PDA

View Full Version : the tank underneath the break master

connorling
28-05-2008, 05:03 PM
hi, i notice that there is a tank underneath the break master cylinder, it has a vacuum hose connected to the intake, and 3 other hoses, recently i notice there is some sand or clay leaking out of it, just wanna know what is the tank for and how to clean it, as i cannot undo the bottom hose. thanks

http://www.b17gsr.ca/swaps/itr_88crxsi/itr_crx_engine_harness.jpg

the pic above is not my car, but u can see a red vacuum hose connected to a tank under the wires, thats the one i am talking about..

CRXer
28-05-2008, 05:22 PM
The black canister is part of your evaporative emissions control.

It takes excess fuel vapour from the intake manifold & also the fuel tank & purges them back into the throttle body for reburning at appropriate times.

btw the bottom hose is not connected to anything u should be able to pull the canister up & out without to much trouble without disconnecting that hose.

civ04
28-05-2008, 05:26 PM
black canister aka charcoal canister.CRXer spot on

connorling
28-05-2008, 05:35 PM

It takes excess fuel vapour from the intake manifold & also the fuel tank & purges them back into the throttle body for reburning at appropriate times.

btw the bottom hose is not connected to anything u should be able to pull the canister up & out without to much trouble without disconnecting that hose.

but what's the sand clay looking thing leaking out from the top??????
how can i empty it?

civ04
28-05-2008, 05:41 PM
show us a clear picture bro

CRXer
28-05-2008, 05:47 PM
There just filled with charcoal pellets,im not sure exactly what your talking about(sand/clay?).

How is it leaking out the top,thru hoses or canister valve???

Yeh,get us a pic

dsp26
28-05-2008, 07:09 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33137&highlight=charcoal

Ever walked past a pre-1975 car and smelt fuel?? It is the fuel vapours escaping... used to cause a few explosions when people dropped ciggies next to the car!

Carbon canister basically absorbs petrol vapours from the tank and when a vacuum is applied, will release the vapours into the inlet manifold/throttle body for normal combustion.

connorling
14-10-2008, 04:09 AM
actually it is getting worse, i went under the car to change gearbox oil, those sand looking clay is everywhere...

JasonGilholme
14-10-2008, 07:28 AM
its probably a mixture of grease/oil and sand/dirt.

Possibly not coming from the canister itself.