PDA

View Full Version : June Wheels Magazine

VTECH
29-05-2008, 02:54 PM
The June edition of Wheels Magazine has a comparison between the Honda Accord VTI, Ford Mondeo LX, Mazda 6 Classic and a Skoda Octavia E’Gene. The Mazda came out in front but reading the test the Honda sounded more impressive and was cheaper. The tester particularly liked the paddle shifts. There main complaint was the over light steering and tire squeal. I particularly like the fact they run on unleaded fuel where is the Mazda ( and a lot of other cars) requires 95 RON for the same consumption.

aaronng
29-05-2008, 04:58 PM
They are comparing with the wrong Accord though. The real competition would be from the new Accord Euro, not the VTI.

skyflyer
29-05-2008, 10:05 PM
They are comparing with the wrong Accord though. The real competition would be from the new Accord Euro, not the VTI.

Yeah that. Agreed. It's Inspire in Japan anyway not Accord.

EuroBro
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I suppose they are comparing engine capacity rather than dimensions and weight. It's still a good review for Honda.

SPQR
01-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I suppose they are comparing engine capacity rather than dimensions and weight. It's still a good review for Honda.

Aaronng is right: They should have waited a month and done the comparison with the new Euro which, like the Mazda 6, runs on 95 R.O.N. P.U.L.P. but has a slightly smaller engine that produces considerably more power (Euro-147kW versus 6-125kW) and more torque. They are the same body size class whereas the Accord is the size of a Falcon/Commodore/Aurion.

It is interesting that the Editor in his column at the front talks about a fault in the new Nissan Skyline (Godzilla) and the TV advert for the Mazda 6 has a voice-over that talks about a fatal flaw and then claims that the 6 doesn't have one. I have found one in the 6: The sharply raking window frame at the back door is such that a person of my size (6 foot cube) would find it almost impossible to get into the back seat. I have no such trouble getting into the back of my Euro* and I expect that the new one is roomier again. So it's actually two fatal flaws in the 6; since there are two back doors that I can't use.

* I always do this test by getting the driver's seat in a position to suit me and then I try to get into the back seat.