PDA

View Full Version : Intake temperature experiment *edit* DIY CAI on page 2

D R U
29-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I've got a BLITZ R-VIT, installed on the euro, so i decided to play around with the intake to see what intake temps i got and how that affected the way the car felt.

Ambient temp was 16-18 degrees

SRI - exposed mushroom pod off the standard piping.

Initial temp - 30 degrees and rose to an average of 45, maxing out at 48.
Car felt great, responsive down low and felt like it revved a lot easier.
And the noise was awesome.
:thumbsup:

DIY comptech icebox - K&N panel inside the standard air box (resonator removed) with a cold air pick up.

Initial temp was 28 degrees, but this started to drop off instantly, was was down to about 25 by the time i back out of my driveway.
Average temp 19 degrees, max 20.
Car felt a little more restrictive down low compared to the SRI, but mid - top range felt very similar. But the noise is no longer there, very stealthy.

As a last experiment i drilled holes into the bottom of the air box to increase the volume of air entering the box and to see how this affected the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/DSC00056.jpg
Picture is from a post by dsp26, hope you don't mind me using it.

Initial temp was 18, average 25 and max 28.
Car didn't feel as responsive as either the SRI or the DIY comptech box (possibly due to the turbulence from the extra holes).
It felt almost like stock, with a little bit of an improvement in the top end.
But the noise.. just as good as the SRI..
:cool:

So for now the DIY comptech box stays until i get my CAI, and ill add that to the experiment as well.

beeza
29-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice one.So the ice box felt more restrictive down low and same mid/high as the SRI but the temps were lower.So why did U choose lower temps over more response?

Crapdaz
29-05-2008, 06:52 PM
i think if you drive using icebox + driving with open SRI for a week as an example.

due to various weather conditions you will find the SRI will be very inconsistent due to heat soak, but overall it has excellent low end increase due to short piping. Also note from what i found, SRI from my experience is the super loud elephant and gives rougher revs. CAI has smoother gains and is not as loud as CAI but has good high end. Comptech icebox i am not too sure, will convert back to SRI to see what its like with headers installed anyhow.

Just my thoughts.

Suntzu
29-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I found my fujita to be excellent power wise above 4000rpm but WAAAY to loud.

With my Comptech Icebox with K7N filter to have better torque below 4000rpm but looses a tiny bit at 6000rpm-76000rpm. Not too loud though.

If i had to guess id say the icebox temps are lower as the intake point is lower than the fujita.

BTW DRU excellent experiment, interesting results. How did you measure the temps.

i forget the physics but I think every 3 degrees about 25C you loose 1% HP. Cars are rated at 25C so if you get lower then you gain HP.

A warm euro on a cold morning is a great thing. Even better now with mods. Feels like a decently powerful beast.

D R U
29-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Nice one.So the ice box felt more restrictive down low and same mid/high as the SRI but the temps were lower.So why did U choose lower temps over more response?

Like crapdaz said, it was very inconsistent. I didnt drive for very long, about 15-20 minutes, so i couldnt really feel the deficit from heat soak, a longer test would show the difference better, might try this experiment again later when i can afford a proper CAI and add fuel economy to the experiment as well.

The box was very consistent only a few degrees above ambient temp and got closer to the ambient temp the more you drove and got air moving through the box.

I used my R-VIT to measure the intake temps, it plugs straight into the OBD-II port under the dash.
Not the most accurate way too measure it, but you get the general idea.

Crapdaz
29-05-2008, 09:16 PM
good on ya bro,

remember those days we had almost 30+ degrees that was what i was driving in with my SRI.

Killer inconsistencies, had to put alot of throttle sometimes to make it move.

BiLL|z0r
30-05-2008, 06:31 AM
6000rpm-76000rpm

I gotta get me 1 of those engines ;)

Crapdaz
30-05-2008, 06:50 AM
I found my fujita to be excellent power wise above 4000rpm but WAAAY to loud.

With my Comptech Icebox with K7N filter to have better torque below 4000rpm but looses a tiny bit at 6000rpm-76000rpm. Not too loud though.

If i had to guess id say the icebox temps are lower as the intake point is lower than the fujita.

BTW DRU excellent experiment, interesting results. How did you measure the temps.

i forget the physics but I think every 3 degrees about 25C you loose 1% HP. Cars are rated at 25C so if you get lower then you gain HP.

A warm euro on a cold morning is a great thing. Even better now with mods. Feels like a decently powerful beast.

HOLY MOLEY!!!

Suntzu
30-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah it takes ages from the 6000rpm mark to get to 76 0000 rpm, but i means I dont really need more than 1st gear to go from 0-1800kph. Fuel consumptions a bit heavy tho :)

Just jokes, I meant 7600rpm of course, i have the reflash so the cutout is at 7600rpm. Bit higher than normal, but it freaks me out a bit so i shift at 7100.

