10000km, then Motul 8100 before switching to Mobil 1 Gold 10-30W (from 20000km till now), my service manager decided to tell me today:

me: "By the way, I'm using my own oil like I usually do"
Honda: "which oil"?
me: "Mobil 1 Gold"
Honda: "oh, Honda doesn't recommend fully synthetic oils in their engines. Just thought I'd let you know"
me: "Really? What oil do you use then? FEO?"
Honda: "yes"
me: "didn't a certain Honda dealer use Shell Helix as routine"?
Honda: "umm.... yes we used to. But now we use Honda FEO"
me: "and out of curiosity, why do you recommend against fully synthetic"
Honda: "the engine runs at high temperatures. Just thought I'd let you know, it's your choice"

*blinks*

Is the dealer just trying to sell me the Honda FEO?

I'm waiting for Honda Australia to call me back on this one. I know many Euro users on this forum and personally who have no trouble with fully synthetic oils. Some European engines (BMW's and sports cars) also run hot and fine with Mobil 1 10-30W (gold bottle).

Anyone have any idea what I should tell the service manager when I pick up my car later? I was thinking of "tell you what, I'll send the oil for analysis before my next service just to make sure it's the oil I provided and that it's okay for the engine".

aaronng
28-05-2008, 01:03 PM
You can use any oil as long as it exceeds FEO spec.

Search next time before starting a new thread. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24150&highlight=synthetic

Closed.