PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Coilovers.

Red_EG4
28-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey there guys.
I was planning on doing a budget suspension set up on my EG GLi Hatchback, but a mate has convinced me to abandon that (and spend lots more money). My first plan was to buy Spoon progressive springs, ASR rear support brace + ASR rear Sway bar, an Ultra Racing 3 point front sway bar and an Ultra Racing 4 point rear sway bar. Firstly what is everyone's opinions on that idea? The car wouldn't be seeing a whole lot of track time just yet but will further into the future.

The second idea is to scrap all that and get a set of coilovers. I would be getting DC2R rear LCA's so I would be looking at DC2R coilovers. What coilovers would you recommend? I am not looking for the top of the line or anything. I would simply like damper adjustment and height adjustment. I have been told good things about Tein suspension and I can get a set locally but almost anything else will have to be sourced elsewhere. Also when I go to buy DC2R LCA's, do I need to purchase bushings seperately? Is DC2R LCA's a good way to go or should I look at aftermarket LCA's with EG/DC2 Coilovers instead?

Thanks in Advance.

Rivic
28-05-2008, 09:45 PM
i have D2 coilovers in my civ, all adjustible (exc. camber) handle great pretty happy with them so far.

bennjamin
28-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Mr Red EG4 - a rear swaybar + ASR brace will transform your cars handling much better than any set of coilovers ever could....

IMO get decent springs + shocks + ASR brace + 22mm swaybar. And thats it.

dc2vtir
28-05-2008, 11:44 PM
would that have the same effect on the track?

zco
29-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Mr Red EG4 - a rear swaybar + ASR brace will transform your cars handling much better than any set of coilovers ever could....

i'd disagree with that

i put on zeal b6 coilovers with 12/8 springs and then installed ek9 sway bar with asr and felt no difference. the coilovers were sufficient enuf

EKVTIR-T
29-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Yep.A decent coilover is sometimes enough.
But going the big rear sway lets you use a softer more forgiving spring/shock setup for daily driving and reduce body roll still.

bennjamin
29-05-2008, 12:06 AM
no , the coilovers were stiff enough to mask the swaybar. Run stiff enough springs and you dont need swaybars lol.

But for everything underneath (softer rated that is) a swaybar is a great thing. It dosent make a ride harsher / bumpier in anyway but increases handling greatly.

dc2vtir
29-05-2008, 12:07 AM
what about a good spring + shock combo compared to coilovers

say Koni Yellows + king springs and D2 coilovers for example

Red_EG4
29-05-2008, 05:46 PM

So is that something like Koni Yellows? or say DC2R springs/shocks?

94dc2tegz
29-07-2008, 10:09 AM
anyone tried koni coilovers? (not the koni yellows)

JohnL
29-07-2008, 03:37 PM
no , the coilovers were stiff enough to mask the swaybar. Run stiff enough springs and you dont need swaybars lol

Then (IMO) the springs were too stiff, and probably forcing the use of excessive damper rates as well. Stiffer isn't always better (as the actress ...).

JasonGilholme
29-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Ksport Coilovers (900 ish bucks), ASR brace, 22mm rear sway bar.

you'll love it ;)

Red_EG4
30-07-2008, 08:55 PM
wooo! old thread.
I have wacked the ASR Brace and 22mm Sway bar on. Haven't noticed much difference. What sort of speeds/corners am I going to notice the difference on?

JasonGilholme, where did you get your Ksports from? I've tried cheap coilovers. Won't do that again.

jdm_kid
30-07-2008, 08:59 PM
are you serious you haven't felt a difference ? lol cos when i went from stock 18mm to whiteline 22mm i felt a major difference

VTi_b0i
30-07-2008, 09:02 PM
same ^^ my rear end is so stiff now, i can drift around corners in the rain with out a handbrake LOL

Red_EG4
30-07-2008, 09:09 PM
are you serious you haven't felt a difference ? lol cos when i went from stock 18mm to whiteline 22mm i felt a major difference

same ^^ my rear end is so stiff now, i can drift around corners in the rain with out a handbrake LOL
Can't say I've pushed it very hard but no, nothing much different. Didn't drive the car for 2 weeks so maybe that has something to do with it?...

string
30-07-2008, 11:49 PM
You can feel it reversing out of a drive way!

If you've upgraded the rear swaybar but haven't upgraded the rear damping then you're really not going to feel much of a difference. Cars that are over/under damped at one end are really no fun to drive.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
31-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Stiffer isn't always better (as the actress ...).

Dammit i couldnt find the 100% appropriate picture to insert here...

Anyway

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/SHOGUNOVDDRK/100_1082.jpg

Oh SNAP!

string
31-07-2008, 12:18 AM
This is the sort of crap that comes out of Taiwan. It should be illegal to sell the dodgey shit like D2. The materials used are dangerously weak.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
31-07-2008, 12:20 AM
This is the sort of crap that comes out of Taiwan. It should be illegal to sell the dodgey shit like D2. The materials used are dangerously weak.

ummmm those are Jap Coilovers

good brand too

Cant quiet remember them but they are expensive new

string
31-07-2008, 12:38 AM
You always get what you pay for. In the case of expensive Japanese coil overs you pay a lot for hype and brand image.