Crapdaz
30-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah it takes ages from the 6000rpm mark to get to 76 0000 rpm, but i means I dont really need more than 1st gear to go from 0-1800kph. Fuel consumptions a bit heavy tho :)

Just jokes, I meant 7600rpm of course, i have the reflash so the cutout is at 7600rpm. Bit higher than normal, but it freaks me out a bit so i shift at 7100.

you are a crazy man. nah would be good to see how your car is like with the flash.

beeza
30-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm looking forward to the next longer experiment :)

Suntzu
30-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I like experiments.Especially on other people cars :p

I am seriously thinking of installing a OBDII display device but have NFI whats the best value unit. Be great to see fuel consumption etc on my car since my model missed out on a trip computer.

Any suggestions?

aaronng
30-05-2008, 11:07 AM
They are not cheap, but Scangauge II has been used by a member here on Ozhonda before. http://www.scangauge.com/

beeza
30-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I remember seeing this a while back and thought what a great product.A great way to keep track of your engine and it's faults or habits etc.Should be about $230ish
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/IMG_2009_withdims.jpg

CRXer
30-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Your intake temps are like down to 20 degrees C??????:eek:

I'd like to know how accurate that blitz thing really is.............

When u get down to these low temps,your ECU is likely to start adding fuel,due to air temp compensations,so u'll be running rich.

However i think the blitz is just a little off.

I get intake temps(with big arse forward facing 100mm cold air feed into stock airbox) of like 60-70 degrees C when sitting around at idle & down to 40 degrees C at the lowest when going flat out.

It would be nice to know whose device is wrong.

Suntzu
31-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Your intake temps are like down to 20 degrees C??????:eek:

I'd like to know how accurate that blitz thing really is.............

When u get down to these low temps,your ECU is likely to start adding fuel,due to air temp compensations,so u'll be running rich.

However i think the blitz is just a little off.

I get intake temps(with big arse forward facing 100mm cold air feed into stock airbox) of like 60-70 degrees C when sitting around at idle & down to 40 degrees C at the lowest when going flat out.

It would be nice to know whose device is wrong.

Bullshit. As air temp drops, you need to add fuel as colder air is more dense.

Get your physics right before posting arse.

D R U
31-05-2008, 12:27 AM
It's just running off the OBD-II port.
I'm not too sure how accurate it really is, but what i wanted to show was the differences in temp and how that made the car feel.
The numbers themselves are arbitrary, just like dyno figures, its not helpful to compare different dyno's, but comparing figures from the same dyno can show you improvements or losses.

D R U
31-05-2008, 12:35 AM
BTW i couldn't wait (read: cant afford atm) for a proper CAI.
So i made a DIY intake, connecting some polished piping from the end of the OEM pipe down a pod filter sitting just behind the fog light.

Ambient temp was 14 degrees.

Initial temp was 35 (engine was already warm) but dropped to 25 as soon as i got out of the driveway.
Average temp was 18 degrees and it was very consistent, rising during periods of rest at the lights, but returning to 18 degrees very quickly after driving again.

It felt great! More responsive than the SRI and a more consistent pull all the way through the rev range. The noise is half way in between the SRI and the DIY comptech box.
I actually like this noise better, the SRI hits a frequency that kind of vibrates in your ears making in too loud at times, whereas this is just a nice induction noise, that doesnt get too much.
:thumbsup:

CRXer
31-05-2008, 12:36 AM

Oh god............here we go.............another one

Pull your head out of your own arse,arse breath

If u read what im actually saying,if the actual temp measuring device is WRONG then u will be adding fuel to air that is not actually colder & therefore more dense............get it.So u will be running rich.

I know my physics thankyou very much

CRXer
31-05-2008, 12:37 AM
It's just running off the OBD-II port.
I'm not too sure how accurate it really is, but what i wanted to show was the differences in temp and how that made the car feel.
The numbers themselves are arbitrary, just like dyno figures, its not helpful to compare different dyno's, but comparing figures from the same dyno can show you improvements or losses.

Yes,true,i see what your saying

CRXer
31-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I should add,that after reading what this blitz thing actually is,i didnt realise it was not some sort of ECU piggy back device & that it just reads info.Therefore it will not affect the fueling,unless of course the IAT itself is out of spec

beeza
31-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Do I have an OBDII port that I can plug the scanguage II into? My car is a 96 EK1 Civic.It's not the same plug U use for the engine check code is it?

CRXer
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Gee....i fkd up again..........

I shoulda said

I know my chemistry thankyou very much.....ya fkn n00b

Suntzu
01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Time to suck it up and move on sweetheart thats 5 posts this page. Get over it it and accept your losses.

Honestly.

Crapdaz
01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Rofl!

CRXer
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Time to suck it up and move on sweetheart thats 5 posts this page. Get over it it and accept your losses.

Honestly.

What losses?????????? n00b

Ur the only one that lost here darling,by calling me an arse for no reason

U prob still cant figure out how badly u lost,do ya n00b