Obviously not such a good brand if that sort of breakage is even possible, then again, I don't know anything more than the picture. For all I know the guy hacksawed it in half :D

hastE
17-09-2008, 03:05 PM
cusco zero2

takes on continous ripples as if driving on the freeway

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 03:56 PM
What about some 2nd hand BuddyClub N+'s, or Tein SS, or Tein Flex?

I think a good set of coilovers would out do springs and sway bars.

bennjamin
17-09-2008, 04:00 PM

if the car is sitting mostly at track go for it. Like any hardcore japanese cars advertised on option and best motoring , coilovers with massive rates are fantastic for perfectly flat smooth roads.
But last i checked we are in OZ with some average roads and average tracks too....Day to day a good rear and perhaps front swaybar upgrade will out perform and coilover package you can muster.

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I guess I like a firm ride. Sydney roads don't bother me in the slightest.

F.O.B Squad
17-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Dammit i couldnt find the 100% appropriate picture to insert here...

Anyway

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/SHOGUNOVDDRK/100_1082.jpg

Oh SNAP!

Yeah but are those made in japan or elsewhere?? Because i heard Buddyclub are made in taiwan now and they're a jap brand.....correct me if i'm wrong.

e240
17-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Yuuummmmm...definately made in Japan these...LOL

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/e240_a/DSC00792.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/e240_a/Suspension.jpg

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah but are those made in japan or elsewhere?? Because i heard Buddyclub are made in taiwan now and they're a jap brand.....correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe they were made in japan

Though i would imagine they have had a hard ****ing life

p.s yes Buddy Club is now Taiwan owned (due to them going broke)

Unsure if they are Thai made (though im sure Ricky can confirm)

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-09-2008, 04:31 PM
lol guys keep in mind the OP has already been and done the coilover thing...

His didn't go so well

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Unsure if they are Thai made (though im sure Ricky can confirm)

TBH, i'd have NFI.

Some people say they are made in Taiwan, some people say they are made in JDM land. No matter what, they aren't very good. I do however, like the N+ though... racing spec however... bllaahhh!

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 04:33 PM
j's racing CRUX

I would LOVE to try these out! They are meant to be the bestest!

Anyone used these. Doubt it with how much they cost. Sam/Monty will be using these on the DC5R J's Racing race car.

bennjamin
17-09-2008, 05:02 PM
you guys and your ultra hard pivot-on-driveway springs rates dammit.

Im too old to take this kinda stiff my kidneys would pack in lol .

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Im too old to take this kinda stiff my kidneys would pack in lol .

hahahaha

Ben go for a drive in Jessi's (rememeber meeting her before) hachi

It might be black and pink but your kidney will be hurting after :p

rpm boy
17-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I just installed Civic VTI-R's rear asr and 23mm rear sway bar and its absolutly unbelivable, the only problem we have now is the front end sliding out but definately a must i say. and tein ss would be perfect, i mean face it your at the most going to be doing track days once a month which 12 times a year... what happens to the other 300+ (leway for not driving) days of the year that you drive it on the bumpy sydney roads, ant there better then spring shock combo

NSPYRE
17-09-2008, 05:46 PM
TBH, i'd have NFI.

Some people say they are made in Taiwan, some people say they are made in JDM land. No matter what, they aren't very good. I do however, like the N+ though... racing spec however... bllaahhh!

just curious, wat do u have against buddy club RSD? i have them currently on my DC2 and found them a great upgrade...

Red_EG4
17-09-2008, 08:44 PM

I have something coming in a few weeks. Will let you guys know how they go. I am scared about spring rates though :O

lol guys keep in mind the OP has already been and done the coilover thing...

His didn't go so well
Yes Shogun thanks, I logged on to have a random PM about coilovers and came looking for this thread.

dc2vtir
17-09-2008, 09:27 PM
i think its more of which is the best coilover for your applications, as mentioned before there is no need for super stiff spring rates if its going to be 99% of the time on the road

i myself track at least 2-3 times a year and i've decided on the JIC FLT FAS series since spring rates are in between also my car is a lot lighter than say dc2's so i dont need my spring rates to be THAT stiff

my 2c

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 11:20 PM
just curious, wat do u have against buddy club RSD? i have them currently on my DC2 and found them a great upgrade...

I used to like them... then I saw the light. We like to call them a overpriced try-hard race suspension with no stroke, and too stiff springs for the shock.

Maybe good on Eastern Creek, but on winding roads like OHP, and wakefield and general putting around - not so great.

Don't get me wrong... they are a great upgrade man, just there is better for cheaper or the same price.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I used to like them... then I saw the light. I like to call them a try-hard race suspension with no stroke, and too stiff springs for the shock.

....would it be fair to say you see all Buddy Club coilovers that way?

Just asking :angel:

VTECMACHINE
17-09-2008, 11:26 PM
TBH, i'd have NFI.

....would it be fair to say you see all Buddy Club coilovers that way?

Just asking :angel:

See above. I absolutally LOVE N+. They are great! I would recommend them to all. I just don't like the Racing Spec, even though they are Miles more expensive, and marketing has proven them to be 'better'.

Would it be fair to say I don't like BC as a brand... then Yes, very fair.